Why become a member? ×

How do people do it????

Golchen

I have to do a lot of singing (lead & bv's) while playing bass in my tr*b*te band and it took a while to master.

Best advice I can give is learn the bassline until it's second nature then concentrate on the vocals afterwards....

I'm the lead singer in our band and the bass player. i don't have a problem with it now but I have a few techniques that might help others. I started singing because I was told it was difficult and so just to have one up on the rest of the band I got it nailed! And I love it! I also use a Digitec Vocalist Live4 harmony pedal which I am jumping on and off all through songs - now that's a challenge and a half but it works well. I'd recommend one to any band.

Basically when I learn new songs I learn the vocals and bass line together. Never independently! I don't read music, so I listen to the song and unpick each part in 'chunks' with my bass: intro, chorus, verse etc. I then have a listen whilst reading the words so that you get a feel for the flow of the phrasing of the words relative to the starts/stops etc. of the bass line. I then have a go for the first time singing and playing.

The key is to get the rhythm of the vocals right with the correct bass line. I don't worry about the exact words for the first few run throughs. That comes later in the night. Usually 5 times through listening to the CD it is almost giggable. I also make cryptic notes (i.e. what bass parts to play - '4 bars of the first bit' 'that funny run down') where I need a prompt on the words. I need words for new songs until after about 6 gigs.

Also, I find if I hammer a song all night, I don't make progress. 20 minutes of one song, then do something else is enough and when you come back after playing something else I find that it has sunk in a little bit.

This week's brand new songs to gig at weekend that I've been nailing since Saturday are: Stuck in the middle, Gimme shelter, Rockin in the free world and Can't get enough of your love. We do a few Weller/Jam songs and they are very rewarding to sing and play.

Easy peasy! I'll put money on the guitarists screwing up before me!

Hope this helps!

Si.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='405738' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:00 PM']Can't do it.In fact i can't even talk or answer a question whilst playing bass.[/quote]
Don't feel bad about it. Talking whilst playing is MASSIVELY more difficult than singing and playing. Don't know why this should be the case, but it is. I can sing and play quite well, but talk? Nah.

[quote name='Rich' post='406213' date='Feb 11 2009, 01:12 PM']Don't feel bad about it. Talking whilst playing is MASSIVELY more difficult than singing and playing. Don't know why this should be the case, but it is. I can sing and play quite well, but talk? Nah.[/quote]

It's because talking is not rhythmically linked with actually playing the bass. I can talk a bit if i'm playing something really simple.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='405694' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:51 PM']I do a lot of backing vocals with my band and I find that finger style is easier for me than plectrum work. Might be because I also sing playing an EUB. Got to know the bass part inside out first then concentrate on the vox.[/quote]

That's cool, I definitely don't find it easier doing it the other way round! I think it takes a big talent to do it, it makes me have a lot of respect for the likes of MacCartney of Phil Lynott.

I do the main vocals in my band. I find it easy now but when I first started it was pretty challenging. Its just a case of getting throught the mindset of it being difficult, as soon as I stopped thinking about it everything was fine.

As long as you know your music well then youll be fine and the bass will feel like its playing itself ;)

Edited by Danbass7

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='406187' date='Feb 11 2009, 12:47 PM']I'm the lead singer in our band and the bass player. i don't have a problem with it now but I have a few techniques that might help others. I started singing because I was told it was difficult and so just to have one up on the rest of the band I got it nailed! And I love it! I also use a Digitec Vocalist Live4 harmony pedal which I am jumping on and off all through songs - now that's a challenge and a half but it works well. I'd recommend one to any band.

Basically when I learn new songs I learn the vocals and bass line together. Never independently! I don't read music, so I listen to the song and unpick each part in 'chunks' with my bass: intro, chorus, verse etc. I then have a listen whilst reading the words so that you get a feel for the flow of the phrasing of the words relative to the starts/stops etc. of the bass line. I then have a go for the first time singing and playing.

The key is to get the rhythm of the vocals right with the correct bass line. I don't worry about the exact words for the first few run throughs. That comes later in the night. Usually 5 times through listening to the CD it is almost giggable. I also make cryptic notes (i.e. what bass parts to play - '4 bars of the first bit' 'that funny run down') where I need a prompt on the words. I need words for new songs until after about 6 gigs.

Also, I find if I hammer a song all night, I don't make progress. 20 minutes of one song, then do something else is enough and when you come back after playing something else I find that it has sunk in a little bit.

This week's brand new songs to gig at weekend that I've been nailing since Saturday are: Stuck in the middle, Gimme shelter, Rockin in the free world and Can't get enough of your love. We do a few Weller/Jam songs and they are very rewarding to sing and play.

Easy peasy! I'll put money on the guitarists screwing up before me!

Hope this helps!

Si.[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense. I can sing and play quite complex stuff on a guitar but useless singing while on the bass. I'll try your suggestions.

Speaking of Sting, have you seen/heard the latest Certifiable DVD? It freaks me out how he's able to sing the way he does over the basslines. Pure liquid. It's an amazing DVD.