Why become a member? ×

Pedal Chain - Future Impact / Doom / MF101 / Octavre / Cali 76

Bass-Face

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah soz 😁. Welcome to the rabbit hole world of pedals.

I scaled up my Classic Jr to a PT2 and it's surprising how much you can fit on that, especially if you put a couple of items underboard (in my case the MXR IsoBrick PSU and Source Audio Neurohub). Here's a recent iteration prior to the sudden sad demise of my Tech 21 Red Ripper which seems to have given up the good fight and I need to see if I can find a decent (and not to expensive) local Tech to repair.

I've avoided the need for an LS2 as the Boss SY1 has parallel loop capability and I've made use of that to put three pedals in its loop:

PB - 1910.jpg

If that the normal size FI ? doesn't look too big on the board. You don't have the FI on a seperate loop do you interesting. 

Right been planning boards and ended up the the classic junior and classic 3 options so the previous advice was right :) 

Had two substitute  you're doom (2nd top) for the Cali76 and Wonderlove top line for Future impact. Also winder love on bottom line to substitute 3Leaf Ocatavre. Hopefully the sizes are close. Anyway here are the options. Which one do you think would work best ? Thought the 2 leaves a little for growth ;)

I also added theOC2 but may loose this as its temperamental. 

Is it worth investing in tour grade case? I manage the PA etc so have quite a bit of kit in the van. 

986576140_ScreenShot2019-10-30at06_57_28.thumb.png.f2f02bb1a4c609bc41c54b05385f578b.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 06.57.54.png

Edited by Bass-Face

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My vote would be:

1. Ditto

2. Cali76 (comp at the start of the chain to tigthten things up for the rest of the pedals) - IMO the Cali is not particularly designed to work as a limiter as its top end compression ratios are fairly limited compared to say a Becos or Keeley Bassist, and it lacks a 'threshold' knob if I remember correctly.

3. FI (give this the cleanest signal to act on)

[3A. Buy an LS2 and put some or all of the remaining three in a parallel loop to give you an alternate synth, and allow the Octave to also bite on a clean signal to minimise glitching]

4. Octave

5. Doom

6. MF 

Also recommend you get a decent power supply with isolated outputs.

There you go 3 different bass players and 3 different suggestions - how many bassists does it take to work out an optimal pedal board layout? :) 

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but am I right in thinking the LS-2 would go at the beginning after the tuner and have the clean signal going in which would then spilt into 2 loops or is that totally wrong ?

22 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

*Edit- ha, pretty much the same as Al. I should have typed faster!*

If you're using the compressor for general levelling, I'd put it at the front. As a peak limiter it would work best at the end, to put a cap on high resonance peaks from the filter in the MF and FI.

With the octave before the FI you could trigger synths an octave lower (probably already configuarable within the FI), but may have trouble using any clean blend from the octave. With it after the FI you could blend the suboctave alongside the synth voice, for an even more layered sound.

Fuzz after FI and Octave but before the Filter is probably going to be the most useful.

If were me, I'd do this...

1.Tuner- it gets the cleanest signal at the front, regardless of what the other pedals are up to.

2.Comp- I'd be using it to gently level dynamics and shape the envelope, so it would help even response down the chain, but still give tactile control of the filter.

3.Synth- Less to mess with the tracking earlier on in the chain, and whether pure or blended with clean, this can be creating your 'core tone' when on, to be 'efffected' after if desired.

3.Octave- Used alone it will do normal octave stuff, but after the FI could add an octave below your synth voice for even bigger sounds.

4.Fuzz- being able to add fuzz after your synth and/or octave can enhance or glue together sounds, or create a new, wilder sound at the kick of a switch.

5.Filter- Even with a mix of clean and synth with an octave underneath all pushed into a wall of fuzz, the filter at this point will remain clear and effective. The only drawback is that you'll need to be careful with the dynamics going into the filter- it it's to flat or distorted you can loose the sweep but that's mainky a matter of how heavy handed tou want to be earlier in the chain.

6.Ditto- I'd have it here for layering up sounds and noodling on top, but for laying down a loop to fiddle with effects as you want to, it would obviously be more useful near the front. I'd say after the comp, but before if you want to tweak about with that too!

Regardless- enjoy experimenting!

