Why become a member? ×

Which 5 string fretless?

Golchen

I want to get a decent 5 string fretless bass, preferably lined. Any suggestions?

I wanted to give fretless a go, so I got a cheap Harley Benton a while ago. I love the fretless sound, but I do not love the HB! Being a bit long in the tooth, I have accumulated a reasonable hoard of instruments over the years, and all my best ones are what I refer to as a 'decent bit of kit'. So really I'm looking for a fretless decent bit of kit, new or second hand, for less than £1000.

Anyone got any suggestions?

There doesn't seem to be that many good 5 string fretless basses that turn up on eBay?!?

I just picked up an Alembic Epic - really nice (if a bit heavy) for less than grand. The clean sound of their pickups and circuits really pays off on a fretless.

Think about buying a good bass (ebony board, if poss) and having it de-fretted. This opens up the choice a lot, and doesn't cost huge amounts to do. Rosewood boards work fine, sound a bit woodier but wear a lot quicker. Flat wound strings can be great, (also cheap - you'll hardly ever change them)as can fingerboard "coatings" of various recipes - loads of choices, depending on the sound you're after.

I wouldn't defret a wenge board though - not sure how it would feel or wear....you'll never forget a wenge splinter...

Happy hunting

BB

From my own very limited fretless experience, the best I've owned (or played) was a 1990 Warwick Thumb thru neck which I picked up off evilBay four years ago for about £900. Bargain, wish I'd stuck with it now I think about it! lol

So organic sounding, Warwick use the "The Sound of Wood" strapline justifiably. It had absolutely stunning mwahhhhh. The Thumb character midrange woody growl really worked for the fretless tone, the two staggered MEC's near the bridge no doubt helping too.

The early thru neck Thumbs are apparently as rare as rocking horse droppings but if you're not able to find one, the bolt ones are a great alternative.

Maybe also look at the fretless 5 string 'Rays. Great sounding and playing, something really graceful about the unlined pau ferro boards and the MM pickup into the series/single coil/parallel EQ give you loads of great tonal choices.

All IMHO! ;-)

T

For the price, I don't think it is possible to beat the Ibanez Gary Willis bass. The cheaper model can be bought for around £500, maybe less if you shop around, and it has a ton of "mwah". I haven't played the more expensive one, but it's definitely more than a grand anyway. Really nice basses, I would have bought one myself had I not wanted a six string. Don't be put off (as many bass players are, for some reason:s) by the fact that it's an Ibanez. Great bass!

(P.S. I am not an Ibanez sales employee, haha)

Daniel

+1 for the Ibanez Gary Willis Bass, they're good pieces of kit.

You could probably also afford a Sandberg within this budget, Gwilym has a really nice 6 string fretless Sandberg, i've not heard it though.

I personally favour the Roscoe/F Bass/Marleaux fretlesses, but you'd be searching for years to find one within your budget, but if you can stretch the extra mile, i'd heavily suggest it giving it some thought. Failing that i'd hold out for an Ibanez GWB1, they're good basses!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='tonyf' post='40050' date='Aug 1 2007, 03:46 PM']...Maybe also look at the fretless 5 string 'Rays. Great sounding and playing, something really graceful about the unlined pau ferro boards and the MM pickup into the series/single coil/parallel EQ give you loads of great tonal choices.

All IMHO! ;-)

T[/quote]

+1

A 1990. Now strung CGDAE.