Why become a member? ×

Woodo basses

BottomEndian

Does anybody have Woodo? ;)

[url="http://www.woodoguitars.se/"]http://www.woodoguitars.se/[/url]

They [i]look[/i] beautiful for the price (the 4-strings would be less than £450 including delivery from Sweden, and the bubinga 7-string would be under £750!), but has anyone experienced one yet?

There seems to be a fair bit of scepticism over on Talkbass (mainly because they seem to be rebadged Korean no-name basses with better electronics), but there always seems to be [i]someone[/i] on Talkbass who blindly hates anything without "Fender" on the headstock.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='404081' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:17 AM']They do just look like the ebay ones with a different name on the headstock.[/quote]
Where are these ebay ones? I've had a look around there in the bass category, but nothing looks like the Woodos. What's the usual name on the headstock?

OK, I've answered my own question by looking on [i]German[/i] eBay. It seems the usual culprits are called HK.

[size=7]BUT[/size] (and that's a big but)...

What initially attracted me to the Woodo basses was the 35" scale, even on the 4-strings. The HK 4-strings (and some of the 5-strings) seem to be 34", as far as I can ascertain from the eBay descriptions.

So it looks like they're all made by the same factory, judging by the shape, woods and all that, but the Woodo range is made to Woodo's own scale-length spec. That explains why Woodo's range of woods is much more limited than the HK range.

Does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

[quote name='Faithless' post='405271' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:39 PM']Some models look[i] very[/i] Ibanez'zy :)

But, 7-string one weighs 5,5kg's. Is this normal? :P[/quote]
5 or 6 kg seems about standard for a 7-string (just having a look around Google results). You want extended range? You gotta pay for it somehow! ;)

As an update to my earlier post, I've found the HK website (and it took some finding...) at [url="http://www.guitar-bass-shop.de/"]http://www.guitar-bass-shop.de/[/url]. There, all the basses are listed as 35" scale, only adding to my enbafflement.

I've actually sent an email to Arttu at Woodo, just flat-out asking what the differences are between his basses and the HK basses. If anything comes of it, I'll post it here.

[quote name='josh3184' post='405298' date='Feb 10 2009, 01:01 PM']7 string is oddly tempting to me you know... however in the pics of the back the thru stringing ferrules aren't even in line which worries me about construction quality[/quote]
;)

I hadn't noticed that. Of course, I haven't really been looking at the 7-strings, and the 4s aren't thru-strung. But that is a little frightening. One of the 7s is way worse than the other. And the individual saddle/bridge pieces on the front aren't aligned either.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='404079' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:16 AM']Does anybody have Woodo? :P

[url="http://www.woodoguitars.se/"]http://www.woodoguitars.se/[/url]

They [i]look[/i] beautiful for the price (the 4-strings would be less than £450 including delivery from Sweden, and the bubinga 7-string would be under £750!), but has anyone experienced one yet?

There seems to be a fair bit of scepticism over on Talkbass (mainly because they seem to be rebadged Korean no-name basses with better electronics), but there always seems to be [i]someone[/i] on Talkbass who blindly hates anything without "Fender" on the headstock.[/quote]
These do look like generic Korean neck-throughs to me, and it says as much on the website. Nice enough, if you like characterless, but nothing to get excited about at those prices.

And the name's idiotic. ;)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Hah, yeah I'd heard of them. I thought the name was a bit daft until I realised 'w' is like our 'v' in Swedish, so it's actually pronounced 'voodoo'.

To me they look like very good value, but then again as suggested above they might be a bit characterless. I have read a couple of good reviews though.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='405877' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:23 PM']These do look like generic Korean neck-throughs to me, and it says as much on the website. Nice enough, if you like characterless, but nothing to get excited about at those prices.[/quote]
Yeah, this seems to be the consensus that's building up. I'm just showing my inexperience when it comes to identifying and choosing basses. I just tend to play the ones I've got, rather than wondering about ones I haven't got. Until now.

I need to get me some learnin'. ;)

As for the good reviews of the Woodos, I've seen the ones on Harmony Central. They're a bit too... gushing for my liking. There's virtually no criticism at all, and there's always going to be [i]something[/i] you don't like about a bass (at least at that price range). I love my basses, each in their own way, but I know their bad points:

[b]Hondo P-copy[/b] (with Grover tuners and EMG pup -- aka "The Honkin' Hondo"): Plenty of wallop, and black & maple's always a good combo, but I don't like the thickness of the P neck and it can "honk" a bit in the midrange.
[b]Music Man SUB[/b]: Lovely fast neck feel and punchy sound, but the combination of textured finish and diamondplate scratchplate is U.G.L.Y.
[b]Wesley Guitars 5-string[/b]: um... it's got five strings in its favour, but it plays like a dog. A dog with frets that stick out of the sides of the neck. Ouch. And it's 34" and passive, so the B's just floppy and underpowered.