Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Cables + Dunlop Strap Locks

Musicman20

I have been using Planet Waves cables for about 3 years now, on the same set of 2 and they're like new. Also come with a loop of elastic attached you can hook round your strap button to prevent tugging on the lead which is genius!
Excellent value for money

Don't use the Dunlop straplocks anymore (i used the metal ones) as they don't stand up to gigging as well as the Schaller ones. They don't exactly fail but the ones on my Warwick are very hard to remove

When you say plastic ones i assume you mean the ones you fit over your existing strap buttons? Do their job i suppose but you're best investing in a proper set of sturdy metal ones

Planet Waves = Very Good :P
Plastic Straplocks = Bad ;) – BUT…Metal Dunlop Straplocks = Very Good :)

I use ones similar to this :

Don’t buy plastic straplocks cos you might cry when they snap and the resulting fall of your bass snaps the neck :huh:

Edited by benwhiteuk

The Dunlop Dual-Design Straplok allows the use of a normal strap if the need arises and work very well with Grolsch rubbers. Try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=40a1bceb7f1d6b618a859ecd65c9c3d4&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=%2Bstraplock"]here[/url]...

I use Planet Waves cables and like them a lot-I have an angled one and it's been fine so far. No doubt somebody will point you in the direction of OBBM and his cables, which I understand are excellent, but sometimes you just need to go into a shop and buy a cable, and for that I've found them fine. Straplock-wise I like Schallers, although they are not a 'fit and forget' item-you need to keep an eye on them to ensure the nuts aren't coming undone (I always carry the appropriate spanner these days) and that the strap buttons aren't coming out of the body-their screws are a bit thinner than Fender ones, and I've had to reglue mine in more than once-the alternative is drilling out the Schaller buttons a bit which I may try next time. All that having been said, I wouldn't gig without them.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='399427' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:31 PM']Straplock-wise I like Schallers, although they are not a 'fit and forget' item[/quote]

What he said. However, I also use the plastic dunlops at home on a couple of guitars and they're fine for 'light use'.

Tip: You always have more guitars than straps. So, buying the full packet of schaller locks you can wind up with an excess of strap-end locks when all you need are the little buttons to screw to the guitar.

Stewmac.com sell them separately, possibly saving a few bob. Whether they have a min order value, I don't know.

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/2/Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_part...rity_Locks.html[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='399427' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:31 PM']Straplock-wise I like Schallers, although they are not a 'fit and forget' item-you need to keep an eye on them to ensure the nuts aren't coming undone (I always carry the appropriate spanner these days) and that the strap buttons aren't coming out of the body-their screws are a bit thinner than Fender ones, and I've had to reglue mine in more than once-the alternative is drilling out the Schaller buttons a bit which I may try next time.[/quote]

that's what I did with mine where the Schaller screw was thinner than the original screw... on some, the Schaller screw was beefier anyway, so using them was an improvement.

I had a bad experience with a planet waves cable - it has a small sort of expansion ring around the base of the jack designed to maintain better contact at all times. However mine managed to split and jammed the plug into the socket - I had to practically destroy the plug to get it apart and then fish out the bits of metal from the socket. Luckily this happened at the amp end, not the "my 1974 precision" end.

Won't use them again myself.

I brought one and it lasted 3 months before it broke, but I guess it happens, anyway it has a lifetime gaurentee so I sent it back and they sent me a replacement by return with free complimentary t shirt size med ( I look a bit of a twat in it as im 22st but hey) so all was good! I also have some of obbem's with no problems so far! (but if there was a problem would he send a xxxl t shirt that is the ?)
Eddy