Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz past 12th fret.......

Basscabman

Howdo Folks...

My Jazz Bass has a lot of buzzing and dead notes from the 15th fret up to about the 19th, I like a really low action which i have the the rest of the neck but past the 12th i can't get it lower without the buzzing and dead notes.

I've checked all the frets from the 12th to the 20th with a fret level edge and have no high frets, There Is no shim under the neck in the pocket. I can raise the saddles to get rid of the buzz but that defeats the low action above the 12th.

Could the last fret be too high?

Cheers for any advice.

Sounds like your neck relief is OK.  I aim for 'just perceptible movement' tapping the top and bottom string at the mid point between the 1st and the 16th - which sounds pretty much what you have described.

Holding down at the first fret, what is your 12th fret action height currently for, say, the G?

In general terms, two possibilities occur to me:

First is that there are some high spots somewhere that you haven't picked up.  But, as I gather you have already deduced, it is actually quite difficult to pick this up if it is the last fret because you can't use the 3-fret rocking method.  You actually can't do too much harm taking the last fret down a tad so this is certainly something worth considering.  If it is this, then it wouldn't take a lot - masking tape either side of the fret, then a few even strokes of a fingernail emery board along the top, then removal of the scratches with emery paper 400 through to 2000 (I think you can get a mixed pack at Halfords) would do the job.  

Second is that you are at such a low action that you need to consider a gentle and even dropaway of the upper fret heights.  If this is needed it should be done by an experienced tech or luthier because, other than the end fret, every fret will affect every other fret - so it does have to be done right! 

I'm no expert, but I gather the reason some builders incorporate a dropaway (basically angling the upper frets progressively lower - but we are talking teeny amounts) is that the geometry of the neck and fretboard changes as the heel starts deepening and the neck meets the body.  Before this, the neck is flexible and the relief curve is smooth.  But near and over the body, the neck is rigid and straight - it can't and it doesn't bend.  In most cases - because we are talking about very small measurements here - the action height is high enough that this gives no problems at all.  But if you are talking VERY low action, then these sorts of things matter a lot.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Basscabman said:

Howdo Folks...

My Jazz Bass has a lot of buzzing and dead notes from the 15th fret up to about the 19th, I like a really low action which i have the the rest of the neck but past the 12th i can't get it lower without the buzzing and dead notes.

I've checked all the frets from the 12th to the 20th with a fret level edge and have no high frets, There Is no shim under the neck in the pocket. I can raise the saddles to get rid of the buzz but that defeats the low action above the 12th.

Could the last fret be too high?

Cheers for any advice.

There are usable frets above 7th ? Huh ? He’s obviously from some other freaking galaxy 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 3