Why become a member? ×

choosing a teacher

L-mac

I am about to start a couple of months "gardening leave" between jobs, and hoping to arrange lessons to improve my sloppy techinique while I have the time to practice.

Any thoughts on how I go about choosing a teacher, things to watch out for etc? I dont want to waste a load of the time I have trying to find the "right" teacher.

Not looking for recommendations of specific teachers so much as guidance on how to choose.

cheers in advance

Liam

[quote name='Delberthot' post='391965' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:45 PM']I would look for someone that's going to teach you what you want to learn.

I know it sounds obvious but there are teachers that teach a specific course and won;t veer off into doing other stuff that the student wants to do[/quote]

+1

my teachers excellent because he's very specific for me.

for instance, the other day he asked me what i wanted to learn as my next sort of project (im an advanced player, so he does my lessons more as long term projects than as single lessons). when i said i'd like to learn to read notation really well he told me he'd be happy to teach me it, but he didnt see the point because of several reasons (such as i only play guitar and bass so tabs much simpler and im a confident sight reader of tab, it wouldnt be a very good project because to get up to a good sight reading level it would take a very long time, he's done a fair bit of session work both as a bass player and guitarist and he also writes melodies and stuff for some bands and has never been asked to follow notation, he either gets tabs or chord progressions, etc. and as long as i can work slowly through notation i'd be ok) and the he told me what he would think would help improve my feel and understanding of different things the bass can do other than just playing the bassline (record an entirely bass song, i recorded a groove higher up the fretboard with a couple of chords in last lesson, next lesson im doing a simple bassline at the lower end of the fretboard to give it "oof") and let me choose.

i've had 4 bass teachers now, as well as 4 guitar teachers, and my current bass teacher is the best i've had yet because the bass lessons are all about what i want/need to learn to improve my playing.

i don't know how good you are, but try to get one whos a lot better than you, too. i know thinking "this guys quite good, and you can learn from anyone" might seem ok at the time if you're struggling to find a teacher, but my last teacher was only a little bit better than me and we ended up sitting and talking about basses rather than actually learning to play anything.

From previous lesson experience (not bass), I find it critical to have a teacher you really like as a person. Someone you enjoy going to visit as well as learn stuff from - otherwise the hard parts about taking lessons become a real pain and it saps all your motivation.

If they have a web site or some info available, read it and try and just see if there are clues there that make you feel a bit warmer to them than the others. Obviously you won't know for certain til you get there but it might help narrow down your list of potentials.

Edit: I think the older you get, the more important this becomes.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='392186' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:50 PM']From previous lesson experience (not bass), I find it critical to have a teacher you really like as a person. Someone you enjoy going to visit as well as learn stuff from - otherwise the hard parts about taking lessons become a real pain and it saps all your motivation.

If they have a web site or some info available, read it and try and just see if there are clues there that make you feel a bit warmer to them than the others. Obviously you won't know for certain til you get there but it might help narrow down your list of potentials.

Edit: I think the older you get, the more important this becomes.[/quote]

Agreed! From a teacher's perspective, the most important aspect is empathy with your students - I might be a fat old bald geezer but can still identify with 14 year old boys who think they are the next Flea! They are of course put firmly in their place and then taught the basics in a very severe manner!!! Hehe.

Seriously, there are very good teachers around and those who deliver are those who can give what the student needs and at the same time, instill confidence and enthusiasm for the chosen instrument; and provide a solid foundation in theory and musicianship (that is my own teaching philosophy).

[quote name='L-mac' post='391064' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:11 PM']I am about to start a couple of months "gardening leave" between jobs, and hoping to arrange lessons to improve my sloppy techinique while I have the time to practice.

Any thoughts on how I go about choosing a teacher, things to watch out for etc? I dont want to waste a load of the time I have trying to find the "right" teacher.

Not looking for recommendations of specific teachers so much as guidance on how to choose.

cheers in advance

Liam[/quote]

Step One: *You* have to have a very clear idea of what you want/expect to learn. It then makes it easy to get on the phone and say "I'm interested in this stuff".

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='392405' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:04 AM']Jeff Berlin had a few interesting things things to say about teachers at the weekend...runs for cover!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509651"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509651[/url][/quote]
If it wasn't for all the controversy surrounding this guy on the Internet, I wouldn't even know who he was.

He has some [i]interesting[/i] ideas, I guess. ;) Not for me though.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='392460' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:58 AM']Haven't you heard of the MarkBass "Jeff Berlin" combo....?! ^_^[/quote]
:P

The tweeter-less MarkBass amp with a 15" speaker and 300w output @ 8 ohms?

[size=1]( Nope... but thanks to Wikipedia I can pretend I had ;) )[/size]

Speaking as a teacher...

I've taught a fair amount of people of different ages and different backgrounds over the years, and the lesson was different with each pupil. A good teacher should be able to understand who the student is and what they want, then quickly work out ways in which to make that student better and help them to feel the joy of learning, while at the same time teaching to a high standard and providing a balanced lesson.
I'd always ask what experience a teacher has and what methods they use to teach (backing tracks, ear training MP3s etc.) A good teacher should be a good bass player with sound knowledge of theory and harmony as well as solid and dependable technique. Communication is the most important thing however - a teacher must genuinely enjoy teaching and be passionate about helping students to learn. I would also not consider a teacher that does not read standard notation.

As a student, if you find the right teacher then practice regularly and do the work given or you're wasting their time and your money. That might sound harsh but some students simply don't practice and come back the next week expecting the teacher to "make" them better.

Finally, think carefully - do you really need a teacher? If you have sloppy technique then slow your playing right down and find out what is making you sloppy. It is either the picking hand not keeping up, fretting hand fingering or the coordination between the hands.

In any case if you do find a good teacher, best of luck!

Mat

I've been playing for years, and still take lessons. I will usually setup lessons with other local artists, or instructors who I feel I can learn something new from. I will stick with that person until I think I have learned all I can from them. It's nice learning different styles, and techniques from people who all draw from different influences. Usually by the end of the second session I can generally tell if I am wasting my money, or my time...... Sometimes by the end of first session. Just because someone works as an instructor doesn't mean they are qualified to instruct anyone. They may have talent at teaching new students, but in most cases not an advanced student wanting to continue their education. My advice is to look for someone who offers 1 hour lessons ,as to the 30 minute lessons. Secondly, see if that person will let you pay week to week, or bi-monthly to avoid paying for a full month in advance and then find out that the instructors methods aren't right for you. Then you'll find yourself just throwing your money away. Some of the best Instructors I have learned the most from were fellow bassist/or guitar players I just sat in on a jam session with......... Those lessons didn't cost me a penny!!!!