rze99

Show us your stack knobs!

1 hour ago, BritBass 2 said:

1983 ‘62 Fullerton Reissue.6E55D10E-73FB-448B-8B3E-38CB48FED2B9.thumb.jpeg.377009badc9056d0ef66b6382493608b.jpegD954F130-C359-44EE-B504-EE791B6919E8.thumb.jpeg.6983bdb54546d9091d701ffb5d4d8147.jpegF6F19497-78AA-4D6E-B228-96F03765F540.thumb.jpeg.6082c5549200df2801e10c4993f075bf.jpeg6CE46A56-6A97-4AA8-9A9E-CFE20BA20A69.thumb.jpeg.c8876634324526ad36c059bef13c650c.jpeg

That’s a mighty fine specimen you have there. Lovely. 

29 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Guy Pratt soundchecking in Edinburgh using my white stack knob Jazz Bass 

Sweet. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. 

And got mine finished last night. Earlier than I thought. I’ll post some pics and details when I get some time later. 

1 hour ago, rze99 said:

That’s a mighty fine specimen you have there. Lovely. 

Thank you. Along with the Japanese JV series basses Fender was really trying hard to recapture the essence of those 50’s & 60’s models . The early American Vintage Reissue Series (1982-84) was an  interpretation of how Fender wanted a traditional range which would find favour with 80’s musicians. The Jazz Bass necks were exceptionally slender and fast too.

• Like 1

So here is my parts stack knob replica. 

I tried the Fender Flea bass  - essentially a '61 replica relic and I thought it was absolutely perfect for me... apart from the mechanical relic work and rather grey faded pink which I know some love, it's fantastic. It has a really wonderful aged neck, great Fender '64 Pure Vintage pickups and proper USA CTS Stack pots.

So I waited to find one, and I bought one used last year from a West End theatre musician locally for a very good price with hard shell case - to then customise it to my needs. To be frank, once I'd got the Flea used it for some recording and it is was so good I was in two minds about breaking it up. But I didn't like the finish much and I really wanted it to be aged Oly white!

Rexter Guitars https://rexterguitars.co.uk/ I have worked with a few times and Jon there does lovely thin nitro finishes the way I like them to my specs. Plus he's a lovely guy to work with. (no affil). So I did a bunch of research on the early '60s stack knobs and sent him some sample Oly White pics I liked and described the way I wanted it aged. So I commissioned a replacement body from him (the original Flea I will sell - ping me if you want it).

I really think he did a great job (as usual), a hit of yellowing, fine checking, light distressing... so this build is a Fender-Rexter bass. The body, and hand made made tort guard are Rexter Guitars, Fender Pure vintage cover parts, aged wood pull bar, natural bone nut cut cut are by my me. It plays and sounds great. Link to a set of pics https://imgur.com/gallery/GFXN9FU

IMG_6589.JPG
IMG_6431.JPG
IMG_6460.JPG IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6549.JPG
IMG_6576.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG
IMG_6606.JPG
IMG_6620.JPG

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, rze99 said:

I tried the Fender Flea bass  - essentially a '61 replica relic and I thought it was absolutely perfect for me... apart from the mechanical relic work and rather grey faded pink which I know some love, it's fantastic.

When the road worn fenders first came out there was someone one Here showing how the nitro top coat could be wiped off with meths or white spirit or something leaving a sealed body ready to be resprayed whatever colour you wanted...

On 22/04/2020 at 08:46, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Here’s a couple, ‘60 & ‘61.

D60513F6-9F49-46BB-A5EA-B7106AD15B2B.jpeg

I was going to say “wow” and then you went and pulled out a custom colour one too! 

9 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

When the road worn fenders first came out there was someone one Here showing how the nitro top coat could be wiped off with meths or white spirit or something leaving a sealed body ready to be resprayed whatever colour you wanted...

Yeah it sort of feels plastic. Like a transfer. It doesn’t feel like realnnitro. Jon’s does of course and it smells lovely too.  

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Interesting the Road Worn finish painted areas feels like it is not nitro but it doesn’t look like it would be as trivial as you’ve heard to remove. I considered this with the Flea Body but I’m sure Someone out there wants it and I didn’t want the messy work of stripping and refin myself. I don’t really have the Right kit for one thing. 

