Why become a member? ×

Fender HMV vs Badass III

CPBass

Hi Folks,

Wanting to upgrade the bridge on my MIA Jazz. She has thro body stringing so the 2 options seem to be the new HMV by Fender or the Badass III. Anyone have any thoughts on the pro's and cons of either? The next upgrade will be a John East J Retro so Id like my choice to work well with that.

Its quite difficult to make a decision without hearing both so any input would be great

Cheers

Col

You may have to go for the HMV regardless mate, depending on your urgency. I'm re-vamping a Jazz at the moment and had the Badass III as my preferred bridge of choice (thru body stringing being my preference), but I've tried all over the place to get one and all stores had 3 month lead times. I've been told by a guy who, lets just say, is very close to Fender, that Leo Quan has gone bust hence no supplies. Nonetheless, I've gone for the HMV and in a way I'm pleased as close up it looks rather tasty and not as clinical as the badass, and I'm sure it'll do the job just fine.

Edited by Hoppo75

I use a Korean bridge in my builds that is similar to the Fender HM bridge at a fraction of the cost. Odub and Deaver have basses I built for them with this bridge so you can ask them for an opinion also.
The unit is approx £12.00 on ebay and they are available as standard or through body. What I did with one build was use this bridge and then upgraded it with Graphtech polymer saddles , total cost approx £45.00. Just an idea.

Thanks guys,

Ive just gone and ordered a HMV for the job. Fender aint cheap these days, then again they never were!!

Some lovely basses youve made there, love the black one with pink pup......was that fretless? Stunning.

Anyway thanks again guys.

Col

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='390219' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:03 AM']Its too late now but Hipshot have started making their bridges with Fender fit holes. Badass gone bust; whats that all about?[/quote]

My mate is doing a bit more digging to find out what's going on with Leo Quan mate. He's hearing that Fender have bought them out. Will keep you updated as I find out.

Plenty of BADASS IIIs in the USA at present, and usually still work out cheaper than buying from the UK

e.g.,

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350147406740&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=022[/url]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='390219' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:03 AM']Its too late now but Hipshot have started making their bridges with Fender fit holes. Badass gone bust; whats that all about?[/quote]
They don't do a model to fit the Fender Deluxe models, which the Badass III was basically the only option for...

[quote name='Beedster' post='390236' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:22 AM']Plenty of BADASS IIIs in the USA at present, and usually still work out cheaper than buying from the UK

e.g.,

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350147406740&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=022[/url][/quote]

Indeed, I had seen them but I always seem to get slammed by Customs on recent USA purchases and Royal Mail add another £8 just to 'handle' it. Just aint worth it with the weak quid etc. Ive given up on buying statside until things improve.

As I said earlier ive ordered the HMV which looks very chunky and well made. How it sounds remains to be seen.

Cheers for the heads up

Col

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='390301' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:02 PM']Indeed, I had seen them but I always seem to get slammed by Customs on recent USA purchases and Royal Mail add another £8 just to 'handle' it. Just aint worth it with the weak quid etc. Ive given up on buying statside until things improve.

As I said earlier ive ordered the HMV which looks very chunky and well made. How it sounds remains to be seen.

Cheers for the heads up

Col[/quote]

Other than for basses, I've never been charged by customs or Royal Mail for stuff I've bought from the USA, including several expensive bridges and a body.

[quote name='Beedster' post='390352' date='Jan 24 2009, 01:18 PM']Other than for basses, I've never been charged by customs or Royal Mail for stuff I've bought from the USA, including several expensive bridges and a body.[/quote]

Oh jeez, I wish, Ive been hit 4 times for pedals and once for a lead ffs. They say the checks are random but I seem to get caught up in their daft system. Must be the Welsh border customs lol