Why become a member? ×

How Can I Make An In-Line Mute Pedal?

Dubs

How can I make a mute switch for my pedalboard? This is basically as an alternative to a volume pedal, as all I do with the volume pedal is pretty much mute the signal. Effectively I want a stomp box with a single switch and LED (to indicate ON/OFF) and a jack input and output that when I click on the pedal it completely mutes the signal. I’d need it to be a silent click. Any ideas?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='407530' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:50 PM']if you look at the schematics I posted recently, the 3pdt switch has X-wiring that grounds the unused input. This A/B wiring gives 'no-pop' switching and an unused B will also be hum-free[/quote]

Thanks very much ;)

This is how I would do it.

[attachment=20204:mute_sw.gif]

The first version uses a DPDT but it leaves the output of the previous pedal in the chain floating (which is not a problem for the majority of pedals).

The second version uses a 3PDT switch. It puts a load on the last pedal of the chain so it is less likely to click/bump when the switch is pressed.

I hope it helps.

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='408303' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:57 AM']This is how I would do it.

[attachment=20204:mute_sw.gif]

The first version uses a DPDT but it leaves the output of the previous pedal in the chain floating (which is not a problem for the majority of pedals).

The second version uses a 3PDT switch. It puts a load on the last pedal of the chain so it is less likely to click/bump when the switch is pressed.

I hope it helps.[/quote]

That's great, thanks mate ;)

Edited by benwhiteuk