Why become a member? ×

Mike Pope Preamp

mcgraham

Has anyone noticed that Mike Pope has released a 1U preamp? I have no idea how long this has been about but I just noticed an ad for it over on TB, thought I'd flag it up as it looked interesting. Not cheap at $1500USD, but by all accounts he makes amazing preamps.

Anyone else curious?

Mark

[url="http://www.michaelpopedesign.com"]www.michaelpopedesign.com[/url]

Sorry about that! Looked it up as an afterthought.

It just intrigues me. I'm definitely on the lookout for a good preamp, now that I've gotten to grips with my Berg. I'm not looking in that price bracket just yet, but it still intrigues me.

Thanks!

That looks pretty good, although for me I would wait to see what the dual channel is like. I also think that a lot of rack mounted pre-amps miss a trick by not providing either a cross-over for bi-amping or isolated dual line-outs for those who run them into stereo power amps.

I'm sure it's excellent and I highly doubt it would be a step up to a Milennia or Avalon, merely a step sideways and without the advantage of EQ that is already voiced for bassists. There's an interesting thread or two on talkbass about it which Mike has been participating in.

I can totally see why most preamps don't include a crossover - I can't think of a single current bass cab that is specifically designed to work with an active crossover - despite a system designed for biamping from the ground up being potentially extremely effective.

Alex

This may be considered heresy, but from the clips of the Millenia and the ART Tube MP on basstasters.com, I could not discern a priceworthy difference between the base sound. I feel if I can't hear a substantial difference in a solo recording, then I imagine it'll have negligible impact in a live mix.

I'd love to try all these amazing preamps out, but unfortunately there just isn't the time, money or place to do this... bar bassdirect of course...

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='358813' date='Dec 19 2008, 02:07 PM']This may be considered heresy, but from the clips of the Millenia and the ART Tube MP on basstasters.com, I could not discern a priceworthy difference between the base sound. I feel if I can't hear a substantial difference in a solo recording, then I imagine it'll have negligible impact in a live mix.[/quote]

Two things - firstly the obvious issue of how it's recorded and then how you're hearing it via the interweb. But more importantly, if you don't play through the preamp yourself how do you know what it's doing? There's a complex feedback loop between plucking the string, hearing the sound from your amp and adjusting how you play, and listening to a recording can't tell you about that.

Alex

There's no justification for that price tag. It's just a simple preamp after all. He's targeting bass players who wear Rolexes.

Of course, if you've forked out $1500 for one of these things, you are going to tell your friends how wonderful it is, aren't you?

[quote]Two things - firstly the obvious issue of how it's recorded and then how you're hearing it via the interweb. But more importantly, if you don't play through the preamp yourself how do you know what it's doing? There's a complex feedback loop between plucking the string, hearing the sound from your amp and adjusting how you play, and listening to a recording can't tell you about that.[/quote]
This is true. Which is why I'd want to try such preamps out.

[quote]There's no justification for that price tag. It's just a simple preamp after all. He's targeting bass players who wear Rolexes.[/quote]
Hmmm... whilst I don't think it's a small amount of money, and I'd certainly think twice about ever dropping down that much money on just one element in my soundchain, for some tone-freaks that is a small price to pay if it gets you a subjectively better tone.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='358831' date='Dec 19 2008, 02:24 PM']Hmmm... whilst I don't think it's a small amount of money, and I'd certainly think twice about ever dropping down that much money on just one element in my soundchain, for some tone-freaks that is a small price to pay if it gets you a subjectively better tone.[/quote]

Of course. And many people will assume it's better just because it's more expensive. I'll eat my hat if there's a circuit diagram freely available.

Once you get past a certain price point, selling prices bear no relationship to the cost of manufacture. This is applicable to all consumer goods.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='358823' date='Dec 19 2008, 02:14 PM']But more importantly, if you don't play through the preamp yourself how do you know what it's doing? There's a complex feedback loop between plucking the string, hearing the sound from your amp and adjusting how you play, and listening to a recording can't tell you about that.[/quote]

So, choosing a preamp is a bit like choosing a condom, Alex?

