Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray / Stingray V

JPJ

A question to all you Stingray owners out there.

Is the body on the Stingray V the same shape and size as the body on the Stingray IV? I know that the V has different contouring (the most obvious being the edge chamfer) but other than that, are the bodies the same shape and size?

Any help will be appreciated,

Ta

havent got a 4 to compare but i was surprised to feel the body so neat and comfy...the chamfering may be doing that

i would guess from a production point of view they would start life from the same jig so that common routing could be done
the neck pocket would be bigger and the scatchplate of course just modeled to give a better and more pleasing look to a great bass

want one?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39305&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39305&st=0[/url]

[quote name='mrcrow' post='403452' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:36 PM']havent got a 4 to compare but i was surprised to feel the body so neat and comfy...the chamfering may be doing that

i would guess from a production point of view they would start life from the same jig so that common routing could be done
the neck pocket would be bigger and the scatchplate of course just modeled to give a better and more pleasing look to a great bass

want one?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39305&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39305&st=0[/url][/quote]

Thanks mate, but I've just bought [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40178"]this one[/url] as the basis for a project I've had in mind for a while now. I converted to five strings a long time ago, and always fancied a five string stingray but have never liked the larger scratchplate or the big chamfers. Plan is to build a body like the four string in a see-through black stain, no scratchplate or control plate, hence the question about body sizes.

[quote name='JPJ' post='403485' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:12 PM']Thanks mate, but I've just bought [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40178"]this one[/url] as the basis for a project I've had in mind for a while now. I converted to five strings a long time ago, and always fancied a five string stingray but have never liked the larger scratchplate or the big chamfers. Plan is to build a body like the four string in a see-through black stain, no scratchplate or control plate, hence the question about body sizes.[/quote]

Well does it matter what size the 5 body is if you're just going to be building a 4 style body for it anyway?

[quote name='JPJ' post='403485' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:12 PM']Thanks mate, but I've just bought [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40178"]this one[/url] as the basis for a project I've had in mind for a while now. I converted to five strings a long time ago, and always fancied a five string stingray but have never liked the larger scratchplate or the big chamfers. Plan is to build a body like the four string in a see-through black stain, no scratchplate or control plate, hence the question about body sizes.[/quote]

i dont think a 4 body would or should be bigger...the neck on a 5 is only about 16mm wider ..a guess based on 19mm bridge spacing...
so i assumed in my earlier post that EB would just use a 4 body and chamfer it for a 5 with neck pocket etc

personally i prefer the 5 standard scratchplate but thats me

no scratchplate sounds pretty cool....are you going to use the chrome plate for controls

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='403498' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:26 PM']Well does it matter what size the 5 body is if you're just going to be building a 4 style body for it anyway?[/quote]

Good point especially as I can't find any plans of a Stingray on the net. I will have the OLP Levin body to start from, but wanted to know if there was some other big difference I hadn't already spotted.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='403520' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:46 PM']i dont think a 4 body would or should be bigger...the neck on a 5 is only about 16mm wider ..a guess based on 19mm bridge spacing...
so i assumed in my earlier post that EB would just use a 4 body and chamfer it for a 5 with neck pocket etc

personally i prefer the 5 standard scratchplate but thats me

no scratchplate sounds pretty cool....are you going to use the chrome plate for controls[/quote]

Not sure yet. Was thinking of going with the 20th Anniversary look i.e. no chrome plate, but then again I think the chrome plate looks lush so who knows.

I think the main difference is the chamfers - I had a 4 and 5 and the chamfers seemed to make a big difference in how they felt. Have you tried downloading some pictures from the MM website and tracing over them with thin paper? You can get some pretty accurate comparisons this way. If you don't like the Stingray 5 shape/chamfering then you could look for a SUB 5 which looks just like a standard MM4 but with the 4+1 headstock finished in black.

hi there i decided to line up the 2 bodies to see if they were the same size and shape, i assume the pictures are the same scale as i scaled the picture so that the fret sizes were the same (the reason they appear different is because the SR5 has 22 frets and the SR4 has 21). As you can see, there are several points where the pictures don't match, i inverted the colours of the SR4 to make the differences a bit more obvious.

[attachment=19950:srbasses.jpg]

And yeah i was going to suggest a SUB as well. That's actually the reason i was PUT OFF buying a sub 5.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='403581' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:00 PM']hi there i decided to line up the 2 bodies to see if they were the same size and shape, i assume the pictures are the same scale as i scaled the picture so that the fret sizes were the same (the reason they appear different is because the SR5 has 22 frets and the SR4 has 21). As you can see, there are several points where the pictures don't match, i inverted the colours of the SR4 to make the differences a bit more obvious.

[attachment=19950:srbasses.jpg][/quote]

Cheers mate, thats excellent. I guess it shows that the two bodies are pretty similar in overall shape with the four being slightly longer in the upper horn that the five.

[quote name='JPJ' post='403567' date='Feb 8 2009, 05:42 PM']Not sure yet. Was thinking of going with the 20th Anniversary look i.e. no chrome plate, but then again I think the chrome plate looks lush so who knows.[/quote]

i would say no chrome plate
imho that is what really spoils the MM 4 class look along with the splt
its so 'blacksmithy' looking
the fender jazz idea blends better

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='403563' date='Feb 8 2009, 05:31 PM']I know what you mean about the aesthetics of the five. A mate of mine's got one, nice bass and all, sounds great, but with the chamfers and the pickguard it looks a bit '80s.[/quote]
Works better in some colours than others...