Why become a member? ×

Dating Squier bass

Grahambythesea

I picked up a Squier Precision a while ago, but I am confused about the dating. According to the Fender website on serial numbers, Squier started building at the Cort factory in 2008 and the serial numbers use the first 2 digits for the year of manufacture. Mine has 00 as the first 2.

Anyone help on this?

63BAFE6D-6E4A-4BA0-B4E2-3E0011CE46C8.jpeg

6 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The first two numbers is the year, so 00 = 2000. Squier have been using the Cort factory since late 80s / early 90s.

That would be Cort in Korea in the 80s/90s. This is Indonesian, (hence the IC prefix, I presume) and I'm wondering if the prefix is 09 - looks like there's a bit of damage to the bottom of the second digit.

37 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

That would be Cort in Korea in the 80s/90s. This is Indonesian, (hence the IC prefix, I presume) and I'm wondering if the prefix is 09 - looks like there's a bit of damage to the bottom of the second digit.

The OP was talking about the "Cort" factory. I suspect they mean the production of the VM range in 2008, which this bass is not.

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The OP was talking about the "Cort" factory. I suspect they mean the production of the VM range in 2008, which this bass is not.

Cort manufacture in Indonesia, which I think is what the IC prefix implies. Not sure they have their original Cor-Tek Korean facitlity any more following the massive controversy about working conditions there.

80s/90s Korean Corts have a C-prefix.

46 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Cort manufacture in Indonesia, which I think is what the IC prefix implies. Not sure they have their original Cor-Tek Korean facitlity any more following the massive controversy about working conditions there.

80s/90s Korean Corts have a C-prefix.

I know what the IC prefix relates to, it's clear the OP does not.