[quote name='mcgraham' post='358687' date='Dec 19 2008, 11:51 AM'][url="http://www.michaelpopedesign.com"]www.michaelpopedesign.com[/url]

Sorry about that! Looked it up as an afterthought.

It just intrigues me. I'm definitely on the lookout for a good preamp, now that I've gotten to grips with my Berg. I'm not looking in that price bracket just yet, but it still intrigues me.[/quote]

Ooh-ooh! Tell me about your Berg!!! Have you tried it with a Summit Audio TD100 (I'm assuming that you got your Berg from Bass Direct)?

By the way, Mike Pope can't half play, the bastard!

My Berg is excellent :) I didn't get it from BassDirect, I got it second hand/multiple hand off of Owen who is a member on BC. I believe he got it off another BC'er before that who got it from.... etc etc. But I was convinced of their worth when playing at BassDirect. One of the things left to get now is the extension cabinet. I've got a Berg HS115 that I'll sell eventually the fund that (still in the packaging).

Essentially, it's a one cabinet solution for even large function rooms designed to kill sound. With a good preamp (I consider the ART Tube MP I'm presently using to be decent/good, if a little sparse on features) it reaches great volumes and sounds full, rarely needing PA support except for monitoring.

What else do you want to know about it?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='360270' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:27 PM']My Berg is excellent :) I didn't get it from BassDirect, I got it second hand/multiple hand off of Owen who is a member on BC. I believe he got it off another BC'er before that who got it from.... etc etc. But I was convinced of their worth when playing at BassDirect. One of the things left to get now is the extension cabinet. I've got a Berg HS115 that I'll sell eventually the fund that (still in the packaging).

Essentially, it's a one cabinet solution for even large function rooms designed to kill sound. With a good preamp (I consider the ART Tube MP I'm presently using to be decent/good, if a little sparse on features) it reaches great volumes and sounds full, rarely needing PA support except for monitoring.

What else do you want to know about it?

Mark[/quote]

Got to say I've been on the BassDirect site on numerous occasions and have been sorely tempted to get the old credit card out and have done with it. However, what with the impending recession, the unfavourable exchange rate, Christmas and the knowledge that the wife will definitely kick me out if I do, I've managed to resist (so far). On the other hand I work my nuts off and never even treat myself to a magazine, so I feel that next year could be the year when I allow myself the luxury of buying a proper top end rig, and the Berg is the one I have my eye on. Sure, it's darned expensive, but it would hopefully be my final amp purchase, so the size and portabilty issue is a big factor to consider for my advancing years. I'm used to 4x10's, but on the few occasions I've tried 12's I've loved their ability to cut through a loud stage mix, and from what I've read the Berg isn't just any cab! The only thing I feel a little unsure about is the slap sound compared to the 10's. How do you find it?

I think I posted about the slap sound in your other thread, but I'll embellish a little here. I find the slap sound to be great as the sound is so even and tight all over. The tweeter is a lot sweeter sounding and less in your face/abrasive/aggressive than standard piezo tweeters. Ask Mark @ BD about it for the full run down. As such I do tend to dial in just a little extra treble on the top end as I'm a fan of Marcus Miller sizzle in my slap sound, not so much into the darker slap sounds that Larry Graham, or Stuart Zender went for. It's a marginal amount though and it's my personal preference. If you're used to playing more run of the mill bass cabs (or even slightly higher end ones) you won't be disappointed.

I used to have a Schroeder with very clean amps running through it (Acoustic Image and Thunderfunk). It cut really well, and was very prominent in the mix, it filled the room fairly well and didn't need much PA support. However, despite the less aggressive treble, the Berg cuts BETTER than the Schroeder, sits beautifully, sounds even and full and all throughout the room and [i]doesn't [/i]need PA support. And I barely have it turned up. AND I don't yet have the extension cab. Make of that what you will.

If you want to treat yourself to this rig brand new, fair enough. But I'd hold off for a bit to see if anyone puts one up for sale second hand, as it's not a small amount of money to be throwing about for something that you could potentially get for half the price.

Mark