Why become a member? ×

Good head for metal?

budget bassist

How about the Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass head?
I play punk, rock & metal and use this amp regularly - it's a good & cheap amp.
There's a 'shape' function that is just great for sitting the bass in amongst the metal guitarists!
See a link for a price [url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/29020/"]HERE[/url]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='395749' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:18 PM']How about the Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass head?
I play punk, rock & metal and use this amp regularly - it's a good & cheap amp.
There's a 'shape' function that is just great for sitting the bass in amongst the metal guitarists!
See a link for a price [url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/29020/"]HERE[/url][/quote]
Nonononononononono!
I'm glad you like it matey, but i've had behringer gear before, and that's a route i'm not going down again! Rather have my ashdown ;)
Appreciate the advice though

So without having tried anything out, i was looking at some other stuff online, and i noticed [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/78801"]this[/url] line six amp, it looks good and the idea is there, but does anybody know how it sounds?

Also, [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/profet-51/68770"]this[/url] warwick profet 5.1, seems cheap, i'm sure they were more than that before, how do they sound?

Cheers guys

[quote name='metaltime' post='392340' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:57 AM']I had a mark bass head an sm450 i think it was called. It was a good head but i found it a little to polite for metal. I switched to my current head an ampeg svp and power amp and i was much happier.

In fact PMd[/quote]

I'm going to be extremely rude and sponge off this thread as its active.

I've got the s 450 too, going into a mesa 2 x "15 (cab 'o' doom!). Its a pretty sweet set up but I'd like more dirtier mids but worried the Sansamp would weaken the signal path. When my tones clean I like to keep it clean but pretty dirty at the same time (that make sense to anyone?) I don't do metal anymore but like to keep bass sounding (well again) DIRTY.

Sansamp a good bet?

[quote name='faz_man' post='396522' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:10 PM']I'm going to be extremely rude and sponge off this thread as its active.

I've got the s 450 too, going into a mesa 2 x "15 (cab 'o' doom!). Its a pretty sweet set up but I'd like more dirtier mids but worried the Sansamp would weaken the signal path. When my tones clean I like to keep it clean but pretty dirty at the same time (that make sense to anyone?) I don't do metal anymore but like to keep bass sounding (well again) DIRTY.

Sansamp a good bet?[/quote]

You need some 10s and a valve amp man - I keep tellin ya! ;)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='392011' date='Jan 26 2009, 06:58 PM']I'm thinking about selling my tobias and my current amp head (running an ashdown EB180) which should give me £400, enough for a decent used head i think. I've seen markbass LMII heads going for that much and they seem really good, i've tried the jeff berlin combo a couple of time and it sounded really good, but how would it sound in the mix for metal? I'm after something really punchy that will cut through and really bring out the growl in my warwick and musicmans. Any other suggestions? I was also thinking something along the likes of a GK 700RB-II, an ampeg SVT-3 pro or an ampeg B-2R, B-2RE or a B-1RE.

Also, would any/all of the above sound significantly better through my ashdown MAG 115 and 210T cabs until i can scrape together enough money to upgrade them too?[/quote]
why dont you try a abm evo11 head.pick one up on flea bay and have change left over towards some cabs.very close soundwise to an ampeg imo.

[quote name='jmesa' post='396584' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:13 AM']You need some 10s and a valve amp man - I keep tellin ya! ;)[/quote]

Untill I get someone to carry my rig around for me I'm not getting a 400+ lol.

With a 2 x "15 and 2 Thumbs a 400+ would be, less the straw, more the concrete block that breaks the camels back!

[quote name='bassmansky' post='396641' date='Feb 1 2009, 10:15 AM']why dont you try a abm evo11 head.pick one up on flea bay and have change left over towards some cabs.very close soundwise to an ampeg imo.[/quote]
I'm not too fond of them, if only for the strangely laid out EQ, and i'm not sure i want to go ashdown again. I would like something rack mountable too.

Edited by budget bassist

Why not the new Hartke LH1000

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hartke-Hydrive-LH1000-Bass-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Amp_W0QQitemZ180318817434QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item180318817434&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hartke-Hydrive-LH100...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

£ 349 new thats got to be a go deal?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='397034' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:32 PM']it doesn't seem amazingly versatile, and compared to some other stuff in the price range (aside from the masses of power), it doesn't really impress me, whereas i could get a GK 700RBII for £400 from soundslive and that would be able to do so much more. Convince me ;)[/quote]
Less is more.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='397125' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:27 PM']well, a compressor would be nice, and more than just a 3 band EQ, a 7 band graphic would be nice. That hartke just doesn't appeal to me that much...[/quote]

Fair enough. But someone else may neither want nor need a compressor nor another 4 bands of EQ to get their sound, in which case the ultra simple preamp on the Hartke would save them money which can instead be spent on more power. For instance I've yet to come across an amp with an onboard compressor I like and after years of having a four band EQ with the two middle bands semi-parametric and almost never using it I've found I'm generally happy with little or no EQ.

Alex

[quote name='budget bassist' post='397157' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:50 PM']Valve preamp doesn't really mean much to me either, considering you can get some brilliant sounding solid state amps these days.[/quote]

Again, all comes down to personal taste. I've never come across a solidstate preamp that can sound like the Fender Dual Showman type valve preamp with passive EQ as found in the LH500/1000, the Alembic preamps, the Kern (with a few tweaks), The BBE B-Max T, etc etc. I use a solidstate preamp that sounds nothing like them but I still believe it's a great sound for tons of players.

Look at it another way - the GK 700RBII doesn't do more, it does the same - it makes your bass loud enough to drive speakers loud. So do all amps. It's just a question of which amp has the right tones for your tastes plus the right balance of cost, size, weight and price. I think the GK heads are great for metal because they have so much grrrr but if you have a bass with loads of natural grrr or an overdrive pedal that you like to run through most of the time then the LH1000 gives you crazy power for the money.

Alex