thundachopz

Recording with orange terror bass 500

Hey 

I am looking to record my Orange terror bass 500 via my audio interface...

I usally use plug ins but its the true amp tone iam looking for! 

I have a basic mixing desk and audio interface

Any advice would be apreciated!

Cheerz

Have you considered recording you bass sound with a mic? I used sm57 to record my bass combo amp.With a little tweek I managed to get the desired sound.

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

Your amp should have a DI out, just plug that into the Mic input of your interface.

However if it’s an old Tiny Terror, their DI’s were known to be unusably hot (loud), if it’s one of the newer versions from the relaunch, should be fine. 

If it’s an older model, sack it off in the studio and record direct, just invest a few quid in a decent amp sim, not a freebie. No-one wants to admit they can’t tell the difference ;) 

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Your amp should have a DI out, just plug that into the Mic input of your interface.

However if it’s an old Tiny Terror, their DI’s were known to be unusably hot (loud), if it’s one of the newer versions from the relaunch, should be fine. 

As Si said, the newer model has a D.I. that is fixed but the older model's D.I. could be easily fixed with a cheap attenuator. There was a thread on here a few years back on them.

As much as I love my Orange rig, I usually just record through a Sansamp VT pedal but having re-read the original post, that's not the vibe you are looking for. 

As above mentioned, plus the best ever result I had was to record DI and mic. I added a tiny bit of everdrive to DI channel. Then I mixed both into one.

There are endless possibilities, remember the bass sound you hear on it's own may not sound the same in the mix. I'd record a dry mix as you can post process the bass line to suit your needs.

I found that adjusting the bass amp to get your desired sound from the speaker is more satisfying than going DI. It's also more time consuming but once I get the desired sound from the speaker it takes a little eq and compression to get it sit right in the mix.

I just always go direct, if you have a decent preamp/interface, in my humble opinion everything else can be done in the box.
The only time I'd perhaps caveat that is if you're relying on overdrive from your amp specifically.

Si

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SumOne
      SOLD

OmniCabSim Deluxe: £160
      Tweakable cabinet simulator and DI (with aux in, headphone out with separate volume control, balanced XLR, ground lift, and 1/4 'through' and 'output'). Perfect working order, very good condition, boxed. RRP £259, and being from Chile with only one UK distributor that is out of stock these aren't the easiest things to get hold of. Postage via special delivery £7, or collection from Twickenham. My seller feedback is here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/446834-feedback-for-sumone/ Will consider a trade/part exchange for an amp head,  ideally >300w with FX loop, aux in, headphone out, XLR out. Something like the Ashdown RM 300 or 500.

Info from: https://www.dsmnoisemaker.com/omnicabsim-deluxe/yh0m9
      A cabinet simulator is a device designed to emulate the frequency response of a speaker system. Guitar and bass speaker systems have a very pronounced filtering effect, rolling off the low and high frequencies very sharply due to their physical and electrical properties. Things like cone size, material, impedance, enclosure size and type, even distance from a wall, affect these filters very noticeably.
      Features:
      The Philosophy behind the design is to allow the user to CREATE their own cabinet response settings, moving away from the typical preset cabinet simulators in the market. This approach let the musician to define his own sound and getting an accurate reproduction of it when recording and playing live gigs, without depending on mic placement, amplifier or cabinet availability..Just dial in your favorite tone, tune your cabinet response and go straight to the PA or recording gear!!
      Mic and Line output. Compensate levels with the gain control. Tunable high frequency response emulates the steep low pass filter that different speakers produce. Tunable Low frequency response that controls the low end roll off typical of speaker of various sizes. Tunable low frequency resonance lets you dial the resonance of the low end roll off point, reproducing the effect of closed or open back cabinets, and anything in between. Mid control lets you dial “modern” or “vintage” responses. Punch control boosts the 800 Hz band, that lets you cut through the mix with warmth.  

• By SumOne
      DSM & Humboldt Simplifier Bass Station. £220.

Mint condition, only used at home since purchased from Andertons for £299 in mid-December (one of the newest batch). It works perfectly and sounds great but I have changed my setup so it's no longer needed. Not really anything else out there with all these features, and it's all in the size of a small Boss pedal!
      DI: 1/4" Jack in: passive/active input switch 1/4" Jack out: output/thru output switch XLR DI out XLR DI parallel out Ground lift switch Phase invert switch Aux in Headphone out (with volume control)  Preamp: EQ: Three-band +/- 15dB  EQ with 3x Mid Frequency select SVT type drive Preamp FX loop Parallel FX loop Parallel LPF 100Hz/500Hz  Parallel/Preamp blend Cab sim:  3x cab size   3x colour cabs Mic position Resonance https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitar-pedals/bass-overdrive-pedals/dsm-and-humboldt-simplifier-amp-bass-station-preamp-and-cab-sim-analogue-pedal

https://www.simplifieramp.com/bass-station

My selling feedback is here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/446834-feedback-for-sumone/

• By d_g
      I'm looking to move on my Sansamp BD Deluxe Programmable DI - great sound, I just don't need all the programmable functions. Never gigged and in pretty much as new condition.
      Would consider trades with cash either way for a Sansamp BDDI V2, or some of the similar Darkglass Pedals.
      £160 posted in the UK
      Any questions, give me a shout
      Thanks
      Dan

added photos

• By oldslapper
      Clearing out studio. Might consider trade/cash dea,l try me. (Acoustic guitars, digital multitracks)
      Tascam MSR 16 R2R Tape + remote (£499 including both unused tapes, patch bays & rack units)
      Seck 1882 mkii Analogue desk + PSU (£100)
      2 unused boxed tapes
      Patch bays
      Alesis rack compressor
      ART rack verb unit 
      Boxes of Leads.
      Equipment in my studio in Exmoor, so collection from there, but I could collect & bring to Bath/Bristol.

• By Paul C
      Tech21 VT DI for sale.
      As new condition and includes all original packaging, instructions etc. Even still got the sticker for what it's worth. Velcro on the back.
      Socially distanced collection possible. Posted in the UK fine. An extra fiver should cover signed for delivery via royal mail.
      Thanks