Why become a member? ×

Where can I get routing done in Pompey/Hants?

Dubs

I need to get my Jazz build routed:

[attachment=19500:DSC01803.JPG]

I was hoping a friend of mine would be able to help me out with the routing but it seems to be taking too long to organise and I just want to get on with this project. I need the neck pocket, pickups and rear control cavity to be routed. I don’t have a lot of cash so I’m trying to get it done as cheap as possible, but I’m more than happy to pay the going rate for a good job. Does anyone know where I can get some routing done in Portsmouth or Hampshire?

[quote name='johnnylager' post='396497' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:31 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26654"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26654[/url] ?[/quote]

ah yes ;) cheers mate

watching motd? :ph34r:

[quote name='Buzz' post='396578' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:42 AM']Ben, PJ's do repair work do they not? I'll be suprised if they don't have a router there.[/quote]

That's a good shout man, and only about 5 mins walking down the road from me.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='396880' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:56 PM']Laugh at them.[/quote]

It's a pretty unrealistic quote, and the guy was being vague with a timescale, not to mention that I'd have a 2 hour round trip to drop the stuff off and then another 2 hour round trip to pick it up again. For that sort of money I'd want a lot more than just a bit of routing being done. I'll see if PJ's can help me out tomorrow.

Bump - I'm still looking for someone to do this work. I'm likely to be travelling to London a few times in the near future so can anyone recommend someone around Harrow or central London? – I’m gonna email Bill Puplett (from the “Recommended Luthiers” list) but can anyone recommend anyone else?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='399200' date='Feb 3 2009, 05:50 PM']Bump - I'm still looking for someone to do this work. I'm likely to be travelling to London a few times in the near future so can anyone recommend someone around Harrow or central London? – I’m gonna email Bill Puplett (from the “Recommended Luthiers” list) but can anyone recommend anyone else?[/quote]

Joe White, his details are on the list earlier on in the thread ;)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='399465' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:56 PM']Have you used him before?[/quote]

Yes, regularly.

Built me a 62 Strat
Resprayed the Original 59 you see at the side here.
Regular setups on my Bass and Guitars

(I have a rather large collection of Basses and Guitars and try to use as many as I can.) ;)

He also does repair work for Guitar Village Farnham and Kingfisher in Fleet. The two local music shops.

[quote name='henry norton' post='400122' date='Feb 4 2009, 04:15 PM']£170?????

You [i]could[/i] buy yourself a fairly good router and do the cuts yourself, leaving yourself a hundred odd quid. You probably have a hundred reasons why you can't do it but 'lack of ability' shouldn't be one of them. Just a thought....[/quote]

You know what, I was seriously considering this. It would work out to be quite economical to buy a 2nd hand router, spend a few weeks learning how to route on scrap wood, then actually doing the routing I need to get done, then selling the router at the end of it. It’s a last resort if I can’t get a reasonable quote.

[quote name='Protium' post='400186' date='Feb 4 2009, 05:16 PM']Make a template, clamp it down, go to town on it ;)[/quote]

I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to do it, but then I wouldnt want to f*** it up (which I might and will definitely regret a lot).