Why become a member? ×

No room for adjustment on my Warmoth neck

Delberthot

I normally play with quite a high action but fancied a change and decided to see how low I could get the strings without them buzzing on my Warmoth.

Answer was - not very far.

I only have a little relief on the neck and was looking to add more but the trouble is that the truss rod nut is as loose as it goes. If i turn it any more, it will come off.

Probably due to the combination of a wenge neck and steel bar reinforcement

I'm trying to weigh up my options on what the best course of action is.

I have 3 possible routes:

Crank the truss rod right up and have it planed flat so that when I loosten it, it will give me the desired amount of relief.

Go for a graphite neck which would probably drastically alter the sound of the bass.

Find a neck with properties similar to my wenge/ebony one but easier to adjust

Are these my only options or are there others?

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='412679' date='Feb 18 2009, 06:51 AM']I´m not sure if I understand what you´re after.

You want lower action but more relief in the neck? Sounds counterproductive to me. For a nice, low action, I´d suggest getting the neck as straight as possible and adjusting the action by lowering the string saddles. Just my 2 Euro-cents...[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking!!

D.

Sound like the neck needs a shim ?
General rule of thumb is to set the bridge saddles at mid point and the neck as straight as you can get it.
Check the action at this setting .
If it is say 2mm at the 12th then insert a small (cig packet thin) shim under the nut end of the neck.
This will raise the nut and hence the action. You can then make the final adjustment at the bridge.

What is the action at the 12th with the neck straight and bridge midway ?
Let me know and I'll tell you the best course of action
Also measure the distance between the strings and the first fret when you have done this.