Why become a member? ×

So much choice, so little money: chorus/flangers?

bobbass4k

It's christmas time, and i'm getting an extra present this year, £500 completely free from the government because i sit around drinking beer and go to just enough lectures not to get kicked out :). As usual, student loan time = new pedal time, i'm gonna add a modded Bad Monkey (SilentFly, if you're reading this, you will have a PM sometime soon) and a chorus to my board.......and actually build a board. Ahem.

My initial thought was a CEB-3, but looking around a lot of other things are catching my attention, the small clone, the nano-clone, the cool cat even the phase 90, but mostly the new electric mistress, it looks quite interesting, any advice on any of these? I've heard good things about the cool cat for high end stuff, which is mostly what i'd be using it for.

Anybody got any experience with the electric mistress? Is the chorus good on it's own? I'd definitley use its flanger and filter capabilities too, and i dont mind the chorus not being fantastic

cheers

Edited by bobbass4k

Sorry can't help you with the Mistress, but I've had experiences with both the Nano Clone and Stone and both the Small Clone and Stone. First I'll start with the Clones -

I found the Small Clone to be a pretty nice pedal, it wouldn't go as subtle as say the CEB-3 would but it would go subtle enough for most people I expect. What it did do well, was get a really wet and lush, full chorus sound. Lost no bottom end that I noticed, no volume drop.

The Nano Clone on the other hand was just crap IMO, for lack of a better term. It didn't seem as versatile, wouldn't do subtle [u]at all[/u], lost low end and had bit of a volume drop. Simply pants.

Now for the Stones -

The Small Stone sounds pretty cool at first, nothing mind-blowing, just your bassic no-thrills phaser but it does exactly what it says on the tin...... [b]except it has a really noticeable volume drop[/b]. This was a bit gutting for me, since I was really into the sound of the pedal.

All was okay in the end though, as EHX brought out the Nano Stone, which IMO sounds exactly the same as it's big brother, but without the annoying volume drop. Perfect :)

Finally, if you ask me, the Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (big old sky blue metal versions, not the new ones) owns the Small Clone. I like both and would be happy to gig with the SC, I just like the Cool Cat a whole lot more. Does the big thick lushy sounds even better than the SC, but also does the real subtle stuff really very too. No noticeable volume drop or bass loss either.

The chorus on the EM is lovely. I was generally surprised when i got mine (Stereo Electric Mistress) as i bought it as a flanger but if i came across another one (i sold it to recoup money after an effects-related buying frenzy) i'd snap it up purely for the chorus.

The forumite i sold it mentioned he was after a good chorus, i told him to check this pedal out and after 2 mins he gave me the money!

Also +1 for the Nano Stone, takes up hardly any valuable pedal board space and sounds ace, does big, full range sweeps and is easy to use. I'm never selling mine as it does a top impression of Billy Gould from Faith No More's live stuff. If a pedal can do that, it's a keeper!

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='redzombie' post='356604' date='Dec 17 2008, 06:32 AM']Sorry can't help you with the Mistress, but I've had experiences with both the Nano Clone and Stone and both the Small Clone and Stone. First I'll start with the Clones -

I found the Small Clone to be a pretty nice pedal, it wouldn't go as subtle as say the CEB-3 would but it would go subtle enough for most people I expect. What it did do well, was get a really wet and lush, full chorus sound. Lost no bottom end that I noticed, no volume drop.

The Nano Clone on the other hand was just crap IMO, for lack of a better term. It didn't seem as versatile, wouldn't do subtle [u]at all[/u], lost low end and had bit of a volume drop. Simply pants.

Now for the Stones -

The Small Stone sounds pretty cool at first, nothing mind-blowing, just your bassic no-thrills phaser but it does exactly what it says on the tin...... [b]except it has a really noticeable volume drop[/b]. This was a bit gutting for me, since I was really into the sound of the pedal.

All was okay in the end though, as EHX brought out the Nano Stone, which IMO sounds exactly the same as it's big brother, but without the annoying volume drop. Perfect :)

Finally, if you ask me, the Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (big old sky blue metal versions, not the new ones) owns the Small Clone. I like both and would be happy to gig with the SC, I just like the Cool Cat a whole lot more. Does the big thick lushy sounds even better than the SC, but also does the real subtle stuff really very too. No noticeable volume drop or bass loss either.[/quote]
don't notice a volume drop with my small stone infact when it does the lower end of the sweep it gets ridiciously loud

[quote name='redzombie' post='356604' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:32 AM']The Nano Clone on the other hand was just crap IMO, for lack of a better term. It didn't seem as versatile, wouldn't do subtle [u]at all[/u], lost low end and had bit of a volume drop. Simply pants.[/quote]
Oh yes. And it´s rather noisy as well.

[quote name='redzombie' post='356604' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:32 AM']The Nano Stone, which IMO sounds exactly the same as it's big brother, but without the annoying volume drop. Perfect :)[/quote]
Indeed. I love that little box.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='356657' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:18 AM']The chorus on the EM is lovely. I was generally surprised when i got mine (Stereo Electric Mistress) as i bought it as a flanger but if i came across another one (i sold it to recoup money after an effects-related buying frenzy) i'd snap it up purely for the chorus.

The forumite i sold it mentioned he was after a good chorus, i told him to check this pedal out and after 2 mins he gave me the money!

Also +1 for the Nano Stone, takes up hardly any valuable pedal board space and sounds ace, does big, full range sweeps and is easy to use. I'm never selling mine as it does a top impression of Billy Gould from Faith No More's live stuff. If a pedal can do that, it's a keeper![/quote]
Lemmywinks bought both these off me and i will echo what he says

[quote name='umph' post='356832' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:07 PM']don't notice a volume drop with my small stone infact when it does the lower end of the sweep it gets ridiciously loud[/quote]

When did you buy yours? I had mine back in 2005, I've also heard a few other people claim the same thing back before the Nano Stone came out. I'm wondering if they corrected the problem, at the same time that they nano-fied it.

[quote name='redzombie' post='356974' date='Dec 17 2008, 02:19 PM']When did you buy yours? I had mine back in 2005, I've also heard a few other people claim the same thing back before the Nano Stone came out. I'm wondering if they corrected the problem, at the same time that they nano-fied it.[/quote]
i got mine about 2 years ago second hand so it might be a bit of an earlier one than yours

[quote name='umph' post='356832' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:07 PM']don't notice a volume drop with my small stone infact when it does the lower end of the sweep it gets ridiciously loud[/quote]

plus the one...i got mine a year or so ago.

i'm willing to part with it, bobbass - if you're interested

[quote name='ahpook' post='357939' date='Dec 18 2008, 02:26 PM']plus the one...i got mine a year or so ago.

i'm willing to part with it, bobbass - if you're interested[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but im not really after a small stone.

If anyones got a coolcat chorus, old metal sky blue one, a new style electric mistress, or a small clone, they're willing to part with drop me a pm

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='358609' date='Dec 19 2008, 10:23 AM']Hey people, just took the plunge and bought [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130275905854"]this[/url], thanks for the advice people![/quote]

It looks an interesting pedal.

I am tempted to buy one and do some mods... :)