Why become a member? ×

Simple, cheap straplocks. No screws needed. £4

solo4652

See here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fast-FREE-USA-Shipping-Strap-Locks-GUITAR-Straplocks_W0QQitemZ160309707617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item160309707617&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fast-FREE-USA-Shippi...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Steve

they're a pain... and I've had one pop off while playing... luckily the strap stayed on so I didn't find myself playing "catch the Bass"...

They only work well with straps that have thin ends and a bass with conical profiled strap-pins...

always amazes me how cheap people can be when it comes to securing expensive basses...

for real cheap and reliable (but not quick to change basses with) use Grolsch Bottle washers...

anything else, use proper metal straplocks...

I switched to Schaller for all mine... you can source the end-pins separately which means you don't have to purchase a complete assembly for each bass...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='389418' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:10 AM']they're a pain... and I've had one pop off while playing... luckily the strap stayed on so I didn't find myself playing "catch the Bass"...

They only work well with straps that have thin ends and a bass with conical profiled strap-pins...

always amazes me how cheap people can be when it comes to securing expensive basses...

for real cheap and reliable (but not quick to change basses with) use Grolsch Bottle washers...

anything else, use proper metal straplocks...

I switched to Schaller for all mine... you can source the end-pins separately which means you don't have to purchase a complete assembly for each bass...[/quote]
I see things differently -

1) Since the strap is on the strap pin, a failure of this lock means that the bass stays on the strap. Any failure of a Dunlop or Schaller straplock will probably put your bass on the floor.

2) I use a padded strap, which I store flat so the padding does not crease. If you use metal straplocks, you need to find a place to store your strap where the metal cannot scratch your bass. With these, you can take the strap off, and lay it along the fretboard without risk of scratching.

3) If they pop off when you are playing, they are probably overstressed. You can open up the central hole slightly with a file, which will get rid of most problems. It still won't work with a strap that is too thick though.

4) I have had two basses with straplocks, and had near misses with both, because I had not engaged the locks properly. In ten years of using these, I have never had a strap that came off by not being put on propoerly.

5) They are cheap, and they do not involve modifying your bass to fit them.

I've used those for a while now and had no real issues TBH. If you have a thick strap, then you may find fitting them a bit tight unless you have a long strap pin.
I also like the classic "Grolsch" method too ;) except I don't like the red rubber look.. need to get the felt pen out!

I've used some of these for years, and the only problem i encountered was when the two parts separated, but I think that was possibly my fault for not watching what I was doing. Otherwise they're great, and as mentioned above, if they were to fail, your strap is still on the pin.

[quote name='Marky L' post='390230' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:18 AM']I've used those for a while now and had no real issues TBH. If you have a thick strap, then you may find fitting them a bit tight unless you have a long strap pin.
I also like the classic "Grolsch" method too ;) except I don't like the red rubber look.. need to get the felt pen out![/quote]

Last weekend I managed to liberate some green and blue rubber Grolsch style locks from the posh water bottles in a post resturant we were visiting ...

Marky PM me your address and I'll send you a blue or green pair :P

I have a set of the OP plastic things and they can be fiddly to get on and off and when they wear they loosen up and don't work as well..
Takes two hands to get them off which is a pain sometimes.
They are available in most UK guitar shop too so no need to get them from the states

Edited by OldGit

I've used these before and I found that either the 2 parts seperated or would spin back round so that they were unlocked and start rattling around on the end pin. Personally, I use Dimarzio Clip Lock straps, which are screwed directly onto the bass, very sturdy and very secure. It does mean, though, that the strap is always on the bass, but that doesn't bother me.

I use Grolsch washers on my Strat, which do a very good job AND it means I got to drink 2 bottles of Grolsch to attain them.