Why become a member? ×

Mixing/EQing/Mastering a live recording?

Oscar South

I've got some live recordings back today and we're going to use them as a demo, the tracks we have are a stage overhead and 4 vocal mics, the drums, bass and guitar come through pretty well on the overhead though.

Mixing is obvious of course, just balance levels etc., but can anyone give me any advice of what I should do to it get the best sound for being played out of generic PC and Hi-Fi speakers? I like the sound I get from the flat mix but I just want to make it come over better through most soundsystems, I'm using Cubase SX3 for the job.

Thanks,
Oscar

Edited by Oscar South

Just trust your own ears Oscar... being your band, you are probably the best judge.
To get a little technical though, beware of your room's acoustics and 'peaks & troughs' in your mixes.
If you're mixing in a bedroom environment, it might pay to take the mattress off the bed and stand it up on the wall directly behind where you're mixing. Close any curtains as well. Remember, its better to cut rather than boost with regard to EQ. Try for a generic 'hi-fi' mix as this will suit most. The songs will sound different on headphones, in cars, in bathrooms, in pubs etc. you could end up with about ten different mixes and a bloody great headache!!

Good luck.

Do you have a couple of commercial tracks in mind you like?
And want the sound / volume of your mix to be heading?
If so, pull them into SX3 and use them as reference against your trax.
A/B them, then try and adjust your EQ/ Comp / Limiter or whatever towards that sound.
Its not gonna sound anywhere near that, but will be pointing you in the right direction.

As Slaphappy said...[ regards the mix and master ]
Get that right and it should sound good anywhere.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='384199' date='Jan 18 2009, 05:47 PM']Do you have a couple of commercial tracks in mind you like?
And want the sound / volume of your mix to be heading?
If so, pull them into SX3 and use them as reference against your trax.
A/B them, then try and adjust your EQ/ Comp / Limiter or whatever towards that sound.[/quote]

I remember seeing plug-ins several years ago which would attempt to clone the characteristics of a reference piece and apply to your recording. Not sure if I overestimated the plug-in I saw in use. Can't remember the name of it either!

[quote name='The Funk' post='384227' date='Jan 18 2009, 06:37 PM']I remember seeing plug-ins several years ago which would attempt to clone the characteristics of a reference piece and apply to your recording. Not sure if I overestimated the plug-in I saw in use. Can't remember the name of it either![/quote]

And there's the problem with audio recording today. Since TC introduced the finalizer everyone thinks it's just a matter of adding a plugin and pressing a button. You don't have to know what the mix sounds like and you can apply presets to everything... ;)

When using a limited number of tracks, especially when recording drums with just one or two mics, i've found the following technique helps to beef it out....

Make a group or FX channel, put the multiband compressor that comes with SX3 on this channel, send a signal from the main mix, mess about with it (I always use 4 or 5 bands) until it sounds good. The send from the mix channel can act as an easy way to adjust the input level/threshold on the multiband. The dry mix at the same time adds punch, the multiband adds beef!