Why become a member? ×

Advice on a 15" ext.

fekalizatorius

[quote]Maybe a 2x10 is better in this instance than a 1x15 - but what weighs more - a Durex filled with 16 x 1 oz. lead weights or a Durex filled with 16 ozs of feathers?[/quote]

Personally, I'd go with the Durex filled with 16x1 oz of lead, more compact & easier to swing at guitarists making stuff up on the spot.

Whatever you decide, I'd probably go with neo speakers to keep the weight down.

[quote name='redstriper' post='430899' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:33 AM']You people kill me!

The guy asked a simple question - which 15" cab would you recommend to use on it's own or
with his 4x10.
Hardly anybody has given him a straight answer, just a load of ego driven point scoring which is of no interest to anyone but the pathetic 'experts' trying to promote themselves.

If the OP is still bothering to read this post, I'll make it really simple for you -

Buy an Ashdown mag115, (used if possible) or buy the unloaded 115 on sale on this very forum and fit an Eminence 3015.
I have used both and either way I don't think you will be disappointed, it is a great value single cab solution that isn't too heavy and should do the job nicely.[/quote]
EXCELLENT Reply....I just [i][b]knew[/b][/i] you would be an old bastard like me. !!

[quote name='flatwound' post='433169' date='Mar 13 2009, 04:49 AM']....I have got NO idea what the *#@% they are talking about but I am interested, as that is what I wish to buy.....a 4x10 and a 1x15, am I doing the wrong thing then,...???....[/quote]
Listen to the gear first and buy with confidence.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='433206' date='Mar 13 2009, 03:54 AM']Probably :)[/quote]+1. Why are you adding the 1x15? To get more low end. Google Hoffman's Iron Law. Simply put if you want to go lower you must either have a larger cab or a lot more power. If you have two cabs of the same size and same power the one can not go significantly lower than the other while maintaining the same output level, irrespective of what size drivers you use. This goes to laws of physics, which is not trumped by either opinion or advertising.
Adding a second cab will get you more output, but so long as it is the same size and driver displacement it really doesn't matter all that much what's in it. And since the average 4x10 has more displacement than the average 1x15 adding another 4x10 will give you more output than adding a 1x15. Which is what I said five pages back.