Why become a member? ×

BIG LEFTY MARKET THREAD

josh3184

[quote name='josh3184' post='443749' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:29 PM']dont do it biggsy! the recession hits the lefties the hardest :)

Can't actually justify that statement, but I know its true[/quote]

I'm with you - it's making an already small market even smaller.

I've not even got to play it in anger yet, but I know long term it's too expensive for me to be a keeper with weddings and whatnot on the horizon. So, best put it up sooner rather than later with the economy how it is.

[quote name='Biggsy' post='443513' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:25 AM']Quick update for me as well - My Ric 4003 is available to buy at £1400 (without a setup) as of now. If anyone's interested PM me before I change my mind!![/quote]
How bout trading it for my Alembic? They r about the same value and it s nice for a change before eventually selling it agzin

To be honest I'm in the same boat as most of us in that I can't really afford much else without selling something.
I'm seriously considering selling my Shuker 5 headless just to cover the cost of other things I want to do.
Really into my Jazz Deluxe at the moment and would love to get something similar in a 5 string version but would probably have to go custom (Mr Shuker again for sure). Can't do that kind of money at the moment without knowing I have the cash.

[quote name='whynot' post='443931' date='Mar 24 2009, 05:16 PM']To be honest I'm in the same boat as most of us in that I can't really afford much else without selling something.
I'm seriously considering selling my Shuker 5 headless just to cover the cost of other things I want to do.
Really into my Jazz Deluxe at the moment and would love to get something similar in a 5 string version but would probably have to go custom (Mr Shuker again for sure). Can't do that kind of money at the moment without knowing I have the cash.[/quote]
I m really into my jazz deluxe too!!! :)
Great bass..... Check on the Sandbergs , you might find her big sister there , for not so much money

[quote name='lefthandedfrog' post='443945' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:34 PM']I m really into my jazz deluxe too!!! :)
Great bass..... Check on the Sandbergs , you might find her big sister there , for not so much money[/quote]

I love my jazz deluxe too. Definitely in my 'best buy' category. Just got it set up a couple of weeks ago and I'm playing stuff I couldn't play before.

[quote name='lefthandedfrog' post='443928' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:14 PM']How bout trading it for my Alembic? They r about the same value and it s nice for a change before eventually selling it agzin[/quote]

Hey Sebastian, good thinking but I'm afraid the Epic isn't to my taste. To be tempted into a trade I'd ideally like a Ltd. Edition Warwick, a Wal or a pre EB MusicMan. (Like the lovely Sabre we asked about!)

[quote name='josh3184' post='445210' date='Mar 25 2009, 06:00 PM']oh yes andy, there's a thread on here somewhere :) keeping a VERY close eye on that![/quote]

Me too! Group purchase potential?! Probably the only way I'll afford it!

oh incidentally sterling is sold pending payment to a nice guy in Austria! Just after he initiated the transfer the person who I was selling it to before turned up and said he got his account frozen by the government due to a computer error so now I feel quite sorry for him. :) Got an extra 50e for it though!

[quote name='lefthandedfrog' post='443945' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:34 PM']I m really into my jazz deluxe too!!! :)
Great bass..... Check on the Sandbergs , you might find her big sister there , for not so much money[/quote]
I do like the slightly downsized body on the Deluxe. The Sandbergs are lovely basses but I think they are similar to a full size jazz body, which is not the way I want to go.
A Lakland DJ 5 Skyline is more like it but no left handers at the moment.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='445674' date='Mar 26 2009, 08:46 AM']So is the Jazz Deluxe the most popular lefty (in terms of ownership) amongst our clan?

I've got the Montego Black with rosewood. Any variations on that?[/quote]
Same, black with rosewood. To think I almost moved it on a few months back.

[quote name='whynot' post='445798' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:01 AM']Same, black with rosewood. To think I almost moved it on a few months back.[/quote]

I know the feeling.
Mine was in impulse purchase from ebay.com when the £ was strong. Think I paid about £400 for it !!
Can't live without it these days.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='446092' date='Mar 26 2009, 03:29 PM']I know the feeling.
Mine was in impulse purchase from ebay.com when the £ was strong. Think I paid about £400 for it !!
Can't live without it these days.[/quote]
Great buy for £400. Mine was £600 here in the UK but came with original case etc and hardly played, so was happy with that.
Out of interest what strings are you using on the Jazz ? I've been using Stainless Steel Elites r/wound packs but not that sure I'm gtting the best out of it with these. So expensive experimenting with strings these days.

[quote name='whynot' post='446542' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:49 PM']Great buy for £400. Mine was £600 here in the UK but came with original case etc and hardly played, so was happy with that.
Out of interest what strings are you using on the Jazz ? I've been using Stainless Steel Elites r/wound packs but not that sure I'm gtting the best out of it with these. So expensive experimenting with strings these days.[/quote]

Thats a great price too!
I've currently got it strung with Ernie Ball Slinky stainless steels (45-100?). I've been a big fan of there's for a while now. I always used Elite's, but when I got my Stingray it came with Ernie Ball's (funnily enough) and I've stuck with them since.
I buy my strings off of fleabay from a company in the states. I'll try and find the name of it, but it worked out at £10 a pack including shipping. FX rate is shagged now so it'll be more, but its still substantially cheaper than high street (sadly).

One question about your Jazz Deluxe... my mid control seems outrageously powerful, especially when compared to the treble (which isn't as 'bitey' as my Stingray's control) - any observations on that?

[quote name='coasterbass' post='446889' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:44 AM']Thats a great price too!
I've currently got it strung with Ernie Ball Slinky stainless steels (45-100?). I've been a big fan of there's for a while now. I always used Elite's, but when I got my Stingray it came with Ernie Ball's (funnily enough) and I've stuck with them since.
I buy my strings off of fleabay from a company in the states. I'll try and find the name of it, but it worked out at £10 a pack including shipping. FX rate is shagged now so it'll be more, but its still substantially cheaper than high street (sadly).

One question about your Jazz Deluxe... my mid control seems outrageously powerful, especially when compared to the treble (which isn't as 'bitey' as my Stingray's control) - any observations on that?[/quote]
I agree about the mids control... very powerfull. Very usefull when you need extra power in a tune and for fingerstyle , but not so nice when it comes to slapping , and then you lose a lot of power if you turn it down. Treble and bass are not so powerfull , and maybe that should be more balanced. That said , i barely use the active electronics , beside a bit of mid to boost sometimes but more the pick up mix and i love my jbass deluxe very much!!!
String wise , I have DR low riders on at the moment and i like them. But i ll go back to the stock strings wich are fender , i think the bass was even more perfect with those on , when i bought it