Why become a member? ×

Had to play without an amp...

Lozz196

21 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Again, never suggested that you shouldn't be able to hear yourself at all, simply that as long as you can hear enough to be able to stay in tune and play with the rest of the band, the actual quality of the on stage sound doesn't matter

Sorry, you'll have to excuse my own bad experiences clouding my interpretation of your original comment! I'd agree with you there - as long as I can hear the notes I'm playing, I can live with a less-than-wonderful stage sound.

I think I've just done too many straight-to-PA gigs where I've barely been able to hear a single note - which was particularly challenging on the ones where I was playing fretless!

My on stage sound (always use a monitor, no amp behind me) is always very light on bass frequencies, if it means anything my controls on the monitor are set, bass 9 o'clock, mid 1 o'clock and treble 12 o'clock. The drummer's monitor is set the same. I can turn the volume up louder without causing problems front of house by using these settings as there's little low end booming around to upset the FOH mix. It's a very clear sound and far less tiring than a wall of noise behind me. Any missing bass frequencies in my monitor is supplied by the FOH subs anyway. 

Edited by Maude

15 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Sorry, you'll have to excuse my own bad experiences clouding my interpretation of your original comment! I'd agree with you there - as long as I can hear the notes I'm playing, I can live with a less-than-wonderful stage sound.

I think I've just done too many straight-to-PA gigs where I've barely been able to hear a single note - which was particularly challenging on the ones where I was playing fretless!

fair enough - I can only think of one where I've struggled to hear any bass at all, and even then I could hear just enough for staying in tune.  less of an issue with a fretted bass and a tuner pedal than with a fretless, and I'd probably have kicked up more of a fuss if I'd been in your shoes

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

And I fundamentally disagree with the point you made that the performance will suffer if you can't hear yourself with your ideal sound on stage.  You are somewhat misquoting me by suggesting that I said at any point that a good on stage sound will prevent there being a good FOH sound - I never said that.  What I thought I was very clear about was that I personally don't see that having a bad on stage sound affects my performance

Again, never suggested that you shouldn't be able to hear yourself at all, simply that as long as you can hear enough to be able to stay in tune and play with the rest of the band, the actual quality of the on stage sound doesn't matter

I didn't mean to imply that a good onstage sound will adversely affect the FOH - what I was trying to say was that you can have a great onstage sound and make the gig/entertaining the crowd good too I.e doesn't need to be just one or the other. It works for me if the quality of the onstage sound is good/what I'm used to > makes me play better > will probably go to making the performance of the band better > improve the audience's enjoyment etc. Apologies if it read otherwise. 🙂