Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB3

obbm

[quote name='paul, the' post='38447' date='Jul 29 2007, 12:57 PM']Has anyone compared them to a vintage Gibson?
Or is it just that some people don't like the muddy tone?
What would you do it with it ('project') if you were to acquire one obbm?
paul?[/quote]

Maybe fit a Dark Star, maybe use it. We're a 60s/70s covers band so it fits, muddy tone and all. I once had an EB0 which was nice to play as I have smallish hands. At the sort of price they are going for it would make an alternative bit of fun to Squier Vintage modified, and it's not a Fender.

[quote name='obbm' post='38453' date='Jul 29 2007, 01:03 PM']Maybe fit a Dark Star, maybe use it. We're a 60s/70s covers band so it fits, muddy tone and all. I once had an EB0 which was nice to play as I have smallish hands. At the sort of price they are going for it would make an alternative bit of fun to Squier Vintage modified, and it's not a Fender.[/quote]

Non too fond of the Darkstar tone personally, although they look cool. If you have a look on Ebay be sure to use a typo site as it seems everyone trips over when spelling epihone, regardless of how well inlaid the headstock is :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='38459' date='Jul 29 2007, 01:13 PM']Non too fond of the Darkstar tone personally, although they look cool. If you have a look on Ebay be sure to use a typo site as it seems everyone trips over when spelling epihone, regardless of how well inlaid the headstock is :)[/quote]

even you!

I've played an EB3 cherry at a friend's shop... It was okay, if unremarkable. The thing you have to remember is that you're never going to get a modern bass sound of any kind from a bass that has a pickup right at the base of the neck.

I like the vintage sound and decided to go the whole hog this last week. I bought a Hofner Contemporary violin bass in black with white piping. It's utterly lovely & very easy to play, with a very smooth bottm end resonance much like my Triumph upright - Short scale too, for those of you who complain of small hands :) Much the best buy if you want a vintage sound. (I'm getting them in for £320 a time!) Try one, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='38624' date='Jul 29 2007, 09:02 PM']There were some special Epiphone EB basses made with set necks rather than bolt on (Elite?) The general concensous is that they are much better instruments.[/quote]

No, all Epi EB-3s have set neck, the EB-0 is bolt.