Why become a member? ×

Machine head drill size p bass

Hi,

I've used (sharp) flat bits to cut machine head holes and they turned out fine. The only thing you must do in my experience when drilling these holes is to have a pilot hole and clamp the neck to another piece of wood so there is no tear out when the drill passes through the back of the headstock. Takes a little longer to do but results are worth it. As usual, always good to give this a try on a bit of scrap first.

I haven't used a forstner bit for this (yet) but I think the Axcaliber ones that Axminster tools do are really good. I've used a few of these for other bass related jobs and have been very pleased with them. I might just buy one for doing machine heads as the cut from these is very clean.

Cheers

Surely the hole size depends on the machine heads you are intending to fit?

As others have said, drill a pilot hole first. I'd want to be using a pillar mount drill to guarantee that the holes were at exactly 90° to the surface of the headstock. I've also see build videos where the luthier will drill the full-sized holes half way through and then flip the neck over and drill from the other side to prevent tear out. You will definitely need pilot holes and a pillar mount drill for this method.