Why become a member? ×

Korg Pandora PX-4D & alternatives

Lfalex v1.1

Hello Everyone.
I'm looking for a small (but solid!) device for (mobile/headphone) practice purposes.
It'll be driving a pair of headphones, and needs an input for an MP3 player or similar so I can jam along.
Ideally it'd be both mains or battery powered.
I'm not too bothered about on-board FX, although a good OD/light distortion, compressor and chorus certainly wouldn't offend me!!
Tone controls would be helpful, as might a gain control, as it'll need to handle both active and passive basses.
Good sound quality is a pre-requisite, though.
Budget? £150 max, I suppose.
I've seen the Korg Pandora PX-4D for £75 on Amazon. I like the integrated tuner (one less box to carry/power!) but am non-plussed by the amp modelling (I'll bet most are for the guitarists out there!) I don't need the phrase trainer function particularly, either.
Do Tascam still do the BassTrainer or a Pandora equivalent?
I've read the PX-4D reviews on Harmony Central, but they all seem to be by guitarists, and vary massively from dreadful to perfect!

Sorry for the lengthy intro, but I know it helps you to help me!

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='385912' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:18 PM']Hello Everyone.
I'm looking for a small (but solid!) device for (mobile/headphone) practice purposes.
It'll be driving a pair of headphones, and needs an input for an MP3 player or similar so I can jam along.
Ideally it'd be both mains or battery powered.
I'm not too bothered about on-board FX, although a good OD/light distortion, compressor and chorus certainly wouldn't offend me!!
Tone controls would be helpful, as might a gain control, as it'll need to handle both active and passive basses.
Good sound quality is a pre-requisite, though.
Budget? £150 max, I suppose.
I've seen the Korg Pandora PX-4D for £75 on Amazon. I like the integrated tuner (one less box to carry/power!) but am non-plussed by the amp modelling (I'll bet most are for the guitarists out there!) I don't need the phrase trainer function particularly, either.
Do Tascam still do the BassTrainer or a Pandora equivalent?
I've read the PX-4D reviews on Harmony Central, but they all seem to be by guitarists, and vary massively from dreadful to perfect!

Sorry for the lengthy intro, but I know it helps you to help me!

Thanks in advance,

Alex.[/quote]
You do not mention the metronome or drum kit feature, so I assume this is not a feature you want.

If you do not need amp modelling and phrase training, and can manage without the integral tuner, a Pocket Rock-it would give you bass + aux input, and chorus and distortion. There were about £35 before our financial troubles started.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='385951' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:43 PM']You do not mention the metronome or drum kit feature, so I assume this is not a feature you want.

If you do not need amp modelling and phrase training, and can manage without the integral tuner, a Pocket Rock-it would give you bass + aux input, and chorus and distortion. There were about £35 before our financial troubles started.[/quote]

Not unduly bothered by drum kit or metronome. The in-built tuner would be handy.
Tascam DO produce a range of trainers. They're here;

[url="http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,21.html"]Tascam Trainer Range[/url]

I'd forgotten about the Rock-its. Thanks!
Still don't know which way to go yet.
Might have to try a few...

The one on Amazon looks to be a PX4A - acoustic version.

The Pandora is a great piece of kit. I have a PX3B and use it every day. It's travelled to Europe to Canada with me and is great fr practice, learning songs, metronome training. The ability to practice anywhere and everywhere without annoying people - other than the type writer sound of unamplified bass - has been a huge benefit.

I bought an old Korg pandora PX3B (the red one) cheap off eBay a few years ago. It's brilliant for practice and portability, I always take it to shops with me. You can tune with it and it has a bunch of backing rhythms that you can change the tempo on.

I got the new model when it came out (the one for bass + guitar) and I didn't like it as much. Where's the new one now - on loan to a nephew, I kept the old one!

[quote name='Toasted' post='387207' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:55 AM']I have bad GAS for a Cafe Walter HA-1 practice amp for this very situation.[/quote]
Thanks.
That's wicked. Bet it sounds really good. I see it has an Aux out to drive a tuner, too.
Only trouble is 510g of weight + relatively large dimensions make it a bit "gig bag unfriendly", plus the need to carry a tuner.
Actually. No. I'll record some test tones onto my MP3 player and phone, and tune against [i]those[/i]...
More weight saved!

Any idea on prices/shipping before I mail Bass Northwest?

Yes - give me a min I have an email. Although the £/$ is 1.38 today, which is ****ing awful.

EDIT: From BassNW [i]Cafe Walter HA-1A Headphone Practice Amp - $169.00 + $50.00 U.S. Postal Service shipping and handling (fully insured)[/i]

I've gotta say, we'd be better picking up one from the TB Classifieds, $50 post seems excessive. There's a few for sale there at the moment.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='387285' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:00 AM']Yes - give me a min I have an email. Although the £/$ is 1.38 today, which is ****ing awful.

EDIT: From BassNW [i]Cafe Walter HA-1A Headphone Practice Amp - $169.00 + $50.00 U.S. Postal Service shipping and handling (fully insured)[/i]

I've gotta say, we'd be better picking up one from the TB Classifieds, $50 post seems excessive. There's a few for sale there at the moment.[/quote]
The problem with their postal charges is that when the content value exceeds a threshold, they have to go onto a different tarif to get the insurance cover. That automatically puts it into the hands of Parcelforce, who collect the UK VAT etc, and charge you for the privilege of being served by them.

So...

At today's exchange rate,

Call it £160 delivered. Against £75 for the all singing, all dancing Korg, less for a PX-3B from the 'bay, or £114 for the MP3 Tascam unit, which does it all in one box, but entails more software installation and track synchronization.
A bit steep for what it is, good or otherwise.
Maybe s/h from TB is the way to go for the Cafe Walter, as it's unlikely they'll have seen gigging abuse/heavy usage...

Well done guys. BC is really helping me out at the mo'!