Left leaderboard
Basilpea

Fretless Warwick RB Star bass 5-string
£400
Epsom, Surrey

Only bought this a few weeks ago, then found an MB2.  Condition is as new in original packing as sent from Germany.  Plays well, it has the original strings supplied but deserves some better ones.  Mirror finish (makes it difficult to photograph).  Thomann's current price is £925

Can post to UK address for £20.  Collection OK when government guidance permits.

5-String Electric Bass

• Top, sides and back: Maple
  • 4-Piece laminated neck: Maple with ekanga veneer stripes
  • Fretboard: Wenge
  • Fretboard radius: 660 mm
  • Frets: 21 Extra high, nickel silver, jumbo
  • Scale: 866 mm (long scale)
  • Just a Nut III (made from Tedur)
  • Nut width: 45 mm
  • Pickups: Passive MEC Vintage single coils
  • Passive electronics
  • Controls: 2 Volume & 2 Tone
  • 3-Way toggle switch for pickup selection
  • Machine heads: Warwick
  • Bridge: 2-Piece Warwick
  • String spacing: 16.5 mm
  • Distance B to G-string: 66 mm
  • Hardware: Chrome
  • Warwick Security Locks
  • Weight: 3.9 kg
  • Original strings: Warwick RED (42301 M) .045" - .135"
  • Colour: Black solid high-gloss

Further Information

Colour Black
Soundboard Maple
Neck Maple, Ekanga
Fretboard Wenge
Frets 21
Scale Long Scale
Pickup System SS
Elektronic Passives

IMG_3540.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

IMG_3549.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3541.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice.  Where are the side dots, please?

Sorry, I forgot that.  Now posted.  It's difficult to photograph this bass, because of the high gloss finish all you get is reflections of me holding the camera (phone).IMG_3556.HEIC

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

Thanks for the pics :)

But I should have been more specific, sorry.  Are the side dots on the positions where the frets would be?  In other words, are they in the right place for fretless play?  I've been ambushed by this before, which is why I ask.

No problem.  In common with all Warwick basses (and all other sensible ones), the dots are on the fret positions.  I know this is important as I've had the same problem myself in the past - can't imagine why anyone would want the dots in-between the frets on a fretless bass??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jassbass said:

Looks amazing 

Wish it was fretted

The description says it has :

• Frets: 21 Extra high, nickel silver, jumbo

Theres a rabbit away somewhere 😎

21 minutes ago, Oldman said:

The description says it has :

• Frets: 21 Extra high, nickel silver, jumbo

Theres a rabbit away somewhere 😎

Oh yeah 

Weird

2 hours ago, Basilpea said:

No problem.  In common with all Warwick basses (and all other sensible ones), the dots are on the fret positions.  I know this is important as I've had the same problem myself in the past - can't imagine why anyone would want the dots in-between the frets on a fretless bass??

Thanks. 

I guess it's a thing to cut manufacturing costs, but it's definitely silly.

Yes I'm now the proud possessor.  I had to go a long way north of Watford to get it (luckily before the lockdown), but the trip was well worthwhile.  Loving every minute of incarceration now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jassbass said:

I’m not a fretless player but this just looks so good

Playing fretless is probably not as difficult as you think.  You'll never be a fretless player unless you give it a try - if it doesn't work out you should get your money back on this without much problem.  Put some nice flats on it though, unless you don't mind putting up with the wear on the fingerboard, and your fingers.

• Like 1

In my experience, dipping your toe in the Fretless pool is easier, if (in this case) you already play a 34” scale bass. 

You will know where the notes are on your Fretted, so use your tuner in line to practise a riff/tune on your Fretless checking your intonation as you go.... use a backing track. It’s not an overnight sensation but doable.

And this does look good, so much better than the “Jack Cassidy” Lookalike 😎

B

On 08/04/2020 at 18:29, Basilpea said:

Yes I'm now the proud possessor.  I had to go a long way north of Watford to get it (luckily before the lockdown), but the trip was well worthwhile.  Loving every minute of incarceration now.

NBD thread with pictures required.

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

NBD thread with pictures required.

Sorry, I forgot that.  Here are some quick tasters, I'll try to take some better pics tomorrow when the light is better.  I'll also give my comments on it so far, and I'll explain why this is a 4 string and I'm selling a 5 string (it's complicated).  Seems I should post it in the Bass Guitars forum anyway.

