Why become a member? ×

Just got one

BassQueen

Hi all,

New to this forum. I played my first double bass as a young girl aged 14-15 years old whilst at school, as it was the only instrument left. Afetr switching to electric, for some years now I have always lusted after a double bass, but lack of funds etc.. could flog my pre 80's stingray but hey would you??
I won a bass on ebay paid £427 for it. Its about 10 years old comes from romania somewhere and was sold to me by the guy who use to play it in various jazz bands, so it has a great tone and is set up nicely. So, i consider myself very fortunate indeed. As I vaguely remember what I was taught back in the murky depths of time I bought a teaching dvd to re-aquaint myself with what seems to be like an old dear friend, and now I'm loving it.
I'm building it up day by day as I forgot the stamina and strength required to play, compared to leccies!! (unless its just me getting older!!)
So, onwards and upwards ! Point being, I did not have to pay a fortune to play around with a double bass and this suits my needs for now. I can always upgrade if I outgrow and if i get some money!!

Bassqueen. :wub:

Well, I'm indulging myself in some jazz!

Spent another 20 mins practising scales yesterday till my hand objected, still gonna do that very day until I have the strength back in my little finger!
Once the strength is back then I can do more. I had a spinal cord injury 5 years ago which greatly impaired my arm and finger strength and I did not play for a while, but really getting into it again. Any more women out there playing double bass on this forum or just little old me??

Bassqueen :wub:

[quote name='BeLow' post='373550' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:49 PM']Welcome bass queen - I bought myself an electric upright bass and have been amazed at how much more physical the playing is - keep us posted on progress - what sort of stuff are you playing?[/quote]

[quote name='BassQueen' post='374146' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:40 PM']Well, I'm indulging myself in some jazz!

Spent another 20 mins practising scales yesterday till my hand objected, still gonna do that very day until I have the strength back in my little finger!
Once the strength is back then I can do more. I had a spinal cord injury 5 years ago which greatly impaired my arm and finger strength and I did not play for a while, but really getting into it again. Any more women out there playing double bass on this forum or just little old me??

Bassqueen :wub:[/quote]

Nice one keep it up and let us know how you progress. I have never played a double bass but did have a Framus EUB from about 1965 that I stupidly sold to Musicground for a pittance a few years ago.
I'm not sure as to any other women playing DB here but you can bet there are a few "Queens".... :)

I do envy you. I did some hand/arm damage playing a badly set up UB in the late 1990s and have never recovered (it still causes problems now - I have an adapted computer keyboard in front of me because of it). I wish I knew then what I know now but life lets us down sometimes. Oi Vey!

Anyway, welcome to the world of jazz and good luck.

Look up Paula Gardiner on the net. She has some great cds out there (a recent trio recording with Lee Goodall and Mark O'Connor is really special) and she can't be more than six stone soaking wet. Also Melissa Slocum with Ralph Peterson's Fo'tet; she's another great bass player. And, of course, Esperanza Spalding, who is the new kid on the block (not heard her yet, myself).

Good luck.

[quote name='BassQueen' post='373243' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:58 PM']Hi all,

New to this forum. I played my first double bass as a young girl aged 14-15 years old whilst at school, as it was the only instrument left. Afetr switching to electric, for some years now I have always lusted after a double bass, but lack of funds etc.. could flog my pre 80's stingray but hey would you??
I won a bass on ebay paid £427 for it. Its about 10 years old comes from romania somewhere and was sold to me by the guy who use to play it in various jazz bands, so it has a great tone and is set up nicely. So, i consider myself very fortunate indeed. As I vaguely remember what I was taught back in the murky depths of time I bought a teaching dvd to re-aquaint myself with what seems to be like an old dear friend, and now I'm loving it.
I'm building it up day by day as I forgot the stamina and strength required to play, compared to leccies!! (unless its just me getting older!!)
So, onwards and upwards ! Point being, I did not have to pay a fortune to play around with a double bass and this suits my needs for now. I can always upgrade if I outgrow and if i get some money!!

Bassqueen. :wub:[/quote]

Can you play 'Moondance' bu Van Morrison yet?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!!! :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='374161' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:52 PM']Look up Paula Gardiner on the net. She has some great cds out there (a recent trio recording with Lee Goodall and Mark O'Connor is really special) and she can't be more than six stone soaking wet. Also Melissa Slocum with Ralph Peterson's Fo'tet; she's another great bass player. And, of course, Esperanza Spalding, who is the new kid on the block (not heard her yet, myself).

Good luck.[/quote]

And also Erica Lyons(GB). You can see her on UTube doing a masterclass with Ray Brown. A guy who plays piano with me did a gig with her recently and was very impressed.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the double bass, Bass Queen. All we now need is a Bass King and Bass Jack and we've got a good hand!

That sounds like quite a good bass you have. Not just set up well but played in too. I find even when I play mine each week it takes about half an hour before I can say I'm happy with the sound from the instrument. There is just so much wood to get moving. I believe some luthiers actually place new fiddles on their hi-fi speakers to help 'play them in'. Good luck and you'll never be short of work with a DB.

Thanks for that. Thank you all for the welcome and encouraging comments.
I have regular treatment from a colleague ( we practice a form of soft tissue work called The Bowen technique and I treat quite a few musos for repetitive strain etc. Much less physical than physiotherapy, very subtle but it produces great results. Its amazing how we take muscles etc forgranted sometimes and the strains that we can get all too easily, especially with these lovely instruments that we play.
I find 20 minutes a day is all I can manage at present before my hands start to protest, but its amazing how much I have achieved in a week.
I do consider myself very fortunate indeed that such a good instrument came to me for next to nothing. I did research before and envisaged paying a lot of money, so i am very happy.

regards

Bassqueen :wub:

[quote name='BeLow' post='374375' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:54 PM']5 years ago I shattered my left wrist (broken in 4 places) as well as my right collarbone.

I remember talking to the surgeon as I went under anaesthetic an him saying that I might not regain full mobility of my wrist. I was pretty distressed as I am a canoeist as well as bass player. At the time I was not playing much but when they took the pins out I was determined to get back to playing.

After a few sessions the physio said he couldn't do anymore for me, I could not understand what he meant as I thought I wasn't doing too badly. At this point he explained he couldn't do anymore as I already had better articualtion in my wrist than he had in his. I was very lucky - stick with - hope you get there, and have fun doing it.[/quote]