Why become a member? ×

A group photo with the new arrivals - a jazz and a precision.

6stringbassist

The new arrivals in a group photo, the jazz usually hangs on the opposite wall it's not always resting against the wall.

The Fender Marcus Miller jazz bass, has been fitted with Nordstrand NJ4's for more of a retro sound, and has some LaBella flats on, it was way too zingy with round wounds, I don't slap and I get a great finger style funk sound with the flats and if they're good enough for M'eshell.

I only got the Sting precision on Monday, and I have to say that I'm really happy with it, it's really well made, I really can't fault the construction at all.
And I can't see why all the fuss is made about the signature inlay, you can barely see it, it's made from a beautiful bit of ash, that is shown off nicely under the sunburst finish.
It has a Seymour Duncan Basslines pickup that was put on by the last owner, I may change it to an Antiquity II.
It's fitted with a set of DR nickel LoRiders for a nice warm sound.

The Wechter was recently fretted by Martin Petersen, it has a bound fingerboard so it took him 3 days to cut the slots for the new frets, he did a fantastic job.
It's strung with TI flats more of an uprightish sound, my one jazz group love it, and I play it in a trio with a girl singer and an guitarist in Leicester.
I'd like to change the Fishman pickup for something more natural sounding, and have a preamp fitted for a bit of control over the tone.

The Sei is still my favourite though, and is the best bass I've ever played by a mile, again that's also fitted with a set of flatwounds, Status this time..

Edited by 6stringbassist

Nice, gotta love having the staple basses in the stable.

[quote]The Sei is still my favourite though, and is the best bass I've ever played by a mile, again that's also fitted with a set of flatwounds, Status this time..[/quote]
Also good to hear.

May I ask why you've elected to go with flatwounds? Just out of interest...

Mark

[quote name='steve-soar' post='385834' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:25 AM']Hi Kev, all you need is a nicely battered, old German upright and you are sorted.
What Epi cabs do you have ATM?[/quote]

Hi Steve

Thanks, I have 2 1x12's.

And yes, it's your old Sting bass, I love it thanks.

I tried flats on it and didn't like it too much, I prefer the nickel rounds.

Kevin