Why become a member? ×

Warning! Totally Outrageous and Idle Request!

AM1

[quote name='Sean' post='364144' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:23 PM']Chill out and enjoy the forum - no one's here to wind you up or be rude, most of the regulars and longer serving BCers are very helpful and by the same chalk very keen to understand where exactly people are coming from and what their angle is so we can give the best advice.[/quote]

If you look at the opening gambit of the thread, I asked for sources of written music. I did not ask for a big debate on MY chosen learning methodology. You elected to commence a semantic debate over my learning style.

[quote name='Sean' post='364144' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:23 PM']Maybe I'll wind my neck in and keep any advice to myself in future if it's going to get a spoilt brat response.[/quote]

Perhaps that's a good idea if you are unable to answer the actual question asked. I respectfully remind you that you freely elected to ignore my request for sources of written music and offered YOUR (unsolicited) advice on my learning style. You appear to have a propensity for answering a different question to that which was actually asked.

How I decide to learn is my choice and if I want perspectives on that, I will ask specifically.

[quote name='Sean' post='364144' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:23 PM']Remember that a lot is "lost in translation" in posts and people sometimes seek clarification.[/quote]

I refer you respectfully to your own advice.

Best regards

AM

Hi AM you say that when you were younger you use to go to the library for sheet music, do you read music?

If you can then you should be able to get a good idea of the basslines you are after by listening back to the tracks then writing out chord charts for each song, once you have the key of each song and the chord progressions, writing the bassline should be straight forward, that and a good bit of using your ear to check.

Tab on the internet is notoriously bad and offers little in the way of being able to play a bassline correctly.

Good luck.

Edited by steve-soar

I think the point is that she's lazy, therefore wants something already written down.

While it's true that they're rarely ever 100% correct they can still provide most of a song. IF there's a bit wrong here and there it's not too hard to make the adjustment.

Edited by TheDarkReaver

[quote name='steve-soar' post='364179' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:31 PM']Hi AM you say that when you were younger you use to go to the library for sheet music, do you read music?

If you can then you should be able to get a good idea of the basslines you are after by listening back to the tracks then writing out chord charts for each song, once you have the key of each song and the chord progressions, writing the bassline should be straight forward, that and a good bit of using your ear to check.

Tab on the internet is notoriously bad and offers little in the way of being able to play a bassline correctly.

Good luck.[/quote]

Hiya Steve

Thanks for the constructive advice.

I have noticed that internet tab isn't particularly optimal!

Good advice on working out chords, I am still learning the fretboard, so where tab does come in useful is actually working out optimal positions to play sequences of notes....for instance when I hear a slide in the music or a passage of notes, I can play it by ear quite quickly, but the tabs that show the strings and fret positions are useful sometimes.

Notation however along with tab is a great combination as then you have both notes and rhythm.

The danger for me is that my ear playing is developed enough that I could easily find myself in a position when I can learn/improvise but not even know what notes I am playing or in what key on the bass. Would rather avoid this as it can get messy later on.

Many thanks

AM

Yikes.
Easy everyone, i can read music in all FOUR clefs, but i still need help sometimes. We can all work out the basics of the music if we stick to R5R5 and watch the changes. I think that someimes we all want to see if those fun fills and classic bits are written down . When you start playing you always want to reproduce a song as it is played by the original bass player until we are good/competent enough to play our own.

AM reads music well enough, but it was a request for help, not a request for critique.

We all take time to get used to this forum. I did, as im sure you all did.

my 2p worth.

Matt

:)

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='364183' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:37 PM']I think the point is that she's lazy, therefore wants something already written down.

While it's true that they're rarely ever 100% correct they can still provide most of a song. IF there's a bit wrong here and there it's not too hard to make the adjustment.[/quote]

Haha, yes the title was humorous, I really just wanted to use the time for practice, not trawling around the net!

Will reply to your PM in a bit.

[quote name='AM1' post='364160' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:51 PM']Furthermore, I do not agree with transcribing other people's music then providing it free, just the same as I do not agree with stealing music by MP3 download. Both of these practices deprive the original music creator of their rightful income.[/quote]

But you'd like people to provide you with tab free because you're too "lazy" (your own words) to go look for it yaself? Go figure the logic in that.

