Why become a member? ×

The Harrogate Collection

Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='409843' date='Feb 15 2009, 01:26 AM']These are the basses I will be taking to Harrogate later today and it will be interesting to get some feedback on them.

From left to right......

Jazz bass with a Basswood Body Maple /Maple neck , Geddy Lee Tuners and both a humbucker and a single coil with 2 x Vol
The Gazzumper in Mahogany with a Maple / Rosewood neck, Jin Ho tuners , Schaller 462, Twin Humbuckers with coil taps.
Precision in Mahogany with a Maple (antique) neck. Schaller 462, Fender anodised plate, Artec Giovanni Vintage pup & 3 band eq.

All built over the last few weeks.

[/quote]

I quite like the precision. Did you build it?

[quote name='YouMa' post='409846' date='Feb 15 2009, 01:37 AM']I quite like the precision. Did you build it?[/quote]

Thanks and yes I built it although the neck was "bought in"....the build thread is [topic="40534"]here[/topic] should you wish to have a look.

cheers...Paul

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='409848' date='Feb 15 2009, 02:43 AM']Thanks and yes I built it although the neck was "bought in"....the build thread is [topic="40534"]here[/topic] should you wish to have a look.

cheers...Paul[/quote]

I would go with trying to sell a few of these the styling is very nice,stick your name on the headstock mate,prosebass sounds like a winner to me,not keen on the other 2 but i think you might have got it with the precision it is very tasteful,have you got a workshop/shed etc. I would like to try something like this at some point.

[quote name='ARGH' post='410445' date='Feb 15 2009, 09:09 PM']I tried all 3,would you like my opinions?

I will be honest,cutting,but kind.[/quote]

Hi good to see you today......do your worst after all its only an opinion....
But take into account the prices, Jazz £195.00 P-bass and Gazzumper £295.00.... ;)

Edited by Prosebass

Knee bass

It caught my eye first,I like designs that defy normality (No offence to those of a traditional viewpoint,but all P's and J's are just that...P's and J's)

Weight was wonderful,didnt really understand the controls really (yes my fault,and small amp,room full of noise,but I like somethings a bit obvious....)..the action felt as if the neck had a serious forward bow,the neck was adequate,nothing special,I likes the finish upon the instrument,the nut felt high to and to be frank the sound I was presented with,didnt capture me,the P/u's felt weak,good for a slap tone,but no beef...given more time,and a better amp in front of me,that would have changed..it was solid.

Saying that IT WAS DIFFERENT,and I like that.....There was nothing that could not be improved upon...but the shape was the draw to the eye.

J style Bass

The neck was of good 60s feel,and the body finish,though I played it in poor light,seemed of a very good quality,I enjoyed the minimalist controls (yeah..I like Black) and though different in setup,I enjoyed the sounds herein the instrument...The neck seemed adequate in joining with the body,and given I am not a J fan in tone I was happy....quite happy.

BUT...
Could I find anywhere I felt comfort to place my thumb to pluck fingerstyle,It was a Ricky 4001 with that bloody metal bit in the middle...without the metal bit all over again...the small scratchplate was nice,but I didnt feel comfort....it was close but no ciger for me..but given the price ITS A STEAL....

The P.....I didnt want to play any Fenders that day,Ive a Fender (a real one) why tread the same path??

Did not like the controls,did not like the sound of the P/U....did not like the clunky way the body played with the slabish look....6 bolt neck connection?....I could not see in the dark. body,though wood (I LIKE WOOD) was a little plain jane in the grain.

BUT f*** me it felt nice to play,the neck was ultra fat..50's ish,and Im a sucker for gold on hardware,IT FOUGHT BACK and wanted a war,and the finish was adorable,and I liked the gold anodized classic scratchplate...its a P,a P copy,with an on/off switch for the active system (neat...very neat)...a better p/u (Dimarzio is what I like) and it would be a BIG hitter that I would have bought upon the spot...YES Im a P guy....I couldnt care where the parts came from,THAT NECK was worth the price of entry alone...

Ive played a few bedroom builds in my time,and bought a few,its a good way to get good equipment,that works,lasts,and is reliable,at a cheap price. The above are,pretty much,all of that. Well done Prose,you should be proud.

