Why become a member? ×

4 strings sound better than 5 string basses. Discuss.

EBS_freak

[quote name='budget bassist' post='373178' date='Jan 7 2009, 03:59 PM']When i played the same notes on the E and B strings on my 5 string, it always sounded muddier on the B, but that's probably because my 5 string was crap![/quote]

Possibly partly true, definitely not wholly. Play the same notes on the A and E strings on a 4 and it will sound thicker, muddier and boomier on the bigger string. Same with D and A or G and D. Just because you have another string it doesn't mean you should always use it for those notes - just use it when those notes sound better on it than on any other string.

Alex

[quote name='endorka' post='372727' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:02 AM']According to the "Setup And Repair of the Double Bass for Optimum Sound: A Manual for Players, Makers, And Repairers" by Chuck Traeger, the quality of sound of a double bass is adversely affected by the move to 5 strings. If I remember correctly, one factor in this is something to do with the increased tension and additional neck width required for the extra string making the instrument less free to vibrate, and consequently the sound is not as good.[/quote]

The double bass is a rather different kettle of fish because a big part of the sound is how the strings transfer their vibrations through the bridge and into the top. To a degree this is analogous to the voice coil of a loudspeaker transferring its vibrations into the cone. Add another string and whilst that string is static you are doing the equivalent of increasing the stiffness of the speaker suspension and this lowering of compliance will raise the resonant frequencies of the top and reduce the Q, giving less weight and depth to the bottom. Or to put it more simply, the added string tension and thus pressure on the bridge makes it harder for the top and thus the instrument to vibrate, which inevitably changes the tone.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='373280' date='Jan 7 2009, 05:34 PM']The double bass is a rather different kettle of fish because a big part of the sound is how the strings transfer their vibrations through the bridge and into the top. To a degree this is analogous to the voice coil of a loudspeaker transferring its vibrations into the cone. Add another string and whilst that string is static you are doing the equivalent of increasing the stiffness of the speaker suspension and this lowering of compliance will raise the resonant frequencies of the top and reduce the Q, giving less weight and depth to the bottom. Or to put it more simply, the added string tension and thus pressure on the bridge makes it harder for the top and thus the instrument to vibrate, which inevitably changes the tone.

Alex[/quote]

In laymans terms,a Bass guitar ISNT made to resonate to the levels of an acoustic instrument,feedback city if it did.....SO to compare one to the other is useless.

Back on topic,anyone who cant play a 5 is a spazz....*

*not on topic,or even believable,or a genuine held belief,but considering Ive garnered an undeserved reputation for being a stirrer it seems fittingly juvenile.

[quote name='Jase' post='373358' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:47 PM']All this super low frequency.....it's for whales and things, why any bass player would want to bury themselves further into the lower register is beyond me.[/quote]

Some players prefer to have a much more prominent sonic footprint, and unfortunatley the 4 string can only offer so much. Is it such a crime to want more than 4 strings?

[quote name='Jase' post='373358' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:47 PM']All this super low frequency.....it's for whales and things, why any bass player would want to bury themselves further into the lower register is beyond me.[/quote]

Since when did the fundamentals of the additional low B string notes become 'super low'? And more importantly the 2nd harmonics of these notes land in a very useful sonic spot.

In the months I've been playing a five I've noticed that the extra lower range allows you to step back and drive a groove in an almost subliminal way. But if you don't want that extra range then I've no problem with that, I only decided to go to a five when designing my ideal custom instrument but I was perfectly happy and effective on my previous four string bass.

The ability of humans to build defensive cliques is quite unparalleled...

Alex

[quote name='Josh' post='373366' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:52 PM']Some players prefer to have a much more prominent sonic footprint, and unfortunatley the 4 string can only offer so much. Is it such a crime to want more than 4 strings?[/quote]

Certainly not a crime Josh, ERB's are great...I can't cope with them personally :)