Why become a member? ×

G.A.S ALERT!

The Admiral

I picked up a small Yamaha PA from my local shop tonight, and the guys were talking about the impending price increases they are going to have to mark up soon, and that I had "made the right cjoice to buy it now" .

Apparently, due to the movement of the US dollar over the last 6 months (the universal currency of business in the far east and indeed the USA) against the pound, it would seem that over the next week or so it is likely prices on gear will rise by an average of something not far off 20%. Equally euro based prices - for gear sourced in europe - will mean higher prices too - and you only have to look at Thomann.de prices now to see how much they may be affected.

I have no evidence other than my own observations, but it feels like Fenders have already crept up quite a bit since the end of last summer.

I hate to say it - but perhaps if you are thinking about a sizeable purchase, now might be the time - particularly if you are after a £2,000 rig - which could be £400 more in two weeks time?!

I believe 20th January may well be D-Day for many retailers - next Tuesday, although, that said - this is one bit of inside info, which - whilst I foiund it quite convincing (I'm not dithering over a purchase - so no chivvying along needed) it doesn't represent a massive base of evidence.

A

In a lot of areas I've noticed that the crappy pound -> dollar has been boosting prices horribly for the past few months. So if the instrument retailers haven't already increased the prices then they'll be doing it soon. I guess it depends on when they have to order more stock from the states.

Now is either the worst time to buy; or the best for a while - depending on whether your chosen outlet has already adjusted for £:$.

Edited by Eight

It really depends on how much the importers have been hedging their exposure - the impression I've had so far is that a lot of people haven't covered themselves due to years of sterling being overvalued and thus forwards seeming unnecessary (though it's gone too far the other way now) and they're really being hit hard on their margins. I'd expect to see a series of gradual increases on all prices of imported goods because if you correct your prices by 25% in one go you're likely to see your customers go elsewhere. On the flip side the cost of raw materials is going back down again so we should see some correction from that.

Alex

[quote name='Clarky' post='380064' date='Jan 14 2009, 10:38 AM']The answer is buy British! Only problem is I can't stretch to John Shuker's price for a JJB Precision ;)[/quote]

Course you can ...
Once ordered you have about 9 months to save up and sell your other P basses ...

:P