Posted (edited)

With Series/Parallel; 😎

Oh, and solderless connection 😍

20190917 121432 61 Jazz Bass with SP Side View.jpg

Edited by KiOgon
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

With Series/Parallel; 😎

Oh, and solderless connection 😍

20190917 121432 61 Jazz Bass with SP Side View.jpg

Cool kit :)

On 23/04/2020 at 20:17, rze99 said:

Thank you so much @Rick's Fine '52I really can't wait to see them. That is my perfect bass!

Sorry, haven’t forgotten, just enjoying the sunshine! PM me what pics you want to see, and I’ll get them over later today! 

thank you @Rick's Fine '52

That'd be great. Wait until the rain comes next week!

I'd especially love to see a few more detailed shots of the 1961 Jazz  Olympic White

Also your '53 Precision  blonde, blackguard, and 1966 Precision white blonde if you have an easy link to them.

That's a spectacular collection and great taste.

R

1 hour ago, rze99 said:

thank you @Rick's Fine '52

That'd be great. Wait until the rain comes next week!

I'd especially love to see a few more detailed shots of the 1961 Jazz  Olympic White

Also your '53 Precision  blonde, blackguard, and 1966 Precision white blonde if you have an easy link to them.

That's a spectacular collection and great taste.

R

No probs. PM me your email address. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kdubb24
      Up for sale is a pair of older model Sadowsky 4 String Humcancelling Pickups with raised A & D poles
      Perfect working condition, the neck pickup hot lead is a little short and cover has a little cosmetic damage as shown in photo (hidden when the pup is mounted) or you can put them in other covers 😉
      £75 delivered

• By FEND3R
      PRICE DROP - NOW £2050 or sensible offer

1990 Fender Custom shop fretless Jazz Bass. As you can expect from a John Page era custom shop bass – a superb instrument and one of the earliest Fender fretless jazz basses that I have seen from Fender (after the extremely rare ones from the 70s).
      As one can expect the bass has been played a lot and shows a lot of dings and dongs, patina on the hardware, etc., but is all original and in perfect functional condition: straight neck with more place in the truss rod to adjust (it is not maxed out), all electronics and hardware work accordingly, action can be set very nice and low. The bass is superbly responsive, resonates extremely well with great dynamics and the harmonics are just amazing – it both sings and does the “mwah” just as well. I have not made any attempts to renew the hardware (remove the patina), because IMHO it gives it character, but if you wish my bass tech can do that prior to shipping. Width at nut is 38mm and the bass weights 4,07kg. according to my home scale. It comes with a black tolex case, probably not original.
      More detailed pictures can be found here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzum76RP3hJfic3s5
      Why am I selling it if its such a great bass – I am letting go a part of my collection and keeping only the vintage precisions. The asking price is less than what it costed me, but can consider sensible offers. No trades, I am afraid, unless it is a well played pre-1974 precision or recent B-15. Also, if you purchase it and do not find yourself to like it – I can take it back as long as you cover the shipping and payment fees.
      Any questions – please, feel free to ask. Price includes shipping to most parts of EU.  
      You can check my feedback here : 

• By 1966powers
      ♦️ I am selling this bass from the De Gier brand, with only 10 months.
      BeBop 4 model, finished "relic".
      Still under warranty (14 months).
      I'm interested in a trade for a 5-string bass  type Fender Ultra Jazz Bass V or similar;
      I am also interested in Yamaha trb 5p (Adjusting the difference in value)
      Spec:
      Bodywood: Alder. 
      Neckwood: Maple.
      Fingerboardwood: Rosewood.
      Inlays: White pearloid dots.
      Pickups: Fralin.
      Bridge: Chrome.
      Tuners: Chrome.
      Colour: 3 tone Sunburst.
      Relic Finish.
      Pickguard: Darkest Red Tortoise Celluloid.
      Original bag included.
      Shared shipping costs.

