Why become a member? ×

Buzz Feiten Tuning System

On 08/05/2020 at 20:58, warwickhunt said:

Do the newer Musicman basses not have a BF nut?  

I also had a Washburn bass that had it but I just tuned it 'normally', never knew I should do otherwise.  I do remember thinking it was b*ll*cks as it would be negated if the guitarist in the band didn't have the same.  

EBMM use a variation of the Earvana compensated nut, but with regular tunings. The Earvana nut is calibrated for each string, whereas the BF nut moves the nut closer to the 1st fret by the same distance for all strings. 

• 1 year later...

I've got an MTD bass and a Garrison acoustic guitar, both of which have the BF tuning system. The bass definitely sounds a bit more in tune with the rest of the band around the G on the 4th string, but who knows if anyone else can tell the difference. Couldn't say if it improves the guitar, as I'm a crap guitarist.

You need a tuner that can give cents (or pre-programmed with the offsets) for setting up the intonation, but once it's done, just tune all of the E's (9th fret on the 1st string, 2nd fret on the 2nd string etc.) to each other or against a regular tuner... At least, that's the theory. Seems to work... 

The zero fret on MTD basses is positioned with the BF offset already factored in - it's fractionally closer to the first fret than a normal zero fret would be for a given scale length, so doesn't negate the BF principle.