Why become a member? ×

Lockdown learning the piano - Skoove

Mickeyboro

I have decided to learn the piano while we are waiting for life to recommence. I have got a three-month trial of Skoove, which  teaches via the iPad, and within a week I have played a couple of things with two hands. Not well, but something I thought was beyond me.

Anyone else tried this journey or has had dealings with Skoove?

• Like 2

We're doing something similar - our neighbour across the road has just kindly given us a keyboard so the eldest is having a go at it.

She's been using Simply Piano which was good, but exhausted the free content in an evening.

Will have to take a look at Skoove

• Like 1

I havn't tried any online learning stuff, I have lessons with a teacher - I'm sure it's more expensive but whether it is less value..? Maybe not, since she teaches me exactly what I need at the time (she's good, it works for me, especially because my musical taste is a bit narrow). What I can say is that I have got loads out of learning piano, musically. I remember when my ex Mrs did an access course in music (and part of a degree), whatever your instrument was you still had to be grade 5 piano as well. Not sure what happened if your instrument was piano.

I think it's that thing where, if you only look at something from one angle, you don't always see what it's shape is, but if you see it from another angle you start to see what it really is. Not sure if that makes sense, but seeing music from another point of view has made loads of things click that never have with playing guitar and bass. Obvs that's on top of the fact that it's a fun thing to play and not that hard to get a decent sound out of.

Plus you can give up bass anyway, cos you can do it all with your left hand. :)

Quick PS, I am the worst for not being able to do things independently with my hands (or anything else - I can't speak when playing bass!) and I've managed to learn to play with both hands, if I can do it anyone can. 

• Like 1