• By bensilva
      Here for sale is my MIM 2013 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, this is the version still with the Badass Bridge, only flaw that he as is on transportation once got bumped and the varnish on the strap button cracked as well on the bottom. 
        Will ship it with a pair of Schaller straplocks   About shipping, will ship to Europe and U.K, shipping cost will be determined by UPS, use them on a fair amount and their work with my packages has been stellar. 
        I am a user of this forum for a few years and this is the first time i am selling something in this platform, therefore there is no reviews on myself, in case of doubt you can pm me and will show my reverb reviews no worries at all. 
        cheers    

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

WARRIOR Dran Michael 7 (DM7) Custom NT Signature, top of the range model, early bird, 1996.

ONLY POSSIBLE TRADE : LEDUC U-BASSE FRETLESS 6 !
      NON NEGOTIABLE PRICE !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1800 GBP !!! (new price still is $8000 USD..)

Fully working and in excellent condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body  : two aged purpleheart wings
      Top : thick aged flamed maple
      Neckthrough : 3 pieces aged hard rock Canadian maple and aged purpleheart with two veneers of aged purpleheart and aged maple on each sides of the aged purpleheart core (quite thin and fast neck, think Leduc)
      Fretboard : thick (7 mm) 16" radius Amazon rosewood (Spruceana Dalbergia) fitted by Christophe LEDUC (his last piece of the very old stock)
      Frets : 24 (no wear at all as they are almost brand new and fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Headstock : angled 4 + 3 shape with aged flamed maple thick veneer
      Pickups : 2 x Warrior-Bartolini humbuckers
      Preamp : Warrior-Bartolini NTMB-918 FL first version (18 Volts) with the "tone killer" Sparkle Circuit removed and replaced by a classic gain
      Controls : volume (push-push, yes push-push, active/passive), blend, stacked bass and treble, 3 way mid switch (250 Hz, 500 Hz, 800 Hz), mids
      Tuners : Warrior-Gotoh
      Bridge : Hipshot "A" Style with typical Warrior strings through for B, E and A (they can be fitted at the bridge too)
      Strings spacing at bridge : 16.5 mm
      Nut : bone (new one fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : gold metal
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : gold
      Truss rod : one single action (fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Finish : translucent anointed oil as Warrior calls Tung oil
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : 04886
      Year : 1996
      Weight : 5.493 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the F string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th position (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with a brand new Fame fake brown snakeskin hard case (with one key as it was delivered like this), like the ones Warrior used. The bass also comes with a brand new set of Dunlop gold Straplok as it's fitted with the flush mount strap system.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC when he did the new fretboard fitting, which also received a differential dressing. It has received two new batteries and has been fitted with a brand new set of Pyramid SSSL strings (22 - 27 - 47 - 67 - 87 - 107 - 128).

Long story short, this bass started its life as a fretted, then has been defretted, then refretted, then defretted again and received the last (too much) refretting leaving the fretboard almost non existent. So, I decided to give this bass its original design and it received a thick Amazon rosewood fretboard with classic silver-nickel frets and a new truss rod (4 mm  Allen key) as the original had broken (a common known problem by old Warrior basses). I chose the Amazon rosewood because it's quite close to the Brazilian rosewood when it comes to tone with clear and powerful low mids, thick bass and silk highs, but is also close to purpleheart in terms of colour and tone too (more low mids and less scooped by Amazon rosewood). Couple this with the full Bartolini design and you get a very versatile bass that cuts through the mix. And then the bass started some kind of Tour de France to get back to me, but it's too heavy for me (now), even if it's really easy to play thanks to the quite thin neck with a 16" radius fretboard.

Link to the Warrior Dran Michael basses : https://warriorbass.com/warrior-dranmichael.php

Link to the Warrior-Bartolini page : https://bartolini.net/builder/warrior-instruments/

Link to the Bartolini NTMB-918 FL page : https://bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/Docs/Electronics/EQs/ArchiveEQs/NTMB-918fl.pdf

Link to the Pyramid strings fitted : https://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_7_string_bass_set_sssl_022_128.htm

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken under different angles and light to see the excellent condition of this bass. And yes, the hard case is brown, but it's hard to photograph. The mark at the back of the neck that you can see clearly on the 8th photo is the sugar of the maple that has burned when sanded. This also attests the high quality of the maple used.

Here is the link to the 43 photos in high resolution : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OHOI7lEQ6IfqoZj36R-oBoffBRi8__VS?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.