Why become a member? ×

Shortscale Bass Comparison in Pictures

anzoid

13 hours ago, three said:

Probably a good idea and I've thought of this too - I suspect that it improves both balance and reach.

Not on mine, and I tried moving the strap pins to different locations. My small bodied Series had by far the worst ergonomics of an bass I've ever played.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Not on mine, and I tried moving the strap pins to different locations. My small bodied Series had by far the worst ergonomics of an bass I've ever played.

Haha, yes - unless one has the height and physiology of SC, the sbss Alembics are a challenge. The first time I played one (a SII), I was staggered at just how far the nut is pushed out to the left (on a RH bass, of course). That said, in terms of playability and tone, they’re stunning. My - as yet unrealised - solution to balance and ergonomics involves a rather radical departure. If anzoid can include a shorty Alembic in his images, the weirdness should be fairly clear. For all my moaning, the sbss Alembic is probably my favourite in terms of aesthetics and tone.

• Like 1

This was my radical solution to neck-dive on a lovely pre-Chowny SWB-1. Knocked together from half of an old aluminium billy-can and 3mm strip. I decided the mod had to be easily reversible so there was just one small additional screw hole drilled into the back of the bass. The only costly part was getting it powder-coated. It was a fairly big job but looked surprisingly unobtrusive and worked a treat. Another one I regret selling.

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, three said:

As above, Wilcock and the Spector Shorty and Bantam would be much appreciated. Alembic also build a Darling shortscale but they’re very rare. Again, thanks Anzoid, a brilliant piece of work

Oops, apologies - I see there's a Bantam in there!

31 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

This was my radical solution to neck-dive on a lovely pre-Chowny SWB-1. Knocked together from half of an old aluminium billy-can and 3mm strip. I decided the mod had to be easily reversible so there was just one small additional screw hole drilled into the back of the bass. The only costly part was getting it powder-coated. It was a fairly big job but looked surprisingly unobtrusive and worked a treat. Another one I regret selling.

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

Thanks Scrumpymike - this is exactly what had inspired me.  I remember seeing this a few years ago and thinking what a brilliant idea.  I will of course credit you if I can ever get my nascent solution to work, though of course, I'm not considering this as any form of commercial venture!  I'm trying to avoid drilling any holes in the bass and working out how I can use the existing Schaller straplock system as a contributory support.  I really need to get in touch with some of the design engineers with whom I used to work - the thought of being able to play the SC on a strap (without the ergonomics issues) is very appealing. 

Edited by three

Just now, three said:

Thanks Scrumpymike - this is exactly what had inspired me.  I remember seeing this a few years ago and thinking 'what a brilliant idea'.  I will of course credit you if I can ever get my nascent solution to work! 

Ha-ha, thanks Loz. This was a home-made prototype to test the principle. It would be relatively easy for anyone with the necessary design tools to come up with a more discrete, fully adjustable version to fit the usual neck-dive suspects. I'd initially considered mounting from the neck-plate fixings but that obviously rules out anything with a set neck including the SG - which is probably the most popular neck-diver of all 🙂

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, three said:

That said, in terms of playability and tone, they’re stunning. {snippage}

For all my moaning, the sbss Alembic is probably my favourite in terms of aesthetics and tone.

Agree mainly on both points, but I prefer the LS Series basses for the most part as I prefer 5s and 6s.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2023 at 19:48, jazzyvee said:

Not the best balancing basses but you can get used to it. 👍🏾

I'm afraid I can't - more than twelve years of perseverance and I've now given-up.  As above, I'm working on a solution and met with a renowned design engineer this week.  I do love working with designers - full of smart ideas and solutions