Why become a member? ×

Hello from Cwmbran South Wales

gwillis

[quote name='LDNgrl' post='364276' date='Dec 27 2008, 04:51 PM']Hiya! I too am just starting to learn bass from scratch, so it looks like we're int he same boat. I only joined two days ago but welcome along, I have had a very warm welcome.[/quote]

thanks guys, just bought the dummies guide to learning the bass............ god help me

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='364507' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:50 PM']I spent the first 23 years of my life in Cwmbran (Llanyravon) from 1963 - 1987. Great jazz scene (not) :) !![/quote]

Llanyravon! just up the road from me. Your right about the jazz scene or any music scene though

[quote name='Nito' post='365733' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:20 PM']Ho ho hoy, hello from Newport mate.
My missus sister lives in Cwmbran, Croesyciliog( If I got that right)
@ Jase, I pass my driving test in Cwmbran too, bloody nightmare all them speed ramps.[/quote]

When I did it, the roundabouts were the main bug!!! Don't think they had speed bumps then :) A while ago now :huh:

Welcome to basschat. Spent a few months recording our album at Loco studios which is between Caerleon and Usk. Used to take day trips out to Cwmbrian to go CD shopping in a little second hand CD shop. No idea if its still there. Used to spend most nights in the White Hart Pub in Llangybi having dinner. Loved the area and miss it lots. Keep meaning to pop back someday.

[quote name='Linus27' post='368965' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:39 PM']Welcome to basschat. Spent a few months recording our album at Loco studios which is between Caerleon and Usk. Used to take day trips out to Cwmbrian to go CD shopping in a little second hand CD shop. No idea if its still there. Used to spend most nights in the White Hart Pub in Llangybi having dinner. Loved the area and miss it lots. Keep meaning to pop back someday.[/quote]

Hi, How long ago was that. It sounds like my mates shop that sadly closed some years ago (applestump records).

[quote name='gwillis' post='369205' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:24 PM']Hi, How long ago was that. It sounds like my mates shop that sadly closed some years ago (applestump records).[/quote]

Around 1999 so a while back. The shop was pretty much in the centre, near the main square. It might had been on one of the upstairs bit. If I remember correctly, if you walk through the alley bit with WH Smiths on your right and Dixons on the corner on your left and you head towards the main square bit which is not covered. I think the shop was over on the left up the steps. This is about 10 years ago so its a bit blurry. I remember a really big MVC store there also.

[quote name='Linus27' post='369209' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:30 PM']Around 1999 so a while back. The shop was pretty much in the centre, near the main square. It might had been on one of the upstairs bit. If I remember correctly, if you walk through the alley bit with WH Smiths on your right and Dixons on the corner on your left and you head towards the main square bit which is not covered. I think the shop was over on the left up the steps. This is about 10 years ago so its a bit blurry. I remember a really big MVC store there also.[/quote]

Yep that was Richies shop, it use to be a great meeting place and he stocked some cracking tunes along with sponsering many a DJ and band. Sadly the shop although veery proftitable fell foul of the landlords (pearl assurance) who hiked the rates so high he couldnt afford it .

Happy memories though

[quote name='gwillis' post='369446' date='Jan 3 2009, 06:05 PM']Yep that was Richies shop, it use to be a great meeting place and he stocked some cracking tunes along with sponsering many a DJ and band. Sadly the shop although veery proftitable fell foul of the landlords (pearl assurance) who hiked the rates so high he couldnt afford it .

Happy memories though[/quote]

Thats a shame. I bought some gems in that shop. Prices were brilliant also.