John F

sai folded horn

Hi has anybody seen one of these cabs before because i was suprised to find sai orange cabs did not know they did them 1978 cab 200w gauss 18"

I have done quite a bit to it because it was in very poor condition bought it from a bass player. been all over the world with it so he said.

Sai folded bin 18 001.JPG

Sai folded bin 18 005.JPG

sai refit 19-10-2019 001.JPG

sai refit 19-10-2019 003.JPG

• Like 1

I remember these from the ‘70s - I was a big bin user back then. However, I know very little about Sai. Gauss were as good as it got in those days. Fascinating find. Heavy I’d suspect?

• Like 1

Hi Three

Yes you are correct it is very heavy 18mm birch ply this was made by Sai chorley they built mainly band equipment 4x12s etc but when disco took off they had a go at that as well top quailty gear without a doubt.still use mine.

plus amp heads bass ,bass/treble

But this is different because its orange and everything else they did was black or dark grey but all their cabinets were ply and heavy and sound fantastic and very punchy, for a 200w cab this rattles things. 

And the pictures are of my 4 Sai ported bins which are 1000w RMS each

regards John

SAI ported bins 1.jpg

SAI ported bins 2.jpg

• Like 1

Dear me, what a collection.  This all makes sense - I used to see a lot of Sai cabs around Manchester, where I lived in the '70s and '80s - I've returned now, though not so many Sai cabs.  I had no idea that Sai was a Chorley firm.  I saw both the disco and band gear but never anything in Orange - a special order no doubt.  Those four ported bins look astounding.  I used to work with a very similar pair, though JBL loaded with on board horns (as the Sai design).  They were immensely heavy but sounded fantastic - great for smallish FOH use.  Lovely to see some of this vintage gear in such good condition, and hopefully still earning its keep.