Why become a member? ×

SOLD please delete thanks

ari

These are really lovely - very modern and hi-fi but with real presence and some excellent, useable features. In my experience, it's a versatile amp but the 'flat' sound with a modern, high-end bass (Sei, Overwater etc.) is exquisite. Build quality is extraordinary too. This is a good price (especially with the bag).

[quote name='ashevans09' post='381241' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:19 PM']Aaaah if only epifani amps went to 2 ohms I would have this off you in a heartbeat ;)[/quote]

Why do you want to run an amp at 2 ohms!?
They really don't like that - even if they say they work at 2 ohms you're going to get better headroom and longevity at 4
If you've got so many cabs why not add another amp ?

Curious to know what you're thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='382652' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:15 PM']Why do you want to run an amp at 2 ohms!?
They really don't like that - even if they say they work at 2 ohms you're going to get better headroom and longevity at 4

Curious to know what you're thinking.[/quote]

The minimum impedance at the output stage of this and most class d topology amplifiers is 4 ohms, the giveaway is usually the lightweight aspect of such heads Markbass F1, Aguilar AG 500 and so on... The switching power supply will not drive a low impedance load so 4 ohms is what you get at this price point.

However there are good quality amplifiers that will drive 2 ohms all day long (not class d), some unscroupulous manufacturers will give the 2 ohm power rating as the advertised output. It's a compromise, you want to get the maximum output with one box you'll buy a 4ohm cab or 2x8 ohm boxes, if you need to expand and add cabinets then you'll need an amplifier to handle impedance below 4ohms.. or as you've stated buy another head to drive the second cab.

This is where the quality and design of the amplifier is crucial, I have an Aguilar DB 750 and it will drive 2 ohms without blinking, I've also ran EBS amplifiers down there and not had issues. The Epifani 502 is a fantastic sounding amp, I've also had the pleasure of owning this and the UL 902.. great sounding bits of kit so good luck with the sale.

Amplifier design has improved so much from the days of "2 ohms, call the fire brigade" so I suppose it's down to the power and output required by the player. I work for a loudspeaker manufacturer where amplifier topolgy is equally as important as cabinet design in achieving the best results.

502 great amp..

Bump

Edited by BossHog

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='382652' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:15 PM']Why do you want to run an amp at 2 ohms!?

Curious to know what you're thinking.[/quote]
Nonsense. I ran a Peavey T-max for years at 2 ohms into 2 4ohm 210TX cabs. Peavey have stopped running at 2 ohms but lots of other quality amps like EBS do.

If he has the cabs to run at 2 ohms, why buy an amp you cant use? Who knows - he may even be running 2 112's and a 210!