Why become a member? ×

older Ev loaded mesa bass cab

ogri

Cetera's the one to answer this, but as far as I know yes, all the Diesel cabs were EV loaded (both of mine are) - had the older black metal mesh grilles and old-style MESA/Boogie cream or silver logo - when the Powerhouse (?) range superceded it I think they changed to Celestions (with silver slotted grille and silver MESA engineering logo). Could be wrong though!
The Diesels are fantastic sounding cabs, virtually indestructable (especially the built-in-flightcase Road Ready ones) and can be had cheap if you're lucky but [b]very [/b]heavy! ;)

Edited by Shaggy

I used to have a Diesel 1516BE (15, 10, 2x8 and horn). Amazing cab. I think the earlier ones had Eden speakers or something? No idea why they changed the design, I much preferred the look of the Diesels and can't imagine the extra weight of the powerhouses and new specs did much to improve the sound. Could be wrong though...

Cheers
ped

My 1516 was easy actually, superb wheels on the cab and the right kind of height so I could crash it into the back of my Volvo and tip it over into the boot. Didn't do much for the paintwork but then the car was a complete heap anyway, I loved it. Wouldn't fancy carrying it up stairs or anything though (the cab, but not the Volvo either)

[quote name='ogri' post='400921' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:40 PM']anybody know, am i right in thinking my Ev loaded 4x10 is what they called a "diesel" cab? and does anybody know when mesa engineering stopped using Ev speakers?[/quote]

Yeah I think Diesel is EV loaded, while 'Road ready' is the same thing but built into its own flightcase. Heavy as!!

A well known amp tech told me that Boogie fell out with EV a bit because they raised the price of their speakers, making it unfeasable for them to use them anymore.

+1 for the ex-Ped 1516 ! ;)

[quote name='ped' post='400969' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:12 PM']Shaggy I see you have a 1516BE too! Good stuff :0)[/quote]
Cetera's old one - best full-range cab ever IMO, happy doing modern hi-fi or old school thump, and can bi-amp it too.
Even fits cross-wise in the boot of my Modeo estate without putting the seats down, but pretty sure a solid month of gigging with it thru December gave me elbow tendonitis! ;)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' post='401081' date='Feb 5 2009, 02:48 PM']Cetera's old one - best full-range cab ever IMO, happy doing modern hi-fi or old school thump, and can bi-amp it too.
Even fits cross-wise in the boot of my Modeo estate without putting the seats down, but pretty sure a solid month of gigging with it thru December gave me elbow tendonitis! ;)[/quote]
thanks guys lol..yup black grille.. cream mesa boogie badge...sounds fantastic.. heavy as a house...thats my baby..:-)
mines flightcased as well(h duty packhorse with big castors), and as im the one with the van i get to lift it in and out on my own every weekend along with the SVT..one day i'll bust me farting clappers i just know it..

[quote name='Shaggy' post='401081' date='Feb 5 2009, 02:48 PM']Cetera's old one - best full-range cab ever IMO, happy doing modern hi-fi or old school thump, and can bi-amp it too.
Even fits cross-wise in the boot of my Modeo estate without putting the seats down, but pretty sure a solid month of gigging with it thru December gave me elbow tendonitis! ;)[/quote]

Ah! Glad you're still enjoying it! I wouldn't have got rid of it if I didn't already have my Mesa 2x15 Diesel!! It just wasn't getting used....

Yep, the older Disel cabs were the black tolex ones with the old style logo & black grill. Roadready Diesel were the same, just encased in a metal flightcase :P