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi,

Yes it sold some weeks ago. Sorry but It won't allow me to edit the title as I have done before on previous topics, so all I could do was to add another post at the bottom which I did back in April.

BASS SOLD - PLEASE AMEND OR CANCEL

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bloopdad1
      Hi all
      For sale - Custom built Overwater Progress 3 Deluxe 5 string. AAA birds eye maple top over mahogany wood (personally chose the wood for this build). Unmarked satin finish. 
      5 string through neck 36" scale. New Overwater nickel light strings. Stunning build quality and has a gorgeous neck. No fret wear, rosewood fingerboard with mother of pearl dots.
      The neck has purple heart stringers around maple with rock stable tuners. Original OW soapbar pickups with vol, pickup pan, treble, mid and bass. 9vdc active circuit. As well as a standard output it has a built-in XLR balanced out to go direct to the desk etc. Built for me by Chris and Martin in 2001. Has Chris May's signature inside the electronics cover. 
      Some black paint is scuffed on the bottom edge of the bridge and the brass saddles are a bit tarnished (I'll polish them first) 
      Original Overwater hard case included. I'd rather not send via a courier - I can drive to deliver with in reason or meet half way. 
      I've had this bass since new (never thought I'd sell it), I'm very careful with all my instruments and it's been pampered all its life. 
      Thanks for looking 

• By mrbassman_de
      The BMT series have been built from 1993 to 1997 - basically it has the same spec like the all-time top-of-the-line Smith series - the later Fusion Elite. With a small difference: The BMT Series has the real neck-through concept. Newer neck are built like dove-tails. You can see the difference in the back. The real neck-through is of course more expensive as there is much more waste from sanding the neck wood piece. Additionally - the headstock is black instead of matching the top wood.
      The BMT are probably the most sought after basses today. There are about 150 built - and this is the one of the very rare fretless ones. This bass was originally fretless - has been fretted and later defretted again. Honestly I must say that I prefer the fretted sound on Smiths.
      Condition is absolutely like new ! The Quilted Maple looks much better in real life than in the pics.
      AAAAA Quilted Maple top
      7pc body, 7pc neck
      34“, 18mm spacing
      Weight 4,58 kg
      Original Smith Case
      Built 1994
      SOLD
      Even if you like to let a top luthier fret this bass for let's say 400 GBP - you will get a llike new top-of-the-line Smith with the typical "click".

• By Baloney Balderdash
      Here is the Ibanez GSRM25 5 string Mikro that I mentioned in the "Show off you short scales" thread, where I posted a picture of and talked about my main 4 string Ibanez Mikro Bass:

It got a poplar body and a maple neck with a jatoba fretboard, and I also did some visual mods on it, among other added a silver lotus flower decal with an OM sign in the middle and painted the pickup covers grey, the 2 stock J pickups I wired in series directly to the output jack socket, bypassing the pots, which means that the knobs and the switch are just there for the sake of being decorative. 
      To be honest, in my opinion, as the pickups were wired from stock they sounded like crap, no matter how I adjusted them, they sounded like a caricature of the famous Jazz Bass burp, a really over emphasized burp there was no way of getting rid of, on top of them just sounding somewhat underwhelming and anemic, except, as I found out by wiring the pickups in series, which not only got rid of the ludicrous bad sounding burping sound entirely, but actually also made them capable of a genuine great full sounding tone overall. 
      Otherwise this bass was perfect from factory, and I mean absolutely perfect, just to mention one example I would be able to get ridiculously low action if I wanted to without any fret buzz whatsoever, the frets are just dead on perfectly leveled.  
      On the particular picture above it was actually strung with the 5 lightest strings of a 6 string D'Addario set, gauge .100 to .032, but I later put on the Ernie Ball set meant for Bass VI type instruments, using the 5 lowest strings, gauge .090 to .030, and tuned it F# to D, as in F# standard tuning, 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, threading the strings through the cut off ball ends of some old bass strings I had, to be able to fit it on the bass's bridge, since those Ernie Ball strings have guitar sized ball ends.
      I intend to use it for some songs in the making for a sort of progressive psychedelic stoner rock/metal solo project I am working on called "all I nil", which is supposed to predominantly consist of just bass, programmed drums/percussion and vocals,  with a few extra instruments added more sparingly mostly for flavor, like for instance glockenspiel, programmed flutes, cello, violin, piano and synth.
      I am still working on my setup/rig for this thing, but one thing that is certain is that an octave up effect will be added to my bass signal, sometimes with separate effects used respectively for the octave up signal and the regular bass signal, sort of giving an effect similar to a 10 string octave bass with pairs of bass and octave strings, just with the advantage I get from doing it this way of being able to process the bass and octave up signal separately.
      For this I am using a TC Electronic Sub 'n' Up Mini, which seems to actually work really well for this, as good as flawless and super fast tracking, and in my opinion being capable of sounding more natural/realistic than for instance the EHX POG pedals, which tend to have a slight somewhat organ or synth like quality to the octave up signal.
      Pitching your signal up a whole octave is always going to sound somewhat artificial though, no matter how well it is processed, but it has actually still worked surprisingly well and sounded reasonable naturally in my preliminary test runs of this idea, and adds a lot of extra sonic space and flavor, exactly as will be needed for this project, where my bass is going to be the main, and most of the time only, instrument that carries the melodic content of the tracks (well beside the vocals of course).
      Other than that heavy thick distortion with fuzz like qualities mixed with a bit of clean signal, and secondarily chorus, flanger and phaser, will see a lot of use for this project. 
      Just in the process of figuring out which kind of setup will give me the best results for what I have in mind currently, and so far only got fair deal of the basic bass parts down so far (I believe I more or less got the bass parts and final form for 4 to 5 tracks at the moment), then when I got my setup perfected the actual recordings can start, then the programming of the drum/percussion parts and eventual additional flavor instruments comes, and eventually writing the lyrics and getting the vocals laid down. 
      All in all I think at least another 6 months, very likely even more, before I got an EP, or less likely a full length album, ready for release on Bandcamp and various online digital music streaming services and shops, perhaps even a self released physical version, but we'll see about that when it eventually that time comes.    

