Why become a member? ×

De-glossing a sunburst neck

Whilst I am happy to rub down a maple neck to give a satin finish, I recently bought a Hofner Ignition Violin Bass which has a high gloss sunburst neck. I’ d like to take it down a bit, but I don’t want to loose the sunburst finish. I also suspect that the finish is pretty thin.

Anyone any suggestions? Should I risk it or just leave it to time?

Not being able to see it in person I couldn't say but if the sunburst finish is lacquered over then scotching (or wirewool, light sandpaper or whatever you want to use) will just take the gloss off the lacquer and not touch the sunburst underneath. If, like a lot of doublebasses, the coloured varnish just ends at the top and bottom of the neck then scotching will remove some of the coloured finish, leaving a sharper transition between paint and natural. 

My bet would be that it's completely lacquered in but I wouldn't want to say without seeing it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

As @Reggaebass says, rubbing gloss will leave a dull look. An option might be to (carefully) spray some silk or matte clear coat over the gloss?

You'll still need to lightly key the surface to spray another (matt or satin) finish. If you're keying the surface then just leave it it once keyed.