Why become a member? ×

Sourcing Carpet Cover for DIY Cab

SimBass

Hi, I'm a reader but dont alwasy get chance to post...since I read at work! but could really do with some help sourcing some carpet to cover a DIY cab I built, Originally I vanished it but it's starting to look dated and rather like a coffee table so I'm looking to cover it.

In the sticky on DIY cabs I saw:
"Cab covering and grille were from www.allangordon.co.uk, I much prefer it to the round ones that Maplin (et al) do.

[RichardH note - allangordon are now sadly not trading - I understand retirement was the reason]"

and the pic this went with was the sort of thing I'm looking for so if anyone knows where I can get it (or tell me if the Maplin stuff is any good) that would be great!
N.B. the closer it can match my Markbass cabs black carpet the better.

Thanks!

[quote name='andyonbass' post='385304' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:46 PM']Have a look at [url="http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1000528&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=carpet&Ntx="]CPC Farnell[/url]

Or there's some on ebay if you search for "Speaker Carpet"[/quote]

The Maplin carpet is ok, a little thin (be careful when your stretching it) and its grey rather than the traditional black, but I quite like that as it looks custom.

If you're certain about carpet then go ahead but have you considered cabinet paint?

I've used the blue aran stuff on a few BFM cabs, put on with a small gloss roller. It's nice and easy to use, dries quickly, looks good and is pretty durable. If you smash it it's easy to patch up.

[quote name='andyonbass' post='386817' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:05 PM']The CPC stuff is fine, I used it on my O10.5s

[attachment=19003:25sept2.JPG][/quote]
@andyonbass Thanks for the pic...its really good to see the stuff actually on a cab.
Any tips on getting the stuff on as neat and tidy as yours is?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the tips on getting carpet...I always think its good for people to report back after following advice. I've finished the cab and its gone from being a coffee table to matching almost perfectly with my markbass rig.
I actually built the cab before I bought the Markbass gear but amazingly it is exactly the right size for a nice 500W 1 X15 and 2 X 10 stack....NICE...really please with the outcome of the CPC black cab carpet...now I just need to look after it so that it doesn't get scruffy!

Thanks again for the help...(sorry camara phone photo)
[attachment=19595:DIY_CAB.jpg]

Edited by SimBass

[quote name='SimBass' post='387142' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:10 AM']@andyonbass Thanks for the pic...its really good to see the stuff actually on a cab.
Any tips on getting the stuff on as neat and tidy as yours is?[/quote]

Sorry I didn't reply, I've only just seen your post (I think I need to adjust my email notification settings ;) However it looks like you've done a grand job, anyway :P
I did find that my second cab was an improvement on the first but I still managed to glue some carpet to my shoes!!

Yeah, on the whole I'm really pleased with the way it turned out...it was a bit tricky at times, but everythign was nice and neat, it was just the bits where the two edges meet that was trick...they all went well except the last edge...I ended up with a small gap on the back (less than a milimeter and hardly visibly...but very annoying when all teh rest went so well. To be honest I doubt anyone except me will ever noticed so yeah I'm really pleased...the best tip was on the CPC website which suggested "rolling" the cab over the carpet which worked really well.
I just cant believe how nicely it fits in with my markbass cab now, really pleased...and it sounds awsome!

Edited by SimBass

A bit late, now, but here's a great [url="http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_video.php?viewkey=5a2e075a1a4a6e1b9770"]Carpeting tutorial[/url]

Oh and if you paint the surface with black paint underneath where the joins will go, it kind of disguises any gaps. ;)

you can see where I painted along the intended joins
[attachment=19615:20july1edit.jpg]

Edited by andyonbass

[quote name='andyonbass' post='397874' date='Feb 2 2009, 02:18 PM']Oh and if you paint the surface with black paint underneath where the joins will go, it kind of disguises any gaps
you can see where I painted along the intended joins[/quote]
Don't tell any one but on the 1mm gap I had left a ran a black permanent marker down it ....voila....it vanished ;)