Why become a member? ×

Running Order

JPJ

Ok folks,

I'm not a huge effects user, but an upcoming gig has spurred me on to sort out a pedal board, PSU and to fix down the pedals I've got.

In future, I will be using;

1) Akai Unibass (distortion octaver thing)
2) Aphex Punch Factory (compressor)
3) Aphex Bass Exciter (bass exciter type thing)
4) Boss TU2 (tuner)

The TU2 and Unibass are relatively new purchases and haven't been gigged before. Using the two Aphex units I tended to go;

Bass -> Puch Factory -> Exciter -> Amp

I'm thinking that the new layout should be;

TU2 -> Akai -> Punch Factory -> Exciter -> Amp

What do you more seasoned effects users recon, does that sound about right? BTW the Akai effect output will be going through the PA so only the clean bass signal will be going through the punch factory and the exciter.

Any comments will be appreciated.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='399070' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:52 PM']I don't know a lot about this type of thing, but thinking about it logically I'd go - Bass > TU2 > UniBass > Exciter > Punch Factory > Amp[/quote]

Thanks Ben,

I used to run that way, but found that running the exciter after the punch factory added back a little tonal 'width' if you know what I mean,

Personally i would go unibass>exciter>punch factory>tuner.

I would put the unibass first for the best tracking and put the tuner at the end so you can mute the whole signal.

There is no real set rule though the best way is to try them out every way and see which way suits you best.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='401210' date='Feb 5 2009, 04:29 PM']It’s always a good idea to have the tuner at the start of the chain so the signal isn’t affected by any other pedals - more accurate tuning.[/quote]

You could say the same about any pitch-tracking effects.

I reckon most tuners won't be significantly affected by other pedals, unless they're modulation pedals that're turned on.

I'd say sell the lot & buy a multi fx pedal :ph34r:

Only kidding. I would probably put the tuner before the akai if you're going into PA as well, this way if you want to mute then it's gonna mute the PA signal as well.
As for where you put all the pedals, I'd mess about until you find the desired effect or one that you really like the sound of. This can take bloody ages tho hence your post I suppose.

Edited by xgsjx