This is not the first time you've asked for advice or assistance on this forum then shouted at people when they didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. People are free to offer a view. And responses to a post may include other observations - we're not here just to service your requirements and then tiptoe gently away.

Presumably someone once told you that your forthrightness was refreshing. Well, yes, up to the point that it becomes charmless arrogance.

Others have also been polite enough not to mention that your pronouncements on reading, ear, tab and notation are as worthlessly subjective as your views on copyright theft are idly self-contradictory and regurgative.

By your own admission, you're still learning. Before you move on to songs and bass playing, a first priority would be to learn simple politeness towards people offering to help you [i]at your request[/i].

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364197' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:48 PM']But you'd like people to provide you with tab free because you're too "lazy" (your own words) to go look for it yaself? Go figure the logic in that.[/quote]

Nope - happy to pay if decent sources are recommended. At no point did I ask for FREE music.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364197' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:48 PM']This is not the first time you've asked for advice or assistance on this forum then shouted at people when they didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. People are free to offer a view. And responses to a post may include other observations - we're not here just to service your requirements and then tiptoe gently away.[/quote]

It was a simple question with simple answers. Shouting...haha...it's the internet, not Dallas.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364197' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:48 PM']Presumably someone once told you that your forthrightness was refreshing. Well, yes, up to the point that it becomes charmless arrogance.[/quote]

Thank you for that observation. The minute you become personal, it means you have nothing constructive to offer and have lost any debate. To insult another is a failure to rebut the truth.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364197' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:48 PM']Others have also been polite enough not to mention....are as worthlessly subjective as your views on copyright theft are idly self-contradictory and regurgative.[/quote]

This is not correct and is your assumption. At no point did I ask for FREE tab.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364197' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:48 PM']By your own admission, you're still learning. Before you move on to songs and bass playing, a first priority would be to learn simple politeness towards people offering to help you [i]at your request[/i].[/quote]

I respectfully suggest the same as opposed to your self-fulfilling prophecy of making random assumptions.

Did you have a written music source you wanted to offer?

Edited by AM1

AM, you have exactly the kind of attitude and style that drives people away from this forum. We've lost some really useful people who have got fed up with ignorant full-of-attitude, hate-filled types. Why don't you take your ungrateful attitude elsewhere and leave the forum for us that find it a useful and informative community?

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

There's nothing personal about this, because I don't know you personally. And I don't need to make assumptions when I can see your words on the page.

I also note your sarcastic use of the word 'respectful'. That's probably what's missing from your flamey responses to other people.

As regards finding a tab source, are you too "lazy" to google it or would you like someone here to do that for you as well?

FWIW, ignoring your posts from now on as they are, IMO, value-free.

Hang on Sean, that might not help the situation. if the thread gets to you, perhaps not reading may help calm things down,or choosing not to get involved may be the answer.
You cannot blame one single person for others who have chosen to leave.

Cheers

Matt

On this occasion, given the necessity for learning these songs very quickly, my suggestion might not help but I would thoroughly recommend getting hold of a Tascam Bass Trainer - They are fantastic for learning those difficult passages by slowing down and/or looping.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='364226' date='Dec 27 2008, 03:30 PM']On this occasion, given the necessity for learning these songs very quickly, my suggestion might not help but I would thoroughly recommend getting hold of a Tascam Bass Trainer - They are fantastic for learning those difficult passages by slowing down and/or looping.[/quote]

Hi

Yes, the Tascam is fantastic, I bought Steve's just before Christmas, who very kindly got it in the same day post so I could take it away with me for the hols.

That reminds me, I need to go and make a feedback thread!

Tascam has some excellent functionality, it is dangerous though, since I got it, I have gone on a frenzy of copying CD tracks over and instead of proper structured practice, my free time is vanishing into a bermuda triangle of playing along with countless songs. In fact that is what I have been doing all day so far instead of the proper practice tasks I should be doing!

The Tascam is truly a device of deep joy :) but I am cursing it already for all the lost time! So are the two friends who I have blown out meeting :huh:

I'm already in the danger zone of playing along with tunes on Tascam and having no idea what notes I'm playing or in what key!

