Why become a member? ×

is something burning?

bassmansky

just bought a squier cv 60's p-bass.started playing through my practice amp and after a little while could smell something like plastic getting hot.on inspecting the bass i found the smell was coming from the pups.i had taken the protective film off but ive never known pups to smell like that before.is something wrong inside?

I think there is already a thread about warm pups.

I would suspect this could be something quite bad, if you can get shocks through your amp earthing via your bass, this would indicate such a problem would allow current to pass through your bass, in this case, if its going via the pup, it would get warm as a thin copper coil is very much like a heating element. I'd get a new amp.

If they do just smell plasticy, does the smell fade, when it isn't plugged in?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='420616' date='Feb 27 2009, 08:31 AM']I think there is already a thread about warm pups.

I would suspect this could be something quite bad, if you can get shocks through your amp earthing via your bass, this would indicate such a problem would allow current to pass through your bass, in this case, if its going via the pup, it would get warm as a thin copper coil is very much like a heating element. I'd get a new amp.

If they do just smell plasticy, does the smell fade, when it isn't plugged in?[/quote]
the smell fades when its not plugged in.i will try my jazz through the amp but never had a problem before.

I'd be very worried about the amp!

Can you get access to a voltmeter/multimeter? If so, plug your lead in and , with the amp on, measure across the tip and sleeve of the end you'd plug into the bass. With the meter on a DC voltage measurement range (start on a high range and work down if no reading). If you see anything above a few millivolts then I think you've got a problem.

If I had to guess it may be an input capacitor gone short circuit letting the pre-amp supply voltage (12v-ish) through to the pickup.

Can't think of any reason to check the bass if it's totally passive.

[quote name='thinman' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:21 PM' post='422626']
I'd be very worried about the amp!

Can you get access to a voltmeter/multimeter? If so, plug your lead in and , with the amp on, measure across the tip and sleeve of the end you'd plug into the bass. With the meter on a DC voltage measurement range (start on a high range and work down if no reading). If you see anything above a few millivolts then I think you've got a problem.

If I had to guess it may be an input capacitor gone short circuit letting the pre-amp supply voltage (12v-ish) through to the pickup.

Can't think of any reason to check the bass if it's totally passive
thanks for that.but why would it do it to the squier pup and not on my jazz?have to see if i can get a meter from somewhere.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='423579' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:44 PM']i have it switched to dc and have been making contact with lead,nothing.i know the meter works because i tested a battery with it.ive changed meter wires round to see if it makes a difference,nothing!what ive read elsewhere shouldnt you test inside amp?[/quote]

If there was a voltage I'd expect it to be DC - if it was AC you probably hear it very loudly (assuming it was at an audio frequency)!

If you're reading 0v then either the meter's on too high a scale or there's no problem.

Pickups heating up though would seem to imply some form of energy getting in there, i.e. a current passing though but as you mention, the fact it doesn't happen on another bass is odd.

• 2 weeks later...