Why become a member? ×

Filter/wah effects

BTGAndy

I'm looking to get a filter or auto wah pedal, something funky with a throaty growl to it. I've been looking specifically at the MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q, has anyone here had any experiences with this pedal or could they suggest anything worth trying out? No EHX pedals please, I hate them.

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='419012' date='Feb 25 2009, 08:44 AM']I'm looking to get a filter or auto wah pedal, something funky with a throaty growl to it. I've been looking specifically at the MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q, has anyone here had any experiences with this pedal or could they suggest anything worth trying out?[/quote]

The Bass Auto Q is quite tame-sounding. The filter works well and it's easy to adjust, but it's a bit polite for my tastes, and the auto-wah section seemed a bit half-baked to me. It's the only filter I've had that never even made it on to my board. Other people seem to like it well enough though.

Shame you ruled out EHX because most of the Q-Trons sound great and they're cheap.

For a cheap option, maybe look at the DOD FX-25. If you want to spend more look at one of the boutique Meatball clones that are out there (Meatwad, Barge Grinder, 3Leaf Groove Regulator) or if you're independently wealthy, try sourcing an original Mu-Tron III. Those are all funky-sounding filters.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='419355' date='Feb 25 2009, 03:43 PM']The Bass Auto Q is quite tame-sounding. The filter works well and it's easy to adjust, but it's a bit polite for my tastes, and the auto-wah section seemed a bit half-baked to me.[/quote]

I own a Bass Auto Q and I love it, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of it. I nearly sold mine last month in a moment of madness, but I'm very glad I didn't. Not to do with the pedal itself, just for some strange reason, I thought I no longer needed an envelope filter. Silly me!

Personally, I don't really bother using the auto-wah section, I have the blend knob at below 9 o'clock and the decay set almost off (not sure about the rate). Hardly makes any difference to having the blend knob turned fully off, but I can tell if I listen carefully. I really dig the envelope filter section though, nice and mellow sounding, but with some nice distortion after it, I've found I can get some very cool Andrew Weiss (Rollins Band) type sounds out of it. Quite subtle on it's own, but can get fairly nasty (in a good way) with some dirt after it. Exactly what I need.

It's got a volume knob too, which I effing love. Oh yeah, and you can get some nice "beep beep beep...." noises out of it, when combined with lots of volume and feedback, the speed of which can be controlled by the rate knob, which can be fun at the end of a song (or any part for that matter) ;)

Cheers guys, the reason why I dont like EHX pedals is that I've never had a quiet one yet, they hiss like nothing else on my board and when you stand on them they pop very loudly. It's a real shame because I'd probably just be using a bassballs for this kind of thing but I sold mine because of the noise.

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='419838' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:06 AM']Cheers guys, the reason why I dont like EHX pedals is that I've never had a quiet one yet, they hiss like nothing else on my board and when you stand on them they pop very loudly. It's a real shame because I'd probably just be using a bassballs for this kind of thing but I sold mine because of the noise.[/quote]

You need a EBS Bass IQ... best sounding, most versatile filter pedal...

IMHO opinion of course.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='419851' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:23 AM']You need a EBS Bass IQ... best sounding, most versatile filter pedal...

IMHO opinion of course.[/quote]
okay, best sound you can argue, but most versitile??? how??

Had a few, still got a few!

EBS Bass IQ - sounds good, but not the most versatile
MF 101 - OK filter, had two, always thought I could get it to work better, but it just lacked something, needs to be in a Loooper too as it sucks tone, worth a punt though
Q-tron - always too loud, needs a buffered loop or something, there are a lot better out there
FX25B - odd one this, you gotta try one, it can be a bit extreme, good for quick envelope style bursts I find, as opposed to full on filtered grooves
Original Mutron - One of the best, but not the most versatile, it doen't need to be though! Loads of $$
Re-issue Mutron - Not bad pedal, poeple write it off cos its the re issue, better than a q tron, worth a try
Meatball - nice filter, mucho versatility, same applies to the clones that are around such as the previously mentioned meatwad, loads of ££

Got a 442 coming, had one before, not recent though, so will add that once it's been played

Filters are meant to be played, not just made to go quack, I find they make my playing a lot more dynamic as I tease the filter to open itself up and swallow me whole ;)

T

ive had a couple.

I had a micro qtron to begin with, alright for the money, but it was way too loud in the only setting it worked best with my bass. But as you dont like ehx nevermind.

If your not looking to spend mega bucks the ashdown is a good one to look at, has some nice filters in there.

Currently im actually using the filter in the bass piod i recently got and thats fairly good, but i too, have a 442 on the way

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='420392' date='Feb 26 2009, 08:49 PM']Meatball - nice filter, mucho versatility, same applies to the clones that are around such as the previously mentioned meatwad, loads of ££

Got a 442 coming, had one before, not recent though, so will add that once it's been played[/quote]

I bought a BYOC 440 clone after I'd had my Meatwad for a while, partly because I was planning to ship my Meatwad out for more mods, and I wanted a cheap pedal I could plug my exp. pedal into while the 'wad was being fettled. In the end that fell through when the pound crashed, but the 440 I found was too subtle anyway.

I've been A/B-ing my Meatwad with the Agent 00Funk circuit in the Octavius Squeezer tonight and, while the Squeezer circuit is more flexible (potential ADSR envelope if you want it, precise top and bottom ranges you can set) and better for synth tones, the Meatwad still totally creams it in the funk stakes.

Nearly a year on and nothing's bettered my Meatball clone. It's a winner.