Why become a member? ×

PAT testers who'll do bands or small batches of kit

Telebass

Thought I'd exhume this for stickying (please, O great Mods!). Whatever the merits of PAT testing, it rears its ugly mug more and more often, so I'll start the list with...ME! :)

Got the cert, got the kit, and am in Calstock, Cornwall. PM me for more details.

Den

Hi

We offer a national service for PAT Testing. Although we might charge a bit if we have to drive 300 miles to get to you, we often have engineers across the UK so we might have somebody nearby.

We normally charge £59.00 for PAT testing a DJ / Solo musician with up to 20 items, and £99 for PAT Testing for a Band (up to 50 items)

If we can't help directly, we can probably put you in touch with a local PAT testing company.

We've just revamped our website, but we're putting lots of useful information about PAT Testing on there - as this forum shows, there is a lot of mis-information out there.

[url="http://www.pat-testing-expert.com"]PAT Testing [/url]

Hope this helps

Tim James
PAT Testing Expert Ltd

[quote name='megahertz' post='436868' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:24 AM']Hi

We offer a national service for PAT Testing. Although we might charge a bit if we have to drive 300 miles to get to you, we often have engineers across the UK so we might have somebody nearby.

We normally charge £59.00 for PAT testing a DJ / Solo musician with up to 20 items, and £99 for PAT Testing for a Band (up to 50 items)

If we can't help directly, we can probably put you in touch with a local PAT testing company.

We've just revamped our website, but we're putting lots of useful information about PAT Testing on there - as this forum shows, there is a lot of mis-information out there.

[url="http://www.pat-testing-expert.com"]PAT Testing [/url]

Hope this helps

Tim James
PAT Testing Expert Ltd[/quote]
Thanks
That looks good.
It would be nice if your prices were easy to find on your website, Pat, and the price for training.
Regards,
OG

• 1 month later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='436930' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:41 AM']Thanks
That looks good.
It would be nice if your prices were easy to find on your website, Pat, and the price for training.
Regards,
OG[/quote]

Hi Apologies for that - we are changing the company around a bit but still able to do PAT Testing for bands and musicians.

The prices above are still valid, provided we have somebody close by. We're also building up a network of trusted individuals and companies (some of whom have got into it via our training courses) who can reach places where we don't have a full time engineer.

Also - just a thought - in these credit crunch times, we are seeing a rise in people attending our courses who then go off and set up a little business doing PAT testing. It can cost about £500 for training and the equipment to get started. (The cost of the course is £195 + VAT per person.) If any readers are in a situation where they might be able to test their own band and a few others in their area, it might be something to do 'on the side.'

10 years ago you could start a PAT testing business and pick up PAT testing work for Tesco, Next, Matalan etc and make a fortune, but in the current climate that sort of work is extremely competitive. But there are still thousands of hairdressers, DJs, joiners, plumbers etc, all with 30 or 40 items which need testing and are prepared to pay for it to be tested.

If you will forgive the shameless plug for our PAT course (others are available) I would be happy to give more advice to any muso looking for 'another string to their bow.' Pun intended. Sorry.

Tim

Exactly what I do, another string! However, my background as an electronics calibration engineer meant that PAT was an integral part of of my job for 10 years until 2003. The company paid for the training. So I thought it was about time I capitalised on that a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just had our band PAT tested. We used the services of:

[url="http://www.pattestingman.co.uk/"]http://www.pattestingman.co.uk/[/url]
01706 829000

I should say we are based in the Chorley (Lancashire) area. This guy was excellent. Punctual, and at £23 for the band (2 guitars, bass, PA system and a bit of lighting) very reasonable I thought.