Why become a member? ×

Where can I get routing done in Pompey/Hants?

Dubs

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='400385' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:24 PM']Exactly. If I just wanted a fairly good budget Jazz bass then I probably would.[/quote]

But you want something different to off the shelf so why not try it. You might find it good fun (you might find you're quite good at it and want to make more). Get yourself a router and go for it - maybe in a few months people will be offering you money to cut their neck pocket ;)

[quote name='henry norton' post='400430' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:10 PM']But you want something different to off the shelf so why not try it. You might find it good fun (you might find you're quite good at it and want to make more). Get yourself a router and go for it - maybe in a few months people will be offering you money to cut their neck pocket ;)[/quote]

Sounds like a plan. I've heard the going rate to charge is £170 :P :ph34r:

I'm contemplating having a musicman pickup installed in my bass. I emailed Jimmy Moon in Glasgow.

The quote was just to route for the pickup and the channel from the pickup to the control cavity as I would be doing all the wiring myself.

As he didn;t have a template for this he quoted me £150 so the £170 quoted earlier wasn;'t that far off the mark. I know I will be getting an excellent job done plus the bass is already painted so extra care is needed not to chip the paint round about the route. Jimmy makes guitars for a few famous names and sells them all over the world so his work is well known for being excellent.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='407110' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:03 PM']I'm contemplating having a musicman pickup installed in my bass. I emailed Jimmy Moon in Glasgow.

The quote was just to route for the pickup and the channel from the pickup to the control cavity as I would be doing all the wiring myself.

As he didn;t have a template for this he quoted me £150 so the £170 quoted earlier wasn;'t that far off the mark. I know I will be getting an excellent job done plus the bass is already painted so extra care is needed not to chip the paint round about the route. Jimmy makes guitars for a few famous names and sells them all over the world so his work is well known for being excellent.[/quote]

Fair doos. I guess it would take a certain amount of time to measure up and work out exactly where the cuts are going to be made if you don’t have templates. I’m speaking to a close family friend (who is a very skilled chippy) about getting mine done. He’s got a workshop kitted out with tools that a lot of educational institutions would be jealous of. He doesn’t want paying for it but then he’s never worked on an instrument before, but neither have I and he’s going to make a much better job of it than I would have ;) He’ll deffo be getting a very nice bottle of something…

Not sure when it’s going to get done though, but I’ll update my build diary when it’s done.