Thanks alot for this your chain interests me as less pedals. Al recommended the LC-2 would you also recommend this ? To be. honest the simpler the better, which is probably. not apparent from my choice of pedals ha ha anyway pros and cons would be great :)

Check these vids out and it will give you a pretty good idea whether an LS-2 will add something for you:

Using for parallel loops:

Probably best to start with everything simple and in series and then once you're familiar with your pedals and how they blend together you can then have a think about going parallel with an LS2. And there will always be plenty of buyers for your LS2, if you get one and decide it's not for you. My suggestion was "in brackets" as just something to think about. I'm managing fine with parallel looping on my Boss SY1 and don't have an LS2 myself.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

For what they cost 2nd hand an LS2 is a really handy thing to have around if you're gonna be using more than a few pedals. It's not just parallel blending, it's a clean blend, a bypass looper, a boost, a guitar switcher, an amp switcher, a mixer. Once you get your head round it it's indispensable. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

For what they cost 2nd hand an LS2 is a really handy thing to have around if you're gonna be using more than a few pedals. It's not just parallel blending, it's a clean blend, a bypass looper, a boost, a guitar switcher, an amp switcher, a mixer. Once you get your head round it it's indispensable. 

+1^^ can't argue with that! You almost persuaded me to get a replacement one! Fortunately I don't have any space left on my board 😁

@Bass-Face yup that is the normal sized FI. Mr Gisser gets them into even more compact housing (e.g. in case you need to fit on an LS2 😊)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+1^^ can't argue with that! You almost persuaded me to get a replacement one! Fortunately I don't have any space left on my board 😁

@Bass-Face yup that is the normal sized FI. Mr Gisser gets them into even more compact housing (e.g. in case you need to fit on an LS2 😊)

Thank you both that makes sense I will get one 😀

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

As the guys a have said above, the LS-2 is very useful and flexible in it's own right. It will certainly give more options for blending effects, and as I think Al mentioned, could make sure you give both the octave and synth a cleaner signal to work with, even when both on.

However I'd keep it simple to start with, but if you start to notice any limitations from running the pedals in series, the erstwhile LS-2 is a good first contender to help out.

Thanks for your advice it makes sense and I’ll order one in the morning 😀

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Check these vids out and it will give you a pretty good idea whether an LS-2 will add something for you:

Using for parallel loops:

Probably best to start with everything simple and in series and then once you're familiar with your pedals and how they blend together you can then have a think about going parallel with an LS2. And there will always be plenty of buyers for your LS2, if you get one and decide it's not for you. My suggestion was "in brackets" as just something to think about. I'm managing fine with parallel looping on my Boss SY1 and don't have an LS2 myself.

Thank you for all the info definitely going to get one tomorrow 😀

Get a Tri Parallel Mixer rather than faffing with the little Boss thing. The order others are suggesting seems sensible to me i.e. fuzz before filter, tuner and comp before all, pitch near the start. 

But with the Tpm nothing is before or after anything else... 

25 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Get a Tri Parallel Mixer rather than faffing with the little Boss thing. The order others are suggesting seems sensible to me i.e. fuzz before filter, tuner and comp before all, pitch near the start. 

But with the Tpm nothing is before or after anything else... 

What are the benefits of having the Trio PM ? thanks for the message not purchased yet so good info :)

5 hours ago, Bass-Face said:

What are the benefits of having the Trio PM ? thanks for the message not purchased yet so good info :)

I love mine! But that does not answer your question. When pedals are in series each one affects the next one in the chain. This is sometimes desirable. I have pitch shifter I always use with a distortion for example. An octaver which benefits from a graphic eq - that kind if thing. 

However a parallel set up means each pedal is blended with the clean signal and nothing else (unless you place other pedals in a loop with it). So the synth, octave and fuzz for example will be running side by side and not affecting one another but producing the sound of three different bassists playing simultaneously through three different effects. 

It's massive  Or subtle  You get to mix each one how you want to. 

30 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I love mine! But that does not answer your question. When pedals are in series each one affects the next one in the chain. This is sometimes desirable. I have pitch shifter I always use with a distortion for example. An octaver which benefits from a graphic eq - that kind if thing. 

However a parallel set up means each pedal is blended with the clean signal and nothing else (unless you place other pedals in a loop with it). So the synth, octave and fuzz for example will be running side by side and not affecting one another but producing the sound of three different bassists playing simultaneously through three different effects. 

It's massive  Or subtle  You get to mix each one how you want to. 

Sounds interesting and like it could be a good option is this the best pedal for doing that or are there other options as well? I like the sound of it but worried about taking on too much as I am pretty crap with tech (I know probably have the wrong pedals ha ha) but actually this looks simpler than the other pedal in some ways. Mind you would take up alot of room by the look of it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply its very helpful ::)

Might be a bit of a big step as you're just starting out. I struggled with multiple pedals when I started (not very long ago) and I experimented an awful lot before finding what works for me, and even then I change it all regularly! Maybe start with a couple pedals, get a feel for them then add others in over time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Might be a bit of a big step as you're just starting out. I struggled with multiple pedals when I started (not very long ago) and I experimented an awful lot before finding what works for me, and even then I change it all regularly! Maybe start with a couple pedals, get a feel for them then add others in over time. 

Yeah I’ll take it easy ha ha I have been using the MF for a while and octave and Cali but yeah when you start adding gets complex