Edited by ARGH

Replying to Argh

[quote]Knee bass

It caught my eye first,I like designs that defy normality (No offence to those of a traditional viewpoint,but all P's and J's are just that...P's and J's)

Weight was wonderful,didnt really understand the controls really (yes my fault,and small amp,room full of noise,but I like somethings a bit obvious....)..the action felt as if the neck had a serious forward bow,the neck was adequate,nothing special,I likes the finish upon the instrument,the nut felt high to and to be frank the sound I was presented with,didnt capture me,the P/u's felt weak,good for a slap tone,but no beef...given more time,and a better amp in front of me,that would have changed..it was solid.

Saying that IT WAS DIFFERENT,and I like that.....There was nothing that could not be improved upon...but the shape was the draw to the eye.[/quote]

The controls were 2 x vol 1 x tone and a coil tap for each pup. Biggest problem was my Little Ashdown competing against the likes of Mark Bass !!!!
Nut is a little high (can be modded) and there is a slight relief in the neck but the action is only just over 2mm at the 12th
You probably had the coil tap switches in single coil and would have got a thin sound. Jim Furlong played some slap on it when the room was quiet and he liked it so that made me happy... ;)

[quote]J style Bass

The neck was of good 60s feel,and the body finish,though I played it in poor light,seemed of a very good quality,I enjoyed the minimalist controls (yeah..I like Black) and though different in setup,I enjoyed the sounds herein the instrument...The neck seemed adequate in joining with the body,and given I am not a J fan in tone I was happy....quite happy.

BUT...
Could I find anywhere I felt comfort to place my thumb to pluck fingerstyle,It was a Ricky 4001 with that bloody metal bit in the middle...without the metal bit all over again...the small scratchplate was nice,but I didnt feel comfort....it was close but no ciger for me..but given the price ITS A STEAL....[/quote]

It may look like a Jazz but has a meaty humbucker and a single coil on it so thats probably why you liked the tone.
Point taken with the plate and I may mod it so it is just in the pickup area.

[quote]The P.....I didnt want to play any Fenders that day,Ive a Fender (a real one) why tread the same path??

Did not like the controls,did not like the sound of the P/U....did not like the clunky way the body played with the slabish look....6 bolt neck connection?....I could not see in the dark. body,though wood (I LIKE WOOD) was a little plain jane in the grain.

BUT f*** me it felt nice to play,the neck was ultra fat..50's ish,and Im a sucker for gold on hardware,IT FOUGHT BACK and wanted a war,and the finish was adorable,and I liked the gold anodized classic scratchplate...its a P,a P copy,with an on/off switch for the active system (neat...very neat)...a better p/u (Dimarzio is what I like) and it would be a BIG hitter that I would have bought upon the spot...YES Im a P guy....I couldnt care where the parts came from,THAT NECK was worth the price of entry alone...[/quote]

In good light the body top is Gold and again with all the noise in there you didn't get a proper chance to notice to tone variations of the active set up.
Wish there had been more time and a better amp ( Will bring a V-Amp pro / power amp ) setup to the next bash

[quote]Ive played a few bedroom builds in my time,and bought a few,its a good way to get good equipment,that works,lasts,and is reliable,at a cheap price. The above are,pretty much,all of that. Well done Prose,you should be proud.[/quote]

Cheers Argh pity there wasn't more time for me to demonstrate the basses better.

[quote name='artisan' post='414132' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:34 PM']i really liked your black jazz,it played very nice indeed & as mentioned above the scratch plate is a tad ugly but hey for £200 it's a bloody bargain.[/quote]

beauty is in the eye and all that !....its actually sold now and awaiting the installation of a chrome humbucker in the neck position....

[quote name='Prosebass' post='414134' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:36 PM']beauty is in the eye and all that !....its actually sold now and awaiting the installation of a chrome humbucker in the neck position....[/quote]

nice one,tbh i'm supprised it didn't sell on the day :P

as for the fretless we talked about,i'm working on the missus ( ;) )i'll let you know if i get an order number :)