Cheers
AM

Edited by AM1

Although deviating from the initial discussion, that's an interesting argument.

Although learning songs would only be part of what should be practiced in a structured study time, can it really be said that learning a song by ear means there is less of a conscious awareness of what key or notes and intervals are being played?

I personally disagree and if I learn a song without written notation, I can still hear the root of each chord. Using my own acquired theory, I can still hear what scales apply and why certain note choices work?

Perhaps something for another thread. :)

Edited by Rowbee

[quote name='Rowbee' post='364273' date='Dec 27 2008, 04:42 PM']Although deviating from the initial discussion, that's an interesting argument.

Although learning songs would only be part of what should be practiced in a structured study time, can it really be said that learning a song by ear means there is less of a conscious awareness of what key or notes and intervals are being played?

I personally disagree and if I learn a song without written notation, I can still hear the root of each chord. Using my own acquired theory, I can still hear what scales apply and why certain note choices work?

Perhaps something for another thread. :)[/quote]

Hello again :huh:

I'm still learning the fretboard and only picked up the bass a few weeks ago. So, I am playing by ear and pretty much clueless as to the notes/key most of the time.

Same as you, I can still hear what notes work etc but no idea what they are unless I work it out.

Warning! Totally Outrageous and Idle Request!, Lazy lazy lazy lazy...:-)

Not sure that helped your yourself at all.
Reading this post, makes me think you could
Do with some basic theory under your belt.
Where the notes lay, scales etc.
Also as you said yourself...
Wasteing time learning/going over songs on a Tascam.
Not sure that is wasteing time..
What better source of ear training than that?
There is no easy way...
Just hard work and a good [b]attitude[/b].
Unless i have missed something. :)

Garry

[quote name='AM1' post='364277' date='Dec 27 2008, 04:54 PM']Hello again :)

I'm still learning the fretboard and only picked up the bass a few weeks ago. So, I am playing by ear and pretty much clueless as to the notes/key most of the time.

Same as you, I can still hear what notes work etc but no idea what they are unless I work it out.[/quote]

Apologies, I must have missed that. :huh:

The irony that Budget Bassist refers to in his first paragraph wasn't lost on me either but perhaps he could've been slightly less inflamatory.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364208' date='Dec 27 2008, 03:07 PM']Truth hurts, doesn't it?[/quote]

YOUR truth is somewhat different to my truth.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364208' date='Dec 27 2008, 03:07 PM']There's nothing personal about this, because I don't know you personally. And I don't need to make assumptions when I can see your words on the page.[/quote]

Yet you chose to make a determination, with specificity to my character. To insult me is a compliment as it means you cannot rebut the truth.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364208' date='Dec 27 2008, 03:07 PM']I also note your sarcastic use of the word 'respectful'. That's probably what's missing from your flamey responses to other people.[/quote]

It was polite, more assumptions. As to "flames" - it was your good self whom elucidated your opinions about my personal character, you will note that I refrain from such behaviour.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364208' date='Dec 27 2008, 03:07 PM']FWIW, ignoring your posts from now on as they are, IMO, value-free.[/quote]

That is entirely your prerogative.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='364325' date='Dec 27 2008, 05:58 PM']The irony that Budget Bassist refers to in his first paragraph wasn't lost on me either but perhaps he could've been slightly less inflamatory.[/quote]
I couldn't care less, she's been rude (totally unprovoked) to members in a number of different threads and i'm getting a bit tired of it.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='364325' date='Dec 27 2008, 05:58 PM']Apologies, I must have missed that. :)

The irony that Budget Bassist refers to in his first paragraph wasn't lost on me either but perhaps he could've been slightly less inflamatory.[/quote]

Puts it into a highly amusing context.

Since I realised I have been playing music (in other guises) longer than the young Budget Bassist has been alive, I elected to give his inflammatory comments the attention they deserved.

:huh:

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364331' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:04 PM']I couldn't care less, she's been rude (totally unprovoked) to members in a number of different threads and i'm getting a bit tired of it.[/quote]

Pot, kettle, black, my dear boy.

:)