fretmeister

Normal J size pickups that sound like a P?

Jaime at Creamery Pick ups based in Manchester is well worth talking too, nice guy, amazing pick ups, he may just be able to custom wind what you want if you can wait

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Gav - you know Turdstrand references are not allowed in threads I follow!

for a stacked P, Seymour Duncan hot stack found in the dusty hill bass is monster.

The 'Dusty Hil' is a standard 51 pick up shape - the Split 51 is in a jazz pick up format/case. Gotta give the people what they want! :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

I'm planning to do the same to my sunburst Jazz Bass, but using Dimarzio Area P and J pickups this time.

Don't know what the pups are in mine (bought it from The Bass Gallery and they didn't know), but I've added KioGon stacked knobs and it sounds spot on. Bridge pickup adds a nice bit of bite when needed. 

IMG_20191117_174851.jpg

Edited by DoubleOhStephan
  • Like 2

I know that - but routing has been mentioned and certainly preferable to turdstrands (all IMHO of course - no offence meant!)

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I know that - but routing has been mentioned and certainly preferable to turdstrands (all IMHO of course - no offence meant!)

Nae harm pal!

• Like 1

I've turned two Jazz basses into PJ Basses. One Squier and one MIM Fender body. I didn't need to remove that much wood in each case, as the neck pickup route is already oversized.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, owen said:

That switch is ALL sorts of wrong. Surely that can be done with a rotary switch?

Very likely, yes. A four-way rotary switch would allow the same functionality and keep the controls looking normal.

I suppose it’s sold as a tele jazz plate hence the switch either straight or on the angle.

Rotary would work, functionally this works very well and is very easy to select which setting you want.

Its all options depending and what you fancy

My Sandberg Alnico 5s in my passive TT4 sound very P like in the neck position. 

I've had DiMarzio Model J's in the past and while the neck pickup sounds P like it wasn't to my taste. The large pole Delano I had in my old active TT4 also sounded P like but the Sandberg Alnicos sound fantastic.

• Like 2