Why become a member? ×

Recording with orange terror bass 500

thundachopz

Your amp should have a DI out, just plug that into the Mic input of your interface.

However if it’s an old Tiny Terror, their DI’s were known to be unusably hot (loud), if it’s one of the newer versions from the relaunch, should be fine. 

If it’s an older model, sack it off in the studio and record direct, just invest a few quid in a decent amp sim, not a freebie. No-one wants to admit they can’t tell the difference ;) 

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Your amp should have a DI out, just plug that into the Mic input of your interface.

However if it’s an old Tiny Terror, their DI’s were known to be unusably hot (loud), if it’s one of the newer versions from the relaunch, should be fine. 

As Si said, the newer model has a D.I. that is fixed but the older model's D.I. could be easily fixed with a cheap attenuator. There was a thread on here a few years back on them.

As much as I love my Orange rig, I usually just record through a Sansamp VT pedal but having re-read the original post, that's not the vibe you are looking for. 

As above mentioned, plus the best ever result I had was to record DI and mic. I added a tiny bit of everdrive to DI channel. Then I mixed both into one.

There are endless possibilities, remember the bass sound you hear on it's own may not sound the same in the mix. I'd record a dry mix as you can post process the bass line to suit your needs.

I found that adjusting the bass amp to get your desired sound from the speaker is more satisfying than going DI. It's also more time consuming but once I get the desired sound from the speaker it takes a little eq and compression to get it sit right in the mix.

I just always go direct, if you have a decent preamp/interface, in my humble opinion everything else can be done in the box.
The only time I'd perhaps caveat that is if you're relying on overdrive from your amp specifically.

Si