Here's a short sound sample of a preliminary distortion tone, using some riffs I have been working on for this project (notice that if you are not logged into Dropbox a box might pop up when you click the link, encouraging you to sign up, blocking for the audio player, in that case you just click somewhere outside that box and it will disappear, making the audio player accessible):
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/8m02vfjf7dv5ojx/all I nil - New Distortion Sample.mp3?dl=0

And here's a couple of older very rough takes of 2 songs in the making, respectively with the working titles "3rd Eye of Hypnos" and "In Orbit", playing both of them in a bit faster tempo than was is really intended ("3rd Eye of Hypnos" since this recording having had a much melodically expanded variation of the intro and outro riff added) :
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u06k5cct75coi9/all I nil - 3rd Eye of Hypnos.mp3?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f5wbstq5wh318w/all I nil - In Orbit (Take 2 F%23).mp3?dl=0 
    • By alzamatt
      Fbass AC6 in mint conditions 
      Shipping in EU included in the price 
      Description on 
      http://www.fbass.com/models/model/ac
      Finger ramp easily removable attached with light double scotch tape 
      4700 Pounds              NOW 4400 Pounds or 4600 Euro including shipping in EU countries
      Possible trades only with FODERA Basses 34" 

v widget

• By moley6knipe
      WITHDRAWN - Mods please close. 
      Ibanez SRF705 Portamento fretless 5 string. £500 (no trades)
      Feb 2014 Portamento 5 string in good condition: one very light scratch on rear and one ding on the top (shown in photos). Fantastic bass: light, lovely to play and a huge range of sounds. The Aerosilk Piezo pickup is brilliant: really 'woody' tones. AFAIK I'm second owner from new: I'm never going to use a fretless with my band because it's 100% wrong for what we play and I've run out of space, hence the sale. https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/srf705_1p_05.html
      Collection preferred, or will drive up to an hour from PE11 postcode to deliver / meet. Happy to discuss sending by courier too at buyer's expense.
      34" scale 7.7lb / 3.7kg Unlined '30 fret' neck (has side lines and dots) 16.5mm string spacing at bridge 45mm nut 305mm neck radius Neck-through Cosmo Black hardware Active 9 volt 2 x Bartolini MK1 pickups, each with own vol Bass/treble boost/cut Piezo bridge pickup with own vol Active tone Trim pots to adjust individual string volume There is some minor tarnishing on the hardware. Pots all function properly with no crackle. Tuners operate as you'd expect. Truss rod turns easily. Very low action: if you dig in, you'll likely want to increase the relief! I guess it's fitted with the D'Addario Chromes that it left the factory with... I've certainly never restrung it.