Why become a member? ×

4003 bridge questions

BrunoBass

As I gather the Rickenbacker 4003 bridge is widely considered a bit of a pain I was surprised that searching the forum does not show any answers to the following questions. So here goes: 

What do the two circular screws either side of the bridge actually do? On my bridge (pictured) the G side screw just rotates freely, and the E side screw is tight but moves, affecting the tuning, without any element of the bridge actually moving (as far as I can see).

Does anyone know the size of Allen key needed to adjust the string height (the plate that the intonation saddles sit on)? None of mine fit. 

Deep inside the bridge under each string are soft rubber pads. String mutes, I assume, but how do I deploy them? 

Thanks in advance. I’m enjoying my 4003, but there’s a thin line between being quirky and being irksome.

B3C002BD-605C-4E38-B6C7-DD8F364CDC66.jpeg

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

The allen key will probably be an Imperial size - if your set is metric there won't be one that fits. Don't know the exact size though.

Yeah I’ll have to get a set, I thought one of my sets was imperial but obviously not. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

The circular screws are there to raise and lower the mute. Sounds like the G side has been unscrewed far enough to come out of the tray which holds the foam- the misalignment would make the E side harder to turn, which also fits the situation!

You may need to remove the bridge and relocate the screw into the tray. The muted sound isn't really the typical Rick sound, so if you're after the ringing twang and grid, the mute will take that away. It can be a great sound though, I love it, but then I have other basses with permanently afixed mutes, so my tastes can lean in that direction anyway!

Thanks for clearing that up! I can’t see myself using mutes on this bass really so I’m happy to leave it as if is. 

Agree though, I’ve got a bit of sponge permanently wedged under the strings of my ‘51 type Precision, sounds great.

6 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

The two knurled knobs raise or lower the (missing?) mute pad

bridge height adjustment screws are 1/16" allen

truss rod requires a very slim 1/4" socket and manual bending of the neck

1/16” Allen - great, many thanks.